Apple drops new betas for OS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.3, and tvOS 9.2.2

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Monday released previews of the next iterations of OS X, iOS, and tvOS, handing out beta versions of its popular desktop, mobile, and set-top box operating systems to registered developers.

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 beta 1 carries build number 15G7a. iOS 9.3.3 beta 1 is identified as build 13G12, and tvOS 9.2.2 beta 1 shows build number 13Y807.

Released just weeks after the previous round of updates, this may well be the last set of revisions to see the light of day before we learn more about OS X 10.12 and iOS 10 at the company's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference.

As has become Apple's modus operandi, there is no word on what changes or improvements may be in store. If anything of import surfaces once the community has had a chance to dissect this new software, AppleInsider will be on top of it.

All three betas are available to registered developers via the Apple Developer Center. OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 beta 1 can also be downloaded from the Mac App Store, while iOS 9.3.3 beta 1 and tvOS 9.2.2 beta 1 can be acquired from their respective software update mechanisms if the requisite beta certificates have been installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Can't wait to get back to my test Macs and try the new OS X dev version and see if any sign of Siri yet!

edited May 2016
  • Reply 2 of 16
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    iOS 8 and even more so iOS 9 have followed the mantra of "improving stability", and it seems we are getting lots of nice minor releases as a result (even now, less than a month before iOS 10 is revealed).  But I hope iOS 10 brings back a little bit of the eras of lots of new built-in features/functions.  As I recall there were several major features added with iOS 4, 5, and 6 (FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud, Siri, etc.) and many not-so-major-but-still-nice-to-have features under the hood.  iOS 7 was the cosmetic redesign and conversion to 64-bit, and 8 and 9 built on top of that with Swift thrown in as well.  But they were both more evolutionary than revolutionary, with the focus on improved stability.  I'm hoping for location-based security, where I can use "Hey Siri" at home, at work, and at the gym, but be switched off automatically everywhere else.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    damonf said:
    iOS 8 and even more so iOS 9 have followed the mantra of "improving stability", and it seems we are getting lots of nice minor releases as a result (even now, less than a month before iOS 10 is revealed).  But I hope iOS 10 brings back a little bit of the eras of lots of new built-in features/functions.  As I recall there were several major features added with iOS 4, 5, and 6 (FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud, Siri, etc.) and many not-so-major-but-still-nice-to-have features under the hood.  iOS 7 was the cosmetic redesign and conversion to 64-bit, and 8 and 9 built on top of that with Swift thrown in as well.  But they were both more evolutionary than revolutionary, with the focus on improved stability.  I'm hoping for location-based security, where I can use "Hey Siri" at home, at work, and at the gym, but be switched off automatically everywhere else.
    New features are fun, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now. I would love to see some heavy refinement of the current apps and features. Some more granularity and personalization in settings e.g. being able to set a preferred wifi network or WebRTC support in mobile Safari would be nice.  News could use a total overhaul, right now, for me, it seems to be a frustrating experience with ad filled web-based news articles and broken paywalls. Every time I accidentally click on a headline on my summary screen I cringe when I realize what I did. 
  • Reply 4 of 16
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    "Apple drops new betas. . ." 

The wannabe hiphopster usage of the word "drop" to mean "release" is bad enough among media hacks, but here it really doesn't work. 

At first read, the headline seems to say that Apple canceled the beta releases. In other words, this ain't the music business you're writing about.

And the rhe adoption of this new cliché among nonhipsters  is depressing to see. Apple Insider Staff, you are better than this. Besides, the origin is scatological, whether you know it or not.
    edited May 2016 tallest skil[Deleted User]baconstangSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 16
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    flaneur said:

The wannabe hiphopster usage of the word "drop" to mean "release" is bad enough among media hacks, but here it really doesn't work. 

At first read, the headline seems to say that Apple canceled the beta releases. In other words, this ain't the music business you're writing about.

And the rhe adoption of this new cliché among nonhipsters  is depressing to see. Apple Insider Staff, you are better than this. Besides, the origin is scatological, whether you know it or not.
    That isn't hiphopster lingo, it's more music industry lingo. They've been using the word "drop" for an album release date for at least 20 years.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That isn't hiphopster lingo, it's more music industry lingo. They've been using the word "drop" for an album release date for at least 20 years.
    And where do you imagine said industry acquired the term?
    baconstangSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 16
    flaneur said:

And 2015-16 is the year that hack pencil pushers, keyboarders and NPR yakkers finally caught the virus and started using the term to sound cool.
    baconstangwaverboy
  • Reply 8 of 16

And where do you imagine said industry acquired the term?
    That would be the question to answer.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    flaneur said:

I hear you but release and drop can mean the same thing when you think about it .... hold a glass of wine and drop or release  it ...  what's the difference?  As they say 'context is everything'.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    I can't wait to see what is added in the next TvOS version! There is so much they need to do. For example, API access to HDMI CEC would be real nice...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    No sign of a beta Siri OS X yet :(
  • Reply 12 of 16
    peteralt said:
    I can't wait to see what is added in the next TvOS version! There is so much they need to do. For example, API access to HDMI CEC would be real nice...
    I'd like to hear Siri say (on what ever device)  when asked to do something she can't, "Sorry I can't do that but I am going to report this inability to my programmers and get them to fix me so next time you ask I will be able to comply.  ;)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Wow, Apple hasn't had a X.X.6 version since Snow Leopard. I'm wondering if El Capitan will be the last hurrah for a number of older models from the '08/'09 timeframe...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I installed 10.11.5 and my iMac early 2015 grinded to a halt. Beach balling all the time, Finder freezing, nothing would work.
    After trying everything, I had to restore a 10.11.4 version - and now I will wait for either 10.11.6 or directly 10.12 or whatever they will call it (macOS 1.0?).
    Because it was quite a horrible feeling seeing my 8-core 32GB RAM iMac from last year, "working" worse than a 386 PC from yesteryear....
    Why is software development from Apple and its quality so bad. I never see really an improvement in OS X software since a few years. Before it was getting leaner and faster at each release. I never had to restore a previous version in 15 years of Macs use.....
  • Reply 15 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member

The 9.7 iPad Pro doesn't appear to be in this beta release - the profile doesn't indicate a beta is available, nor is there a stand-alone installer (as of last night anyway)

• Reply 16 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    peteralt said:
    I'd like to hear Siri say (on what ever device)  when asked to do something she can't, "Sorry I can't do that but I am going to report this inability to my programmers and get them to fix me so next time you ask I will be able to comply.  ;)
    Something like that would be better than the current baffling responses to common tasks Siri is unable to perform. I'm not sure what it takes to get Siri to play any of my music, but that has never worked even once for me.