New photo purports to show 'iPhone 7' shell with single, raised rear camera opening

Posted:
in iPhone
A new image, claimed to depict a genuine rear shell for Apple's "iPhone 7," may support some other recent leaks pointing to the device's design features.

The part -- shared on Weibo -- has a significantly larger camera opening than the iPhone 6s, though still with an elevated "bump" like that device. This conflicts with one-time rumors that Apple was intending to eliminate the bump, but matches recent schematics leaks and another supposed shell piece.

If the new part is authentic, it would discredit a dummy shell that emerged over the weekend, since the latter positioned the flash under the camera lens, instead of to the side. The dummy also featured four speaker ports, whereas rumors have pointed to the "iPhone 7" having two at most.

Also present on the new part are relocated antenna bands, found only across the top and bottom edges, instead of across the back like all 6-series iPhones. Reports have almost universally supported this change.

While the shell's authenticity is difficult to gauge, 9to5Mac noted that the source previously leaked an accurate iPhone 6 design.

Apple is expected to ship two new iPhones this September. The second -- a 5.5-inch "Plus" model -- may be the centerpiece with upgrades like a dual-lens camera, 3 gigabytes of RAM, and/or a Smart Connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Keep up the great work Apple
  • Reply 2 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The antenna lines seem extra thick.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    There's something pure in this design that I hadn't felt in iPhones for years. It's surprising what difference small tweaks can make.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 43
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I hope not. Not liking the looks of this at all. Time to get serious.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wish the antenna line was thinner but other than that it's a slab of aluminum. Not sure how that has suddenly become ugly.
    calinolamacguyirelandfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 43
    LPmagooLPmagoo Posts: 5member
    The 7 is shaping up just like my 6S...MEH! Don't know why I got the 6S ...the 7 looks even less compelling!!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    amazing to see people are actually believing this one...nice carpet.
    And just out of curiosity, what do you want them to do to the back of the phone that would excite you to upgrade? The majority of people have their phone in cases...
    edited May 2016 caliradarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 43
    NY1822 said:
    The majority of people have their phone in cases...
    And mostly look at the front. 
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Wish the antenna line was thinner but other than that it's a slab of aluminum. Not sure how that has suddenly become ugly.
    It's become meh and ugly..just like my first marriage after 6 months.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    TMI.
    patchythepiratedasanman69[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 43
    So are the Mac laptops meh? iPads too?
    calinolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 43

Cobra101 said:
    Aluminum is fine. Fat ugly antenna line i not.

And the white line with the gold and rose gold is very hideous.

The antenna lines on the space graay are not quite so bad.

I don't think that would have passed the Steve Jobs sniff test.
    Ha, you don't like something so you have to throw around Steve Jobs name to make your opinion seem more valid. You have no idea what would or wouldn't have passed the "Steve Jobs sniff test". These all passed:

edited May 2016 ihatescreennamesradarthekatpatchythepiratenolamacguyRayz2016[Deleted User]fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 43
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    I never understood the appeal of the cheap plastic iMac, iBook, etc. They are the most garish designs in computing history. Translucent plastic? Blech.

• Reply 14 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    So are the Mac laptops meh? iPads too?
    He's a troll just laugh at him and move on.

Kinda funny how people get mad at Apple for rumors. Another funny part in the article is where it says "if this rumor is real it discredits the other rumor".

I do prefer these antenna lines than the ones that cross through the back, NOW THOSE are ugly. like iPhone 6, fandroids will reach into the pool of 4,000+ knockoff phones and say Apple copied one of them.

LPmagoo said:
    The 7 is shaping up just like my 6S...MEH! Don't know why I got the 6S ...the 7 looks even less compelling!!

This doesn't make sense no matter which way you read it. Why do trolls have the lowest reading and writing capability?
    Oops answered my own question!

patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 43
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    An integrated 3D sensor like the PrimeSense Capri would be awesome.
    Get your 3D printer ASAP. 
  • Reply 16 of 43
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Cobra101 said:
    Aluminum is fine. Fat ugly antenna line i not.

And the white line with the gold and rose gold is very hideous.

The antenna lines on the space graay are not quite so bad.

I don't think that would have passed the Steve Jobs sniff test.
    Ha, you don't like something so you have to throw around Steve Jobs name to make your opinion seem more valid. You have no idea what would or wouldn't have passed the "Steve Jobs sniff test". These all passed:

And they were all great. (except maybe for 'fatty")
    I still don't know what was so horrible about a "GOLD" iPod Mini.  I mean... "GOLD"  you gotta be kidding right?
    I still have mine. Super collectors item!

Edit: Also, the iBook was a work of genius. Flip-up keyboard for easy upgrade of RAM or "Airport" card (Note; the term "WiFi" hadn't even been invented yet at that time).

Problem is; you're just not looking at these things within their own context.
    edited May 2016 radarthekatnolamacguydiplication
  • Reply 17 of 43
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Where is the uproar over the rear of iPads or MacBooks?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 18 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    bobschlob said:

I still don't know what was so horrible about a "GOLD" iPod Mini.  I mean... "GOLD"  you gotta be kidding right?
    The "fatty" Nano was actually my favorite. It had the right size screen and easier to hold than the skinny models. had that color too. LOL
  • Reply 19 of 43
    mike1 said:
    bobschlob said:
    The "fatty" Nano was actually my favorite. It had the right size screen and easier to hold than the skinny models. had that color too. LOL
    Yeah, I din't 'hate' the Fatty. (not my favorite) but had a great screen.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    As to the picture of this new case;

I don't usually bother to comment on these pictures (a [extra] waste of time). But this is the fakest one I've seen so far.
    I can guarantee that Apple would never EVER make a camera lens "bump" with that sharp edge. It would be cutting holes in peoples pockets like a firkin hole-punch.