Rumor: Apple prepping as many as 78 million 'iPhone 7' units for launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has reportedly instructed its supply chain to produce between 72 million and 78 million of the so-called "iPhone 7" in the run-up to that device's expected launch this fall.

If Apple does reach that figure, first noted by Taiwan's Economic Daily News, it will mark the highest launch target since the iPhone 6. That could mean that Apple views new features shipping with the iPhone 7 in the same category as the screen size jumps that came alongside the iPhone 6.

Unsurprisingly, Foxconn will reportedly continue to carry the mail when it comes to iPhone production. The Taiwan-based firm -- which bases its factories primarily in mainland China -- has hundreds of thousands of workers dedicated to Apple's mobile device business.

After reporting its first-ever quarterly iPhone sales decline last month, Apple watchers are looking toward the iPhone 7 to improve the company's fortunes.

Relatively little is known about the new iPhone, though it is expected to ship with an advanced camera setup that could include a dual-lens system. Rumors have consistently pointed toward an OLED-based display for future iPhones, though it's not clear whether such a component would make its way to the iPhone 7 or wait for one more generation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    If they're releasing the iPhone 7 or what is pretty much an iPhone 6ss that looks a lot like the iPhone 6 then Apple has grossly overestimated their orders. They're in for a wide awakening.
    asdasd
  • Reply 2 of 33
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    If they're releasing the iPhone 7 or what is pretty much an iPhone 6ss that looks a lot like the iPhone 6 then Apple has grossly overestimated their orders. They're in for a wide awakening.

I THINK Apple has a pretty good idea of upgrade/purchase patterns, vectored with the new specs/features. I'm saying, better than you do...
    mdriftmeyercalitmayslprescottmwhiteradarthekatcintosericthehalfbeebaconstangfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 33
    thrang said:

I THINK Apple has a pretty good idea of upgrade/purchase patterns, vectored with the new specs/features. I'm saying, better than you do...
    Seems their idea of upgrade/purchase patterns, vectored with the new specs/features didn't quiet pan out with the iPhone 6s. 
    asdasdcanukstorm
  • Reply 4 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Seems like wishful thinking considering the current state of 6s sales for what is rumored to be an essentially unchanged design, and rumored lack of headphone jack ... The specs had better be amazing, with a top secret feature no one can live without. But who knows, a purple iPhone and dual focus cameras may be enough to create another product launch surge.
    edited May 2016 asdasd
  • Reply 5 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mac_128 said:
    Seems like wishful thinking considering the current state of 6s sales for what is rumored to be an essentially unchanged design, and rumored lack of headphone jack ... The specs had better be amazing, with a top secret feature no one can live without. But who knows, a purple iPhone and dual focus cameras may be enough to create another product launch surge.
    I'd be very surprised if Apple overestimated orders for the iPhone 7. I think they've got a pretty good gauge at what demand will be.
    calitmaymwhitemacky the macky
  • Reply 6 of 33
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    If the article is based on rumors than I guess that would make the "wide awakening" a rumor also. By the way what is a wide awakening?
    calimwhitecintosai46ericthehalfbeebaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 33
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    thrang said:

Seems their idea of upgrade/purchase patterns, vectored with the new specs/features didn't quiet pan out with the iPhone 6s. 
    Odd that you would say that as Apple has hit "ITS" guidance every quarter even when the analyst have missed badly.
    slprescottmwhiteradarthekatcintosai46baconstangdiplicationjony0
  • Reply 8 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why are people saying it's gonna be the same as the 6s?
    Do people own time machines or do they just lack vision?

thrang said:

6s sold more than the last S model. They did GREAT. The Apple pattern is Revolution, evolution, repeat. So expect iPhone 7 to outsell 6s.

mac_128 said:
    I'd be very surprised if Apple overestimated orders for the iPhone 7. I think they've got a pretty good gauge at what demand will be.

True. I just can't wait to see the new innovations. I find it funny how when people can't think of anything new they assume Apple can't either.
    edited May 2016 tmaymwhiteteejay2012cintospatchythepiratebaconstangfastasleepmacky the mackyjony0
  • Reply 9 of 33
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    The article doesn't mention what the iPhone 6 orders were for the launch, it would be nice to compare.  Apple can't plan to sell more phones than it plans to produce.  In any event, Apple does know what the current installed base of iPhones up to iPhone 6 is, and those are people due to replace/upgrade regardless of the feature set.  Whether it's massively better than an iPhone 6s, it will be massively better than all the phones before the 6.

Estimating sales months before a product is even announced is a risky business.  You can't really know what 78 million people will do this fall, and you certainly can't know what the economic and political situation will be. They don't really know what all their competitors will do and how their phones will be received by the market. However, Apple does have some experience at this.
    tmaycalibaconstangmacky the macky
  • Reply 10 of 33
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    mac_128 said:
    +1

With Tim being a supply-chain expert, I'm sure any production orders placed by Apple stem from strong numeric modeling, not wishful thinking.  As to whether the number of "72 - 78 million" is accurate... it's just a rumor.  But whatever the true number is, I trust Apple's ability to forecast demand.
    calimwhitefastasleepmacky the macky
  • Reply 11 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mac_128 said:
    And maybe they will be able to fulfill more orders initially rather than having many people wait an extra few weeks to take delivery.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    williamh said:
    The article doesn't mention what the iPhone 6 orders were for the launch, it would be nice to compare.  Apple can't plan to sell more phones than it plans to produce.  In any event, Apple does know what the current installed base of iPhones up to iPhone 6 is, and those are people due to replace/upgrade regardless of the feature set.  Whether it's massively better than an iPhone 6s, it will be massively better than all the phones before the 6.

Estimating sales months before a product is even announced is a risky business.  You can't really know what 78 million people will do this fall, and you certainly can't know what the economic and political situation will be. They don't really know what all their competitors will do and how their phones will be received by the market. However, Apple does have some experience at this.
    I can't agree that people with the iPhone 6 are due to upgrade regardless. I can't speak generally, but from my person life, most of everyone I know with iPhone 6/6 Plus devices are thinking about passing on this year's upgrade, myself included. Its a no-brainer to pass if rumors are true but we will see this fall. iPhone 6 Plus is running great, I won't upgrade just because it is newer. It must be different (looks and hardware) to sell at iPhone 6/6 Plus levels.

Either way, the phone will still sell fine by all standards. I just don't see Apple meeting or exceeding 6/6+ levels with a phone that looks similar with only CPU/GPU, minor camera (excluding the iPhone Plus/Pro?) upgrades. No doubt Apple has more in mind than current rumors indicate.

• Reply 13 of 33
    schmrtzzzschmrtzzz Posts: 61member
    I believe they have a pretty good feeling of what the market wants. Specially Tim. And anyway, they won't have to throw them away if they're not sold by the first of january, or am I missing something here?
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    +1

With Tim being a supply-chain expert, I'm sure any production orders placed by Apple stem from strong numeric modeling, not wishful thinking.  As to whether the number of "72 - 78 million" is accurate... it's just a rumor.  But whatever the true number is, I trust Apple's ability to forecast demand.
    There won't be 72-78 million iPhones available on launch day, and even if they make that many they'll eventually sell them. 
    volcanbaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 33
    cjcampbellcjcampbell Posts: 113member
    78 million is not that many. The 7 is targeted mainly at people who are still using the 4 and 5.

The rest of us know that the real upgrade is coming with the 8.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    +1

There won't be 72-78 million iPhones available on launch day, and even if they make that many they'll eventually sell them. 

Exactly--- something got lost in translation... on launch day... don't think so.  70Mil the quarter makes sense. As others have noted-- its very possible for 'mature markets'... there may be stagnate or a decline in sales. But that is different than total sales
  • Reply 17 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It's called "disseminating misinformation" and Apple is really good at it.  That's why there are a bunch of leaked case designs that don't coalesce into anything meaningful.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

kent909 said:
    If the article is based on rumors than I guess that would make the "wide awakening" a rumor also. By the way what is a wide awakening?
    I think he meant "rude awakening".  This is what happens when Korean trolls try to get a grasp on English colloquialism.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    thrang said:

Actually the decline in shipments was less than Apple's guidance. It was the analysts and bloggers who were off. Apple as usual know what they are doing. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 33
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    thrang said:

Their idea of upgrade/purchase patterns, vectored with new specs/features equated to 51 million phones sold, second highest quarter ever.  I'm thinking you have no idea what you're talking about.
    edited May 2016 baconstang