Spotify matches Apple Music with improved $15 Family plan

Posted:
in General Discussion
Looking to hold onto its dominance in the music streaming space, Spotify on Monday launched an upgraded Family plan, matching similar ones from Apple Music and Google Play.

The new Family plan covers up to six listeners with a lower flat rate, priced at $14.99 per month in the United States. It's in fact rolling out globally starting today, the one exception being Canada.

Spotify's previous Family offering -- launched in 2014 -- was far costlier, starting at $14.99 for two listeners and rising to $29.99 for a family of five. People on the older plans will be upgraded automatically, and should see costs drop if they have more than two family members.

Although Spotify is still well ahead of Apple in terms of listenership -- with over 30 million paid subscribers versus Apple's 13 million -- the company has been fortifying its service to try and hold that lead. In January, for instance, it launched streaming video on mobile. Recently it announced plans for original video content, looking to trump Apple's limited efforts in that area.

Competitive changes haven't been entirely one-sided. In May Apple matched Spotify's $4.99 student plan, and the company is rumored to be planning a major service revamp with a better interface and expanded Beats radio. Interface problems have been some of the chief complaints about Apple Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Spotify has recently displaced iTunes in all the local Starbucks; there's prominent marketing materials on the walls, sitting on the sugar/creamer station, etc.  Hard to miss.

(iTunes/App Store freebies were pretty subtle/low key... just a 5x7 cardboard placard with a hopper filled with cards (promotional codes).  The music offerings seemed consistently lame, but there were often interesting apps.)
    edited May 2016 techguy911cali
  • Reply 2 of 16
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    Spotify has recently displaced iTunes in all the local Starbucks; there's prominent marketing materials on the walls, sitting on the sugar/creamer station, etc.  Hard to miss.
    I wonder what Jimmy and Dre are up to these days.  Hopefully not getting ready to jump ship.
    edited May 2016 addicted44cali
  • Reply 3 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

(iTunes/App Store freebies were pretty subtle/low key... just a 5x7 cardboard placard with a hopper filled with cards (promotional codes).  The music offerings seemed consistently lame, but there were often interesting apps.)
    It's also bleeding money left and right... Clock is ticking until they turn it around.
    lostkiwicaliericthehalfbeejbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 16
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Canadian music industry... get your act together.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 5 of 16
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    I hear this '30 million' subscribers about Spotify all the time in the tech press. 
    Has anyone been able to confirm that they are not just mostly $3 for three months specials? Or something similar?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Not only Spotify but all other providers will switch to Apple Music model eventually. Apple sets again the standard.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    This could grow their paid subscriber base, but still eat into their earnings since 6 people could go in on one subscription for only 5 bucks more. Apple can rely on other services and hardware sales, but not sure where Spotify could look to compensate.   Interesting to see how this plays out. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    I am an Apple Music user but I looked at a friends Spotify UI.  It looked cleaner and more simple but I suspect AM has a deeper library.  Note also when I told my friend that the new Radiohead record had debuted (which is great BTW), he discovered it was not yet on Spotify.

This would be enough to get me to dump Spotify.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 16
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'm glad Spotify is offering this. I took advantage of their 3 month offer and have done the same with iTunes. Apple's interface for their service is just terrible. I hope it is revised soon. I probably won't subscribe to either one of them since Spotify still offers ad supported service but if I were to drop some money again it would be on Spotify. I like the Running feature where it generates playlists based off your running cadence. I also like the various listening options and just picking songs off the top charts. While Apple music has some of this the interface is again, terrible.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    This is the surest sign so far that Spotify is feeling the competition from Apple Music. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 11 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why is Spotify so afraid? They're way ahead in members aren't they?

The $15 plan is really gonna hurt them. Seems like desperation but aren't they alright with user numbers? Why bleed more when they can charge more and not lose many customers.

idk man
    lostkiwilatifbp
  • Reply 12 of 16
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Not really a Spotify fan, but the one thing they have going them is that Spotify is separate from my carefully curated iTunes library. If I could rank Spotify features I'd like to see Apple "copy", separate libraries would be at the top.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I wonder what Jimmy and Dre are up to these days.  Hopefully not getting ready to jump ship.
    Well I sure don't go to Starbucks. Never have and never will so it matters very little to me either way.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    trumptman said:
    I'm glad Spotify is offering this. I took advantage of their 3 month offer and have done the same with iTunes. Apple's interface for their service is just terrible. I hope it is revised soon. I probably won't subscribe to either one of them since Spotify still offers ad supported service but if I were to drop some money again it would be on Spotify. I like the Running feature where it generates playlists based off your running cadence. I also like the various listening options and just picking songs off the top charts. While Apple music has some of this the interface is again, terrible.
    While I don't use either, rumors are Apple Music is getting a face lift for iOS10. Should find out more at WWDC next month. I'm using Amazon Prime Music since I already pay for that service and so the music is FREE and commercial free. It's more then good enough for my needs these days.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    This is the surest sign so far that Spotify is feeling the competition from Apple Music. 
    I'd disagree. I suspect since Spotify existed prior to Apple Music, that they simply had prior agreements with less favorable terms regarding multiple subscribers. Once Apple negotiated the terms they did, Spotify was simply able to grab the same terms the next go around.

cali said:
    Why is Spotify so afraid? They're way ahead in members aren't they?

The $15 plan is really gonna hurt them. Seems like desperation but aren't they alright with user numbers? Why bleed more when they can charge more and not lose many customers.

idk man
    Is the $15 plan hurting Apple? Do family cellular plans hurt cell service providers? Most people discount when guaranteeing a bulk purchase. Apple and Spotify are getting 50% more money for likely very limited additional service.jbdragon said:

jbdragon said:
    While I don't use either, rumors are Apple Music is getting a face lift for iOS10. Should find out more at WWDC next month. I'm using Amazon Prime Music since I already pay for that service and so the music is FREE and commercial free. It's more then good enough for my needs these days.
    I really hope they do. Their curated playlists are quite confusing. You try to hit a list for say a mood and instead of being able to quickly find something, you have twenty different playlists, all relatively short by my listening standards (15-20 songs) all created by a person I guess and you don't know when or if they change for whatever reason. The non-curated playlists seem to have terrible selections as well. I find myself listening to Pandora and Spotify more just because they pick more songs I want to hear.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    vitaprimovitaprimo Posts: 14member
    I hope the interface changes are true cause Apple Music just sucks. I've been their customer from day one and I still keep going over Spotify for my streaming music. I tried cancelling Spotify but it's ability to follow other users is just amazing; it lets you discover music you actually want to hear, not their self-praised "highly-curated" playlists that just suck. After just a week I was back on Spotify Premium. Earlier this month I cancelled Apple Music but since I had made the effort to switch, my iTunes Match library was mixed with the music I was renting and naturally it was unplayable so I had to resubscribe or redo my playlists on the spot. Right now I'm still subscribing to both services, I'll wait till the keynotes to make a decision.