Hyundai adds Apple CarPlay support to six models, report says

Posted:
in iPhone
Korean carmaker Hyundai plans to integrate CarPlay compatibility into a total of eight 2015 and 2016 vehicles, bringing the firm closer to offering Apple's infotainment system across its entire lineup.

Hyundai Elantra

According to recent notice sent out to Hyundai dealerships, CarPlay is coming to the 2017 Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport, 2016 Elantra GT, 2016 Tucson, and 2015 and 2016 Sonata (non-hybrid) and Genesis Sedan models via a software update that should be available through the company's website today, MacRumors reports.

The Santa Fe and Sonata models earmarked for CarPlay integration already boast support for Android Auto. Hyundai has not yet updated its website to reflect the coming CarPlay availability.

Hyundai most recently announced expanded CarPlay compatibility for the 2017 Ioniq in March, while the automaker's Kia subsidiary revealed identical support for its 2016 Optima and 2017 Sportage models that same month.

CarPlay debuted in 2014 as a comprehensive connected car solution. Initial adoption was limited to luxury marques like Ferrari, but the technology has since been accepted by a variety of major automakers like Ford, Honda and Chevrolet. Aftermarket audio equipment manufacturers are also incorporating the platform into touchscreen head units, bringing the iPhone-powered system to older vehicles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Seriously, where is Toyota on Car-play ? No offense but now, do i have to buy one of the Hyundai car to get Carplay ?
    edited May 2016 montrosemacs
  • Reply 2 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
  • Reply 3 of 18
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    wood1208 said:
    Seriously, where is Toyota on Car-play ? No offense but now, do i have to buy one of the Hyundai car to get Carplay ?
    We are looking for a new car, but we definitely aren't interested in playing with iOS while we are driving.
    Actually I believe several iOS functions described in Carplay are illegal to use in our CDN Province.

So when we get a new car I hope we can turn off Carplay or Otherplay and show something else which is legal on the display.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    josha said:
    Actually I believe several iOS functions described in Carplay are illegal to use in our CDN Province.

Like what? Can you be more specific?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    josha said:
    wood1208 said:
    We are looking for a new car, but we definitely aren't interested in playing with iOS while we are driving.

So when we get a new car I hope we can turn off Carplay or Otherplay and show something else which is legal on the display.
    which functions are illegal? asking to have your texts read to you? playing music? operating a GPS nav? 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    well this is encouraging. ill email Subaru and ask them to do the same...one 2017 model just doesn't cut it. 
  • Reply 7 of 18
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Still, no Veloster!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    v1niv1ni Posts: 1member
    josha said:

Try CarPlay first. It's crippled/limited. You certainly won't be "Playing with iOS" whilst driving. Infact, it's almost too limited and as such it is annoying to use. I think the main aim of it, is to control CarPlay using Siri Commands. It's certainly not hands on, or distracting in it's current form.

Pioneer AVH-X8700BT in a Tucson user.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 9 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    The whole idea behind Carplay or androidauto is to mirror on your vehicle's infotainment system/control your phone's uptodate MAP/GPS, your phone's stored/streaming music, hands-free call/text interaction, unlock/lock car with phone, start car, park/location of car noted in phone when you leave the car. These are legal and very convenient distraction-free functions. I wouldn't mind enable/disable function which can let you starts your car with your phone(touch id) to avoid theft and display current location of car to see where my family member(kid) is with my car to discourage kid to not use car when planning to drink with friends in bar instead take uber.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 10 of 18
    DannoNalDannoNal Posts: 1member
    I'm on my 3rd Hyundai Sonata and been pleased with all of them. I'm glad to see that they followed through on their promise to support Car Play on 2015 Sonata's and am downloading it now from the myhyundai.com website. Looks to be slow going. It's showing 10 hours to download here at work. They must be busy!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    My 2015 Azera is not on the list.  I'm going to be pissed if it doesn't work.  
  • Reply 12 of 18
    touruntourun Posts: 18member
    DannoNal said:
    I'm on my 3rd Hyundai Sonata and been pleased with all of them. I'm glad to see that they followed through on their promise to support Car Play on 2015 Sonata's and am downloading it now from the myhyundai.com website. Looks to be slow going. It's showing 10 hours to download here at work. They must be busy!
    I'm trying to find it on the Hyundai website.  Where do I go? I've been on myhyundai.com looking, but can't find it.  Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    arbararbar Posts: 12member
    Downloading CarPlay for my 2016 Tucson! The installation process is easy it just uses the Maps SD Card. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    touruntourun Posts: 18member
    DannoNal said:
    I just figured out how to download it. I called the local dealer and they hadn't heard about it.  Within one hour after I called them they found all the information and guided me on how to get the download.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Too bad the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is not on the list yet. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jaskip01jaskip01 Posts: 2member
    I have a 2015 Sonata but cannot find the link on myhyundai.com to download carplay.  Can someone tell me how to find it?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jaskip01jaskip01 Posts: 2member
    tourun said:
    DannoNal said:
    I just figured out how to download it. I called the local dealer and they hadn't heard about it.  Within one hour after I called them they found all the information and guided me on how to get the download.
    Can you please guide me on how to get the download.  I have a 2015 Sonata and cannot find the download anywhere
  • Reply 18 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    GaryLeski said:
    Too bad the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is not on the list yet. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
    It's not as bad as we think tho. Nearly everything you can do with either CarPlay or Android Auto you can do now without them in many vehicles. Hands-free texting, messages read aloud, play streaming music, skip and replay, navigation, place and receive calls, change inputs and all with never touching your smartphone. My phone can even hear commands like "call home" over blasting music, unlike the on-board system that's much less effective with a rolled down window or loud extraneous noises in the vehicle.

Perhaps that's why Google is soon making Android Auto available to everyone whether you have a vehicle with it built-in or not. Other than taking advantage of the nicer infotainment display built in there's really not a whole lot more that either CarPlay or Android Auto bring to the table yet, tho over time I expect more features.