Google I/O 2016: Android deployment rate slips backward by 20 percent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Just pointing out that Is purposefully being misleading as many places where you can buy a new iPhone 5s market it with iOS 7...
    If you do manage somehow to buy an older device running iOS 7, it will prompt you to upgrade as soon as possible.

Also, Im an iOS developer and use dozens of phones at work for testing. Many are older devices that have been upgraded to new os's, and not a single one of them has been "upgraded to un-usability". In fact, in many cases they work better than they did before, as Apple is continually upgrading iOS's background and process capabilities.

So is Google, for that matter. It's just that there many people are functionally unable to upgrade Android devices, so it doesn't matter.
    jbdragonbaconstangpatchythepiratetmay
  • Reply 22 of 42
    hmlongco said:
    Just pointing out that Is purposefully being misleading as many places where you can buy a new iPhone 5s market it with iOS 7...
    If you do manage somehow to buy an older device running iOS 7, it will prompt you to upgrade as soon as possible.

Also, Im an iOS developer and use dozens of phones at work for testing. Many are older devices that have been upgraded to new os's, and not a single one of them has been "upgraded to un-usability". In fact, in many cases they work better than they did before, as Apple is continually upgrading iOS's background and process capabilities.

So is Google, for that matter. It's just that there many people are functionally unable to upgrade Android devices, so it doesn't matter.
    I was pointing out he was using an add to claim vzw was selling a phone on 4.4 and I claimed that phone has an update available. I said it is the sane as if someone posted a iPhone 5s running  7.x for sell. But we know it can be updated to 9.x 
    dasanman69
  • Reply 23 of 42
    P-DogNC said:
    So...a Galaxy S5 can be upgraded to a 2 year old OS the moment you bring it home. That should be noted in the original article. However, it should also be noted that a five-year-old iPhone 4s, if one purchased it used, could instantly be upgraded to the latest version of iOS the moment it is brought home. That does not solve the fragmentation issue within the premium android smartphone market and was the entire point of the original article in the first place.
    Here is my contention with this. While you can buy that 4s and update it to the latest software version it does not ran like it did when it was on 5.0 it runs really poorly. I'm sure we could get into a discussion if you want about the pros and cons of the different update methods. Apple is better but they have a habbit on record of updating to oblivion. There are much fewer pros on the Android side but there are some positives. 
  • Reply 24 of 42
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    It is NOT the same, because that S5 Samsung CANNOT be updated to the latest OS - which is precisely the point of this article: people aren't upgrading to the latest Android versions! 

It would be similar if that 5s still sold today were only upgradeable to iOS 8 (though Android L was replaced by M six months earlier than iOS 9 was released).
    edited May 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 42
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    spheric said:
    It is NOT the same, because that S5 Samsung CANNOT be updated to the latest OS - which is precisely the point of this article: people aren't upgrading to the latest Android versions! 

It would be similar if that 5s still sold today were only upgradeable to iOS 8 (though Android L was replaced by M six months earlier than iOS 9 was released).
    You do know your statement is incorrect. The galaxy S5 can be update to 6.0.1 at least. If you have a carrier locked version and they don't release the update then that's a different matter but it can be updated. Though if it can be updated to N could also be another thing.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 26 of 42
    spheric said:

But we can wager in the next few months that it will get the update to marshmallow. I would love to have a discussion about this. I acknowledge Apple is better at updates. I also don't see that large of a problem on Android. Security updates are independent and are released monthly. Most SDK hooks are in play services. It is a problem in reality Google has done a phenomenal job breaking things out of Android to bypass the OEM and carriers. Remember we are comparing apples to oranges. Apple has a vertical intergration this is one of the benefits to that. Google has an open intergration this is one of the downsides to it. No matter what we compromise. With Nexus I don't have to compromise software.
    singularitydasanman69
  • Reply 27 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    With Nexus I don't have to compromise software.
    But with Nexus you are compromising on hardware; on the software side, you are being tracked and data-mined up the wazoo and seeing the world through Google's glasses. You're even paying Google a hefty price for the privilege of enhancing its "AI"*. It's Google that should be paying you.

*Don't ask a tensor network how it knows anything or if it understands anything at all.
    dasanman69baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    cropr said:
    I am Dutch speaking, living in Belgium and Siri understands roughly me 1 of out 8 times, and if it understands the question correctly, it gives most of time non localized answers.  
    I am American-English-New Yawk speaking, living in the USA, and SIRI understands me roughly 99 out of 100 times. It works fine here.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 29 of 42
    cpsro said:
    With Nexus I don't have to compromise software.
    But with Nexus you are compromising on hardware; on the software side, you are being tracked and data-mined up the wazoo and seeing the world through Google's glasses. You're even paying Google a hefty price for the privilege of enhancing its "AI"*. It's Google that should be paying you.

*Don't ask a tensor network how it knows anything or if it understands anything at all. MN

This forum is not letting me reply correctly.

As for Nexus hardware. The 5x is better then SE in my opinion. I still know my opinion will be attacked but it has a better screen for my needs.

Google does use my info for targeted adds. Google for the last ten years have not abused that trust I don't have any fear they will in the future 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 30 of 42
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    spheric said:
    I notice that DED uses an example of a vzw GS5 a phone that coindently is upgradable to to Android 5.0 lollipop. Just pointing out that Is purposefully being misleading as many places where you can buy a new iPhone 5s market it with iOS 7 we all know the truth there.

As far as software updates Android manufacturers will often stop updating phones when they will not stand to benefit from the update and it will cause negative user experience. Apple tends to never do this sometimes updating phones to they are unusable. Just pointing out a few observations. And for your pleasure a screen shot of my device. some smart people go the Nexus route. If only more people knew it could be Apple vs Nexus true great devices
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim that the places where you can still buy new 5s do not have significant numbers of that phone in stock. Certainly no major provider is pushing them just to get rid of all the stock they never managed to sell (these are very probably all phones that Samsung "shipped" one and two years ago, padding their numbers).

It's cute that this phone can be upgraded to a system that is then merely a year out of date, with no hope of being upgraded beyond that. If you really want to argue Android superiority, my recommendation is that you DO NOT TOUCH upon update availability.

Judging by sales numbers of the Nexus devices, there are apparently very, very few "smart people" using Android. This article is not about them, anyway.
    My sister got the latest update on her GS5 quite a while ago. AI shouldn't hide facts
    singularitydasanman69
  • Reply 31 of 42
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    "Android 5 Marshmallow was not a high powered release targeting only expensive, premium Android phones."

Really? Android 5 was lollipoplollipop..
  • Reply 32 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Google does use my info for targeted adds. Google for the last ten years have not abused that trust I don't have any fear they will in the future 
    You are super naive if you think that's all Google has used--and intends to use--your data for. As I said, Android/Google users are data mined up the wazoo and, even if they discontinue using Google software/services, past data is still on record and will still be mined.
    baconstangai46patchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 42
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    spheric said:

But we can wager in the next few months that it will get the update to marshmallow. I would love to have a discussion about this. I acknowledge Apple is better at updates. I also don't see that large of a problem on Android. Security updates are independent and are released monthly. Most SDK hooks are in play services. It is a problem in reality Google has done a phenomenal job breaking things out of Android to bypass the OEM and carriers. Remember we are comparing apples to oranges. Apple has a vertical intergration this is one of the benefits to that. Google has an open intergration this is one of the downsides to it. No matter what we compromise. With Nexus I don't have to compromise software.
    "With Nexus I don't have to compromise software." Really? Apparently you do have to "update security every month". Laughable.... No, sad.
    ai46
  • Reply 34 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    edit
    edited May 2016 apple v. samsungdasanman69
  • Reply 35 of 42
    freerange said:
    "With Nexus I don't have to compromise software." Really? Apparently you do have to "update security every month". Laughable.... No, sad.
    Some thing tells me Google could not ever be right in your mind. Please tell me what's wrong with a phone being consistently updated for security.
    singularitymjhnlsphericcnocbuistaticx57
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    iushnt said:
    spheric said:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim that the places where you can still buy new 5s do not have significant numbers of that phone in stock. Certainly no major provider is pushing them just to get rid of all the stock they never managed to sell (these are very probably all phones that Samsung "shipped" one and two years ago, padding their numbers).

It's cute that this phone can be upgraded to a system that is then merely a year out of date, with no hope of being upgraded beyond that. If you really want to argue Android superiority, my recommendation is that you DO NOT TOUCH upon update availability.

Judging by sales numbers of the Nexus devices, there are apparently very, very few "smart people" using Android. This article is not about them, anyway.
    My sister got the latest update on her GS5 quite a while ago. AI shouldn't hide facts
    You're confusing facts with an anecdote. The fact the Google reports is that the active Android installed base is falling behind. It doesn't matter what you report that your sister does. It matters what is statistically occurring across millions of users. 
  • Reply 37 of 42
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    iushnt said:
    spheric said:

Sorry.  I was going by what the poster I was responding to had claimed. Maybe the S5 is actually an example of the few well-supported Android phones.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Sadly data mining is real, and Google must live with that disgrace even though their initial plan was 'only' for their ads tracking. By providing the platform, they are guilty for allowing third parties to exploit the data and who knows what else they will do with that. What I know is the number of specific spammers and user customised ad-bait-clicks, from stealing off my google account, has been increasing exponentially in these recent years.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    P-DogNC said:
    So...a Galaxy S5 can be upgraded to a 2 year old OS the moment you bring it home. That should be noted in the original article. However, it should also be noted that a five-year-old iPhone 4s, if one purchased it used, could instantly be upgraded to the latest version of iOS the moment it is brought home. That does not solve the fragmentation issue within the premium android smartphone market and was the entire point of the original article in the first place.
    Here is my contention with this. While you can buy that 4s and update it to the latest software version it does not ran like it did when it was on 5.0 it runs really poorly. I'm sure we could get into a discussion if you want about the pros and cons of the different update methods. Apple is better but they have a habbit on record of updating to oblivion. There are much fewer pros on the Android side but there are some positives. 
    Your contention is WRONG everything else is blah blah blah.

In my family we are using the 3GS (some people said 6.1.6 made it "slow"), 4s, 5s, 6s, Ipad Air 2 and Ipad Pro 9.7, so I've got a good idea how those things work RIGHT NOW; not in my imaginary scenario in my head (Some like the Air 2 and 5s we have 3 of each).
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    The fragmentation issues involving Google are a major issue. However, Google has a far deeper problem that involves the impending loss of their major source of advertising revenues. 

Until they answer the question of how they are going to make up the loss of Amazon's advertising revenue, they are in serious trouble. 

iOS isn't Google's real problem. It's Amazon. Amazon does compete with Apple in media, but Apple isn't dependent on Amazon for a major portion of its revenues and profits. 

It's a matter of when, not if Amazon reduces its ad payments to Google. It's becoming evident even now with Google's revenue miss on their most recent earnings call. Google is increasing the number of search based clicks dramatically, but the amount they are being paid is rapidly declining. 

A major factor in the decline is that the users who are making online purchases are doing so primarily on Amazon and using the Amazon app to do so. 

Amazon no longer needs to pay a premium to Google for directing their search results to the Amazon website. In fact, the day is coming when Amazon will not need to pay Google at all for search generated clicks. And when the dominant e-commerce merchant reduces or stops paying for Google's search generated clicks, Alphabet will be in serious trouble. 
    patchythepirate