I am sick and tired of Apples lame excuses!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Blaming everything on "recession" (or whatever they choose to call it). What recession, I ask? Look at the iPod. How much recession can there be when people still can afford to buy 400$ walkmen.

(note: I don't have anything against the iPod. In fact I would love to buy one, but, you know...the economy...).

Take a look at the iMac. It hasn't been updated since January!!! (No, the 17" was not a real update, instead it was an addition to the iMac line)

Truth is, the "bad" economy is not the main problem facing Apple right now. If Apple had competitive products they would sell like hot-cakes - recession or no recession.

Of course Motorola and IBM are to blame for the GHz gap, but with that in mind Apple could still make their products competitive in all other areas.

Anyway, I'm buying a new PowerBook november 5 (hopefully), so you can spare the usual "quit the whining, go buy a dell" comments. thanks I'm just pissed about the tired retoric coming from Apple...blame it on the economy....bah

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: Power Apple ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    [quote] Blaming everything on "recession" (or whatever they choose to call it). What recession, I ask? <hr></blockquote>

There is definitely a recession, at least in America.

While I am glad you got that off your chest, I doubt there is anything more to be said.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Resession or not, the problem is that too many people buy PCs instead of Macs. That's the core problem. The lineup is fine for me as SOHO user but for serious work it isn't and it doesn't give most people reason to upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by mrmister:

<strong>

There is definitely a recession, at least in America.

While I am glad you got that off your chest, I doubt there is anything more to be said.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If there is a recession in America, there is one all over the world. Maybe that's why they are all pissed at us?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Oh yeah?

We're not technically in recession, last time I checked. Sorry to bust ya bubble.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    while a recession affects all computer companies, Apple will be worst hit as people will look to even cheaper computers for their needs.

Given current prices, Apple can't hope to do well in this recession
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I'm sure Steve Jobs is well aware of the gargantuan proportions of the performance gap, and he undoubtedly understands that the reason for sluggish Powermac sales is directly related to this performance gap.

But what is Jobs going to say in public? He can't very well tell the public that sales are down because the current Powermacs are dogs. He's got to maintain an image for Apple, or else sales would slump even further.

What is said behind closed doors at Apple is far different than what is said to the media. Remember that next time you start to lose it over the latest soundbite of an Apple exec blaming the economy.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That's quite possible, but it's more likely that Steve is playing up a truth: It is a simple fact that the economy is struggling, that designers are being laid off and trying to find work, that the tech sector isn't doing well. I know talented, experienced developers who can't find work in Atlanta... and they used to be offered jobs all the time. Adobe just laid off a lot of people, apparently.

It might not be a recession, but it's not good news. That means Apple can point to it as a satisfactory answer, whether or not the performance of their high-end machines is also an issue. Dawg is right that Steve can dodge in public, but if he does he has to have a plausible dodge.

As to the iPod: In the US at least, consumers are still spending, despite all. It's the corporate sector that's cutting back right now. That directly impacts a lot of Apple customers.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The fact is

Apple's current product offerings suck

End of story.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    That's why I like Leonis.

Honest and succinct.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This is why I am not going to post on this topic anymore: The doomsayers just say "Apple sucks" until all arguments are exhausted, and are then exalted for their honesty.

The same people will always say that Apple's hardware sucks no matter what they release. Mark my words.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Reason I said their products suck because they don't deserve to wear such an insane price tag

If they really have a lot of performance advantage I wouldn't mind paying more.

I never say things suck without valid reason
  • Reply 12 of 25
    5% market share of a market with negitive growth + less than competive prices = apple.

But hey somehow they are still in business, that's more than you can say about Compaq, and Parkard Bell(at least not in the US market, thank god)
  • Reply 13 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Leonis is absolutely right. For the prices that Apple charges, the hardware sucks.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>What is said behind closed doors at Apple is far different than what is said to the media. Remember that next time you start to lose it over the latest soundbite of an Apple exec blaming the economy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not only that, I expect Apple aren't looking at the here and now, including the current economic situation, they're looking a year or two down the line. I'd imagine as soon as a product is released, it's come and gone as far as Apple is concerned. Perhaps the Apple labs are full of new hardware that gives the execs full confidence in the future.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 25
    We may not be in a recession, but the COMPUTER market is definatly super saturated...everyone owns a million computers already they don't need more...3,4 years ago the market boomed, everyone wanted a computer all of a sudden, sure most people had them at that point, but people still wanted more.

its hard for apple who already owns such a small percentage of the market, to expand when most people are like "well the dell I got last time worked for me..I guess, I'll just get another"

everytime people buy a computer is not necesarilly a moment when they are considering alot of options...people buy what they feel comfortable with, and that makes it extremely difficult to get people to buy Apple computers, when most people have heard so many misconceptions and bad ideas about macs and the mac os.

the iPod was released during the tail end of an MP3 player booming market...everyone wanted an Mp3 player...they don't get half as much press and hoopla generated anymore, but a year ago it was a totally different story...now that everyone has an mp3 player that market is saturated too.

granted the iPod is without question the best mp3 player out there for most purposes and its still selling well because of that.

Apple needs to put alot of guns behind its switch campaign, cause once people go mac its hard to go back.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: Wrong Robust ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robust:

<strong>cause once people go mac its hard to go back.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That isn't what I am seeing, I am seeing alot of long time and even lifelong Mac users switching to the PC.

People who would once get into a physical fight defending the honour of the mac, people who used to garnish casual conversation with terms such as "PC Weenie" are buying PC's in large numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Obviously, that's been happening since about 1993. It's not entirely a one-way street, but Apple has to struggle and claw its way through this year, just like every other year. Nothing's really changed, except that Apple has been attracting more geeks, the Mac isn't quite the "toy" people used to call it when backed into a corner, and generally is more, uh, "tolerated" in circles despite their struggles. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    People seem to forget that the talk of Apple's demise has been going on for a decade or so.

It ain't gonna happen. It's a company with a niche market that may never grow much larger than 5%. I won't use the car analogy but let's look at a company like Bang & Olufsen. Been around for years with products priced out of this world. But it's still around.

But should the sky fall, someone will be there to buy it and keep it alive. There's just too much invested in Macintosh based industries (primarily publishing and design) for anyone to let it just die.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: satchmo ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I sell both Macs and PC's and I have since 1991.

This is the first time I have seen large numbers of the "rabid" mac users switching to PC's

It is like the boy who cried wolf, apple is dying, the sky is falling.

However, this time Apple actually is dying. Apple won't have their own wedge on the piechart at the rate Apple is losing marketshare, before long Apple will be doinging the "Other" wedge
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    We will see.