Samsung to bring web-based 'SamsungPay Mini' to iPhones - report

Posted:
in iPhone
The expanding electronic payments battle between Apple, Google, and Samsung will reportedly reach a new front next month as the South Korean firm is said to be readying a new web-based option that would enable iPhone users to make online payments via SamsungPay.

Thought to be called "SamsungPay Mini," the new service will take the form of a downloadable application that can run on both Android and iOS, according to South Korea's ETNews. Users will be able to register credit cards through the application and use it to automate the payment process on third-party sites.

There is no word on exactly how this application would operate on a technical level, and the initial launch appears limited to South Korea.

Samsung is said to be unhappy with the uptake of SamsungPay's current system for making payments over the internet, prompting this shift in strategy.

Apple itself is thought to be prepping a new option for website integration to debut later this year. That system, which would be initially limited to Touch ID-equipped iOS devices, could be a significant booster for the nascent payment service.

Nearly 80 percent of holiday purchases made via mobile device in the US are made on iOS, according to at least one study. If Apple were able to ready Apple Pay for the web in time for the coming holiday season, it might mean a windfall in both revenue and new customer signups.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    I'm so stoked for this. Hurry up and release it already.
    lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 2 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I presume Apple gets 1/3 of the transaction like any other app (like B&N or Amazon Books.)

cali
  • Reply 3 of 33
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    The only advantage of the SamsungPay system is its magnetic field emitter that allows it to operate on older credit card machines. Without that hardware in the iPhone, there doesn't seem to be any technical advantage to this App. Am I missing something?
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 33
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Samsung makes it so easy to hate them. 
    calijbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 33
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Can't wait to not use this!
    roundaboutnowjbdragonanton zuykovanantksundaramlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 6 of 33
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    eightzero said:
    I presume Apple gets 1/3 of the transaction like any other app (like B&N or Amazon Books.)

Not really. The Starbucks app doesn't pay the 30% AFAIK when you transfer money and pay through the app. 
  • Reply 7 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    eightzero said:

Yeah, 30% of zero. Samsung gets no cut of transaction fees AFAIK. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 8 of 33
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Then what's the point ? Samsung helping Apple sell more iPhones ? Or just wasting all the money buying that payment startup, installing backends and integrating with banks for nothing ? What happens if Samsung management lose interest ? Who is going to upkeep their operations and security ?

Why should users sign up or download the extra payment app anyway ? Are they going to waste even more money by throwing in cash backs ? It looks like a last grasp at straws now.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 9 of 33
    patsu said:
    Then what's the point ? Samsung helping Apple sell more iPhones ? Or just wasting all the money buying that payment startup, installing backends and integrating with banks for nothing ? What happens if Samsung management lose interest ? Who is going to upkeep their operations and security ?

Why should users sign up or download the extra payment app anyway ? Are they going to waste even more money by throwing in cash backs ? It looks like a last grasp at straws now.
    As I read it Apple isn't likely to continue getting any cut of transaction fees either once the current (5 year?) contracts run out. In fact it's banned under the new payment industry rules for handling bank cards. I don't expect Apple to abandon ApplePay tho. It's an ecosystem feature. 
  • Reply 10 of 33
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Depends on what articles you read. Some say the fees will apply after 2-5 years. They did say Google and Samsung couldn't get anyone to pay. All lot of those phones don't even have fingerprint support. And their wearables generally lack payment feature too.
    edited May 2016 calijbdragonanton zuykov
  • Reply 11 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    gatorguy said:
    eightzero said:

Yeah, 30% of zero. Samsung gets no cut of transaction fees AFAIK. 
    OK, thx. Wonder if it will have an AppleWatch component?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Fk you Samdung. That's all I have to say about that.
    caliapplesauce007
  • Reply 13 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wait so Samsung only made SamsungPay for the sake of copying Apple? Seems foolish I would have adopted AndroidPay and spend the millions used on SamsungPay for some other innovation.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 14 of 33
    patsu said:
    Depends on what articles you read. Some say the fees will apply after 2-5 years. They did say Google and Samsung couldn't get anyone to pay. All lot of those phones don't even have fingerprint support. And their wearables generally lack payment feature too.
    It wasn't that they "couldn't get anyone to pay". In the time since Apple Pay rolled out both Visa and MasterCard along with others agreed on a set industry standard with rules for mobile payment processing. Those standards are also mandated to be free, and new rules prohibit banks from offering a cut of interchange fees. That's why Apple is unlikely to be able to get that .15% of interchange fees when contracts come up for renewal.

That's been the biggest holdup in getting ApplePay into other countries like GB. Apple is trying to stick to their guns and take a cut anyway. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 15 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    So I have to ask...how secure is Samsung Pay vs ApplePay? To me, its more than just the convenience of using my phone to pay for things, its also the amount of security it provides. I think a lot of people forget this...Apple didn't just invent ApplePay for the convenience, but also (and maybe more importantly), the fact that its far more secure than simply swiping your credit card. 
  • Reply 16 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let the lunacy begin!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    cali said:
    Wait so Samsung only made SamsungPay for the sake of copying Apple? Seems foolish I would have adopted AndroidPay and spend the millions used on SamsungPay for some other innovation.

Samsung innovate???? LOLOLOL HAHAHAHA! Good one! 

Yes, basically Samsung had to do this me too thing when it comes to the many forms of contactless payment systems. Seems like this always happens and they all fizzle out eventually except one for one reason or another. 
    jbdragonanton zuykov
  • Reply 18 of 33
    macxpress said:
    So I have to ask...how secure is Samsung Pay vs ApplePay? To me, its more than just the convenience of using my phone to pay for things, its also the amount of security it provides. I think a lot of people forget this...Apple didn't just invent ApplePay for the convenience, but also (and maybe more importantly), the fact that its far more secure than simply swiping your credit card. 
    The security aspect is often misunderstood. Here's a link that describes some of the feature differences between Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and where security is discussed as well. In a nutshell your transaction is just as safe using Samsung Pay as it is using Apple Pay or Android Pay. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-Pay-vs-Samsung-Pay-vs-Android-Pay-comparison_id77632
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 19 of 33
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    macxpress said:
    You're right. Apple didn't invent Apple Pay. They use the universal standard put fourth by the credit card companies. Not taking away from Apple Pay as I use it as much as I possibly can. But everyone uses the same backend tokenization. 
  • Reply 20 of 33
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

An iOS app has the ability to “bind” itself to a custom URL registered scheme and for that scheme, such as SamsungPay:// to be used to launch the application from the browser including query parameters. 

Samsung would have to partner with third party e-commerce websites so the checkout page would send Safari to a custom payment URL that would launch the SamsungPay app and send the parameters such as store account, price, etc. Then the Samsung app would contact their merchant bank and process the payment. Assuming it came back as accepted, the app would request a specially crafted URL that would tell the web store to approve the purchase and send the client to a thank you page.

This is basically the same method that Apple will use except for the Touch ID. Obviously, in either case the web store needs to be in partnership with the payment platform. 

And by the way that image in the article has nothing to do with the story. That is regular brick and mother retail.
    edited May 2016