China's Xiaomi shows off new $460 4K camera drone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    foggyhill said:
    icoco3 said:
    And that is against the law to fire upon an airborn vehicle.  Check the laws as the FAA says so.

And if I am in the right to fly it, what right do you have to interfere?  As long as I am not over your property, below a certain height which I can't recall, I would be in the right.  Although, etiquette says to stay away from places you should not be.
    I've had several drones pass over my property just in the last god damn month; soon they're going to be "accidentally" destroyed on sight if I'm there to catch them.

Last year, happened once that I know about; this year, so many times already that I've using my security cameras to count and ID them.
    There are seemingly 3 dumbass culprits and I'm now trying to track them down.

I'm not going to stand having swarms of giant mosquitoes flying by!

I am guessing you are not a photographer else you would be pretty adamant about protecting your FIRST amendment right to free speech.

I don't even have a drone but I respect someone else's right to practice theirs.
    edited May 2016 muppetry
  • Reply 22 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    staticx57 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Self defense and privacy are basic rights.

If I saw a drone hovering outside my window, I think that shooting it down is a valid response.
    No where in this narrative is th drone on your property. You have zero right to disturb someone else's right to fly and take pictures/video.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/photographers-what-do-if-you-are-stopped-or-detained-taking-photographs
    Keep that in mind if a peeping tom or their drone should happen to show up outside your window, taking pics of your underage daughter, if you have one.

Remember, the peeping tom has rights, and you have zero right to disturb the peeping tom's right to fly and to take pictures and video. :#
  • Reply 23 of 43
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    sockrolid said:
    Hey.  Kickstarter people.
    I'd pay up to $100 for a drone signal-jamming transmitter.
    Push the button, signal is jammed, drone operator can't get their now-cliché hover shot.
    Note: the jamming signal will only cause momentary loss of directional control, not crashing.
    Net effect: drone operator thinks there's a defect and wants their money back (again and again.)

No, you want to perma jam it, then it goes into safe mode and lands.  If it lands on your property then it should have never been flying over it legally and I believe you are within your right to jump on it and smash it to smithereens. 
  • Reply 24 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Almost completely free low-tech solution:  Bola

edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 43
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    wigby said:
    frankie said:
    Well they sure are good at ripping people off and copying their ideas.  Jeez.  Screw these guys I would never support them.
    Welcome to the tech industry. Sorry but every company including Apple "rips off" ideas and makes them their own. Remember "good artists copy, great artists steal"? Same principle here. It might not be how business or the law works but it's precisely how technology and science works.
    No, you are completely wrong. The difference is that here in the US most companies wouldn't make it their sole mission to go out steal, reverse engineer or capture an existing companies IP. In China this is common place and the government or any other agency is unlikely going to stop it. Countless US companies stupidly sent their mfg. to China and now they have companies that open up right next door that have become their competitors. Software is a perfect example, you can get almost any cracked software there from graphics, engineering, whatever you want. In the US they would be shutdown immediately in China is everywhere. Unfortunately companies like Samsung have everyone believing it was always that way but it's not true. Companies that have no pride like Samsung will copy refrigerators, washers, vacuum cleaners, phones, iPads, packaging, commercials, store fronts, advertising and on and on.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    frankie said:
    Well they sure are good at ripping people off and copying their ideas.  Jeez.  Screw these guys I would never support them.
    Well, I am really surprised that they all go for cheap Chinese solutions. Nobody even mentions this decent American company in these forums: 3D Robotics in San Diego (3dr.com)

They are really doing cool stuff with their Solo drone. Friendly—and to my mind—trustworthy guys.

As with Apple, this is a matter of trust where you upload your data/drone footage to.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    apple ][ said:
    staticx57 said:
    No where in this narrative is th drone on your property. You have zero right to disturb someone else's right to fly and take pictures/video.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/photographers-what-do-if-you-are-stopped-or-detained-taking-photographs
    Keep that in mind if a peeping tom or their drone should happen to show up outside your window, taking pics of your underage daughter, if you have one.

Remember, the peeping tom has rights, and you have zero right to disturb the peeping tom's right to fly and to take pictures and video. :#
    Sorry, I do not buy your fallacy. Besides, why would they be using a loud and large drone when they could use a more discreet solution? 

irnchriz said:
    sockrolid said:
    Push the button, signal is jammed, drone operator can't get their now-cliché hover shot.
    Note: the jamming signal will only cause momentary loss of directional control, not crashing.
    Net effect: drone operator thinks there's a defect and wants their money back (again and again.)

No, you want to perma jam it, then it goes into safe mode and lands.  If it lands on your property then it should have never been flying over it legally and I believe you are within your right to jump on it and smash it to smithereens. 
    How large of a fine from the FCC do you want?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    staticx57 said:
    apple ][ said:

Sorry, I do not buy your fallacy. Besides, why would they be using a loud and large drone when they could use a more discreet solution? 
    There have been numerous cases of perverts and peeping toms doing exactly that. 

Peeping Tom drone spotted hovering outside woman's window in Devon

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/peeping-tom-drone-spotted-hovering-outside-womans-window-devon-1522778

Spies like buzz: Cops being swamped by complaints about Peeping Toms using drones

Illegal use of drones has gone up 10 times over three years, police statistics reveal

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7033141/Police-see-sharp-rise-in-complaints-about-Peeping-Tom-drones.html

There are a ton more examples, revealed by a simple google search.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    apple ][ said:
    staticx57 said:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/peeping-tom-drone-spotted-hovering-outside-womans-window-devon-1522778

Spies like buzz: Cops being swamped by complaints about Peeping Toms using drones

Illegal use of drones has gone up 10 times over three years, police statistics reveal

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7033141/Police-see-sharp-rise-in-complaints-about-Peeping-Tom-drones.html

Great. I am sure I can find peeping toms using all sorts of devices and cameras to spy on people. Because peeping toms use a certain technology does not warrant a blanket ban and kill on sight for all drones.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    staticx57 said:
    apple ][ said:

Great. I am sure I can find peeping toms using all sorts of devices and cameras to spy on people. Because peeping toms use a certain technology does not warrant a blanket ban and kill on sight for all drones.
    It does if they are flying on my private property.... That is the point.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 653member
    freerange said:
    Flying ON your property? That wouldn't be flying then would it?
    FAA controls the airspace.
    staticx57
  • Reply 32 of 43
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    irnchriz said:
    sockrolid said:

You are incorrect on your assertion and assumptions, at least in the US. You do not own the airspace over your property, and flying over it is not illegal. Interfering with aircraft (including UAS) operations, by jamming or any other means, is illegal. Destruction of a UAS, even if it lands on your property, would constitute criminal damage.
    staticx57icoco3
  • Reply 33 of 43
    freerange said:
    staticx57 said:
    There already is a term for someone/thing being on your property, it is called trespass.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    muppetry said:
    irnchriz said:

You are incorrect on your assertion and assumptions, at least in the US. You do not own the airspace over your property, and flying over it is not illegal. Interfering with aircraft (including UAS) operations, by jamming or any other means, is illegal. Destruction of a UAS, even if it lands on your property, would constitute criminal damage.
    You should actually know what you talk about before yapping.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights

There is a substantial amount of airspace that you have rights to.
    And the fracking first 16 feet above the ground I'm pretty sure is part of it.

If someone flies within 16 feet of the god damn ground, especially repeatedly, they're gone
    Once is an accident, many times it is a pattern.
    And then they can go to court and argue their point.
    I keep good photographic records so they better have all their "i"'s dotted.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 35 of 43
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 653member
    foggyhill said:
    muppetry said:

If someone flies within 16 feet of the god damn ground, especially repeatedly, they're gone

16 feet is bad.
    I can imagine that you could easily have poles that long that happen to sway back and forth all the time on your property... and if a drone flying that low happens to hit one of them, then I would say they are at fault.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Crowd funding.. Lol... Why should i pay Xiomai for them to develope somthing on my account. ?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    foggyhill said:
    muppetry said:

There is no point quoting sources if you don't understand what they mean. The air space rights that property owners hold entitle them to development above their land, not to shoot down or interfere with aircraft, manned or otherwise. That would be a Federal crime. The act of flying over property is not illegal per se. If it constitutes a nuisance, by virtue of noise, unreasonable invasion of privacy etc., then local nuisance laws may be invoked to require an aircraft operator to cease such operations. But if instead you prefer to seek remedy by breaking Federal laws (interfering with aircraft operations) and/or local laws (criminal damage) yourself then have at it.
    staticx57
  • Reply 38 of 43
    rothgarrrothgarr Posts: 58member
    sockrolid said:
    This would be highly illegal in the US and it's against FCC regulations. Even advertising such a product would be illegal.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    staticx57 said:
    foggyhill said:
    I've had several drones pass over my property just in the last god damn month; soon they're going to be "accidentally" destroyed on sight if I'm there to catch them.

Last year, happened once that I know about; this year, so many times already that I've using my security cameras to count and ID them.

I am guessing you are not a photographer else you would be pretty adamant about protecting your FIRST amendment right to free speech.

I don't even have a drone but I respect someone else's right to practice theirs.
    The 1st Amendment applies to government suppression of speech. 

Why is this still so widely misunderstood?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    rothgarrrothgarr Posts: 58member
    foggyhill said:
    icoco3 said:
    And that is against the law to fire upon an airborn vehicle.  Check the laws as the FAA says so.

And if I am in the right to fly it, what right do you have to interfere?  As long as I am not over your property, below a certain height which I can't recall, I would be in the right.  Although, etiquette says to stay away from places you should not be.

You must have an amazing security system if you are able to spot these things in the sky. *rolls eyes* How effective is it at security if it's pointed up? * rolls eyes*

Here's the thing. If they are passing over your house, it's no different than cars driving past your house. Have you ever seen the footage from a consumer drone? Anything higher than 50 ft and you look like ants anyway. If people REALLY wanted to spy on you (and do you *really* think that highly of yourself that you are interesting enough to be spied on) do you think they'd use a contraption that make a lot of noise, has blinking lights, and might as well scream "hey, look at me up here!!!"? No, they would use a DSLR camera with a telephoto lens. They would use binoculars. They would use a smartphone. They would use hidden cameras. You wouldn't even know they're there.

Modern satellites can already see the tiniest of details. You are on camera every time you go out in public. Hell, even my car has front/rear DVR as will most other cars in the future. The places to be nervous about are the places you think you aren't being watched, like changing rooms and bathrooms.

And if you do decide to take matters into your own hands, you're in for a world of legal hurt as drones have the same protection as commercial flights.

If someone is hovering 20 feet over your property, that's a different matter. I'd follow it back to its owner and let them know the concern. They'll either stop flying over your house or they can show you what the drone sees to put your mind at ease. But if it's just passing over your house to get from point a to point b it's probably just some kid (like me) just flying around.
    muppetry