Rumor: leaked schematics reaffirm dual-lens camera, Smart Connector for 'iPhone 7 Plus'

Posted:
in iPhone
New sets of alleged "iPhone 7" and "7 Plus" schematics purportedly leaked on Thursday may support rumors the Plus will ship with a dual-lens camera and a Smart Connector, although the standard model may still have some form of camera upgrade.

Unlike similar sets of plans that emerged earlier this month, the new ones obtained by LetemSvetemApplem include measurements. These suggest that the standard iPhone 7 will be 0.1 millimeters thicker than the iPhone 6s at 7.1 millimeters, whereas the 7 Plus will be unchanged from its predecessor at 7.3 millimeters.

In this sense the schematics suggest that Apple has reached a practical limit on thinness, or at least that it's no longer an overriding design priority. Indeed the 6s is already 0.2 millimeters thicker than the iPhone 6.

Another supporting element for this argument may be the standard iPhone 7's camera, which in the new plans not only retains a lens "bump," but has a wider opening. Older rumors hinted that the product would lose the bump -- it may now be necessary, though, if the device includes optical image stabilization, previously a Plus-only feature.

A more questionable aspect of the schematics is a lack of top and bottom bezels on the Plus. While Apple is rumored to be working on an edge-to-edge display, more likely is that the schematics contain a mistake or are simply inauthentic, since that technology isn't expected until 2017.

LetemSvetemApplem suggested that the Smart Connector on the 7 Plus will be used for wireless charging. The component would presumably support data transfer as well, allowing for more advanced accessories like keyboards.

Notably the schematics also imply that both iPhone 7 models will ditch a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, turning to Bluetooth and Lightning connections instead.

Apple is expected to ship its new iPhones sometime in September following its regular fall press event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jbishop1039jbishop1039 Posts: 257member
    And next week they'll be another rumor confirming the deletion of the smart connector again. I think it's time to wait and see what Apple has in store for us. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That juicy camera bump.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Notably the schematics also imply that both iPhone 7 models will ditch a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, turning to Bluetooth and Lightning connections instead.
    I am not convinced that that is a good idea.

There have been so many issues with Bluetooth and audio. A recent issue that was in the news was with the iPhone SE and certain cars.

Wireless audio is simply not good enough or reliable enough IMO.

One issue that is a huge pain in the ass is Bluetooth latency. I can not stand any latency at all, and nothing is worse than watching a video where the audio is late.

The other day I was watching some TV on my iPad and I sent the audio to a soundbar via bluetooth, and what you end up with is terrible audio that is out of sync with the video. Whatever you are watching ends up looking like a cheap, dubbed kung fu movie.

There are also countless issues with bluetooth headphones and latency.

baconstang1983xiamenbill
  • Reply 4 of 25
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    The iPhone 7Plus schematic is messed up. Why is it showing a lightning connector on top (it isn't a duplicate of the bottom one as the camera is correct for each end). Also it isn't stereo on either end, but the 7 is? These are pretty sloppy. I'm not believing these are real. 
    1983xiamenbill
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    This is a portion of the official iPhone 6S case design schematic. It's all in B&W, no color for numbers. I highly doubt Apple would provide engineering schematics for any of their products that would be significantly different that the ones they provide for case designs. ref: https://developer.apple.com/cases/Case-Design-Guidelines.pdf

Apple more than likely uses a standard CAD program for designing all their products, which normally don't use fonts like shown above. The fonts used in these drawings are constructed by the CAD program as line segments, not TrueType or OpenType fonts.

Until I see something that looks like the drawing below, I'm not willing to accept it as being from Apple. If it's from a manufacturing partner, I hope Apple fines the person and has them put in jail. There's too much industrial espionage going on and websites that continue to display this rumored material are simply enabling this behavior. 

disclaimer: If you read the fine print on the actual drawing contained in the referenced pdf (available without an ADC membership), you'll see I'm violating some of their rules, however, the drawings are available for free for use in building cases so everyone is able to get them.

jbishop1039
  • Reply 6 of 25
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    apple ][ said:

I am not convinced that that is a good idea.

There have been so many issues with Bluetooth and audio. A recent issue that was in the news was with the iPhone SE and certain cars.

Wireless audio is simply not good enough or reliable enough IMO.

One issue that is a huge pain in the ass is Bluetooth latency. I can not stand any latency at all, and nothing is worse than watching a video where the audio is late.

The other day I was watching some TV on my iPad and I sent the audio to a soundbar via bluetooth, and what you end up with is terrible audio that is out of sync with the video. Whatever you are watching ends up looking like a cheap, dubbed kung fu movie.

There are also countless issues with bluetooth headphones and latency.

The Bluetooth audio is not the issue here. They are not 'adding' Bluetooth audio.

As to the actual issue; I look forward to the improved audio quality and feature set that lightning audio will provide.
    And I'm fine with a small adapter for my older analog cans.
    1983igorsky
  • Reply 7 of 25
    bobschlob said:

As to the actual issue; I look forward to the improved audio quality and feature set that lightning audio will provide.
    The overwhelming majority of people (probably more than 99%) do not give a crap about audio quality.

Are they going to be listening to compressed Mp4s and Mp3s via their lightning headphones? That sounds quite ironic.

I admit that I haven't read much about audio through lightning yet, but I remain skeptical.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    apple ][ said:
    bobschlob said:

The overwhelming majority of people (probably more than 99%) do not give a crap about audio quality.

Are they going to be listening to compressed Mp4s and Mp3s via their lightning headphones? That sounds quite ironic.

I admit that I haven't read much about audio through lightning yet, but I remain skeptical.
    Overwhelming majority of people have never cared about 'any' of Apple's technological advancements, until 'after' the fact. Then, of course, it just seems obvious.
    badmonk
  • Reply 9 of 25
    bobschlob said:
    apple ][ said:

Overwhelming majority of people have never cared about 'any' of Apple's technological advancements, until 'after' the fact. Then, of course, it just seems obvious.
    Maybe Apple should begin selling hi-res versions of songs on iTunes, so that their push to "higher quality" audio would make more sense.

I have many headphones, with some of them costing many hundreds of dollars, and they sound pretty decent. I just remain suspicious of the reasoning behind going to lightning audio as being because of the audio quality.
    baconstang1983
  • Reply 10 of 25
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    calling it now, apple's new earbuds will be called AirPods. they will connect wirelessly, but have a wire going between the two earbuds. this wire will have the control clicker thingie, and another piece in the middle with a magnetic connector. this will allow you to magnetically snap on a cord that plugs into your lightning jack, turning them into wired earbuds
    badmonk
  • Reply 11 of 25
    apple ][ said:
    bobschlob said:
    Maybe Apple should begin selling hi-res versions of songs on iTunes, so that their push to "higher quality" audio would make more sense.

I have many headphones, with some of them costing many hundreds of dollars, and they sound pretty decent. I just remain suspicious of the reasoning behind going to lightning audio as being because of the audio quality.
    I would expect Apple (like others) would do that sometime 'eventually' even without  improved audio hardware.
    I don't think the hardware leap would be 'just' for improved audio. I'm sure it would provide for other possibilities as well.
    But yeah; as long as people can still use their analog phones with a small discrete adapter; as I say, I look forward to it.
    igorsky
  • Reply 12 of 25
    bobschlob said:

I don't think the hardware leap would be 'just' for improved audio. I'm sure it would provide for other possibilities as well.
    I of course don't know exactly what Apple's reasoning is, but I suspect that a main reason is because Apple is planning on making devices so thin that a regular analog 1/8" headphone out will no longer fit on the device.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The iPhone 7Plus schematic is messed up. Why is it showing a lightning connector on top (it isn't a duplicate of the bottom one as the camera is correct for each end). Also it isn't stereo on either end, but the 7 is? These are pretty sloppy. I'm not believing these are real. 
    Good points, these schematics are probably bogus.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    apple ][ said:
    bobschlob said:

I of course don't know exactly what Apple's reasoning is, but I suspect that a main reason is because Apple is planning on making devices so thin that a regular analog 1/8" headphone out will no longer fit on the device.

It won't be for thinness, that's limited by the camera more than the headphone jack. They won't want an even bigger camera bump. It will be for the internal space. The 3.5mm jack is huge internally, and is space that could be better used for other things, including battery. (Plus it would give them an opportunity to shave about .5mm off the bottom bezel, which would excite many people here.)

I'd still prefer them to keep the audio jack. And I'd prefer it to be at the top like it used to be, but that's not going to happen, either.

• Reply 15 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    bobschlob said:
    apple ][ said:

This guy...he's alright!

Seriously, you're correct.  After the fact, when every other OEM starts doing the same thing, Apple's moves seem obvious.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 16 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    If Smart Connector on iPhone => iPhone Pro
  • Reply 17 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm mostly concerned about the 7+ camera(s). What will they do?

right now, there are three different takes on what other manufacturers are doing. One has two cameras, a 12MP model and an 8MP wide angle, that's the LG model. Neither takes particularly great pictures. Another uses two 12MP cameras, one just takes luminance information, and the other color. This is supposed to give better sharpness and greater dynamic range. But in dimmer photos, such as indoors, it's noisier than some others. The last, uses two cameras for depth information, making facial recognition better, and giving some information for post focus adjustments.

so, what is Apple thinking here? Assuming that the dual camera scenario is correct in the first place, that's a lot of options. Worse, it's now being said that 'Sony, the choice of Apple is having problems meeting the demand because the earthquake in Japan has limited their ability to manufacture to full scale, so Apple is getting cameras from LG, either entirely, or partly.

what a headache!
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I only care about the Smart Connector if it means that the 7+ can run iPad-only apps. I only have a few apps that are iPad-only but they are critical to my work. If I could use them on an iPhone 7+ it would allow me to ditch my iPad Mini and have on less device to lug around.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    jet23jet23 Posts: 12member

Based on some of the 3D image-related patents we've seen in the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decided to sell a "goggles" accessory that connected to the Plus via the smart connector, and used the dual camera lenses to enable an augmented reality experience. What other purpose could the smart connector serve in that location? Charging seems marginally useful, but a keyboard? For an iPhone?

Additionally, this would be a good feature for the Plus, because it's made better by the larger screen, and it would provide a more cinematic experience for the type of consumer who is inclined to buy a larger phone--i.e. people who use their phones as their main computer.

• Reply 20 of 25
    They should call it iPhone 6ss or 6.5 or 7ish..