AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule pulled from U.S. Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
Although the products are still available online, Apple no longer appears to be selling the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule in its U.S. retail stores, according to a Friday report and checks by AppleInsider.

Shoppers are finding the AirPort Extreme out of stock at various Apple Stores around the U.S., MacRumors noted. One person who visited an outlet in Beverly Hills was told that Apple has recalled units from every location. A support representative contacted by MacRumors echoed this, claiming that the Time Capsule has been pulled as well.

Apple has also reportedly removed Personal Pickup as an option for online orders. AppleInsider can confirm that the option has disappeared from cities as diverse as Austin, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and New York City.

Oddly, the products are still said to be available in many stores in Australia, Canada, and Europe, though Apple is sometimes slow to propagate changes outside the United States.

This discrepancy could lend credence to the idea that these stockouts are related compliance with a June 2 deadline set by the FCC. This is the date at which routers approved under an older set of rules can't be sold unless they meet newer security regulations which have been phased in since 2014.

Apple could also be planning to refresh both devices at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference. The products have sat unchanged since 2013, even as Wi-Fi and storage technologies have improved. The AirPort Express -- still on sale -- is yet more outdated, lacking 802.11ac support.

Another possibility is that Apple will simply discontinue the products entirely, although that would leave the company without a first-party option for connecting Macs and iOS devices to Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    I remember when my Time Capsule failed.  I took it in, they said "out of warranty, so sorry".  Not impressed and wouldn't buy one again.  Bearing in mind this is a backup device for which they charge far more than the sum of its parts.  Why pay more?
    elijahgxiamenbillcnocbuizoetmbfreshmakertoysandme
  • Reply 2 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Why would you expect them to replace something out of warranty? What did you expect? I would pay more because its a very nice product that works very well. Go buy a $49 device then and see the difference. 
    latifbpcalimagman1979damn_its_hotjbdragonwilliamlondonration alicoco3justadcomicstdknox
  • Reply 3 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I remember when my Time Capsule failed.  I took it in, they said "out of warranty, so sorry".  Not impressed and wouldn't buy one again.  Bearing in mind this is a backup device for which they charge far more than the sum of its parts.  Why pay more?
    Love my Time Capsule. Is it over priced? Probably. Will it fail? Possibly. And yet... The sheer convenience of it wins hands down. It  goes without saying that periodic back-ups of either the Time Capsule itself, or the connected Macs individually forms part of the back-up strategy. Just out of curiosity - when your TC failed was it the HD or the electronics / wifi within the unit. Apple uses standard HD's in the units so presumably they are as reliable as any other common backup drive out there. Did you try to remove the drive and put it in another enclosure (if that's even possible?)
    justadcomicscornchipiosenthusiast
  • Reply 4 of 75
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It's time to come out with Apple tri-band, MU-MIMO AC5300 router.
    schlacklostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 75
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's the Apple Echo.
    1983lostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 75
    I love my Airport Extreme. It is reliable to a fault, and if I wanted to I could attach storage to it to be available to anyone on my network. And my network is a complex jumble of devices, (One Airport Extreme (ac) bridging to a Airport Extreme (n), an Airport Express (n), and , an Airport Express (g)). My network is very solid with that lineup.
    airbubbleirwinmauricewilliamlondonpulseimagesjustadcomicsxiamenbilljahblade
  • Reply 7 of 75
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I have had two Time Capsules fail on me in the past few years. No way that I going back to it.
    elijahgksecxiamenbillcnocbuifreshmakertoysandmehmm
  • Reply 8 of 75
    jakeb said:
    It's the Apple Echo.
    Probably exactly what they're doing...
  • Reply 9 of 75
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    The current gen stuff is now looking antiquated in a market full of more powerful and multi-antenna routers etc. Even ISP's who give them away (or rent them at a couple of euros a month) are starting to beat them
    elijahg
  • Reply 10 of 75
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I have had two Time Capsules fail on me in the past few years. No way that I going back to it.
    Remember the 'enterprise-grade' claim they made on stage? I have to say - my experience wasnt great- failed after about 9 months. Apple offered to replace it but I moved on.
    cnocbuifreshmaker
  • Reply 11 of 75
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Weird, Apple just this week came out with a firmware update for these (note these firmware updates are not automatic, you need to install them from Airport Utility.app (in your Mac Applications/Utilities folder), the updates will be noted with exclamation points next to the various Time Capsules or Airports in your wifi network).

I have never had a Time capsule fail (oldest one is seven years old).   I relegate the older ones to be music/video servers or act as wifi extenders and ethernet hubs around the house.  That said all hard drives fail, so backup the backups if you do this.
    pscooter63irwinmauricewilliamlondonjustadcomicsbaconstangcornchipjahblade
  • Reply 12 of 75
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    macxpress said:
    jakeb said:
    It's the Apple Echo.
    Makes no sense. Most people put their routers in closets or other out of the way places. They frequently have a ton of cables coming off them plugged into connected devices. They also push out a large amount of radiation if you are very close to it. These are the opposite of the features an echo like device should have to be discrete, central, and attractive.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 13 of 75
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Airport Extremes (including the newest) are very reliable but slow for Time Machine backups via USB-connected drives. Time Capsules are much faster for Time Machine backups, but still not what I would call fast. The one Time Capsule I own (latest model) started to fail at the 1-year mark--end of warranty. The problem is most likely a failed HDD, which I'll eventually get around to replacing and then know for sure.

Competing access points provide faster wireless, USB 3.0 and more gigabit LAN ports. They also have huge footprints and ugly antennae. It will be interesting to see what Jony Ive and the engineering teams pull out of their hat.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Huh? You mean to say that they would not replace an out of warranty product? That is just crazy. Apple is doomed!
    mike1ai46stevehmagman1979ration alpulseimagesjustadcomicstdknoxbaconstangRayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 75
    I've been hoping for awhile now that Apple would provide some sort of Home Server/Backup/Wifi center that would allow OSX and iOS devices to have local (not iCloud) backup and purchase/rent options via iTunes (iTV).

It would be great if this pull of Airport Extreme/Time Capsule is a prelude to that----but I actually think it is more likely the other reason cited in the article---new compliance regs.
    jbishop1039pulseimagesksec
  • Reply 16 of 75
    XavalonXavalon Posts: 14member
    I had several wifi-n routers, but the extreme router is the best. Never any problems, good signal and one reboot per year or so.
    mike1pscooter63williamlondonlostkiwipulseimagesjustadcomicsksecjahblade
  • Reply 17 of 75
    schlack said:
    macxpress said:
    Makes no sense. Most people put their routers in closets or other out of the way places. They frequently have a ton of cables coming off them plugged into connected devices. They also push out a large amount of radiation if you are very close to it. These are the opposite of the features an echo like device should have to be discrete, central, and attractive.
    I don't know who most people are....
    icoco3baconstang
  • Reply 18 of 75
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Indeed - as others are saying, my Extremes have been the most reliable routers I have ever owned. I used to buy those $50-75 routers but every.single.one failed in 6-9 months (and I tried Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, and the über-cheap Airlink brands - they all sucked). I finally broke down and spent the nearly $200 it cost for a (then second-gen) Airport Extreme. It's never failed me. About three years ago I bought a 5th gen through a third-party and moved the older 2nd gen downstairs as an extender.

The power supply in the new router was immediately bad, but Apple replaced the entire kit with a brand new model.

I miss the old Airport Utility software which added a lot more flexibility; the new software is super dumbed down. I also hate that every single change in configuration (including stupid stuff like access control time changes and port forwarding) requires a restart - but I put up with it because of how reliable they are, and because of how well integrated they are with OSX Server (I'm not sure if Server's UPnP configurations work with third-party routers or not).
    lostkiwicornchip
  • Reply 19 of 75
    nomadmacnomadmac Posts: 96member
    Never liked the Time Capsules nor Time Machine, for that matter, as the Capsules seemed prone to failure. Why not just hang a drive off the USB port and use Carbon Copy Cloner? It's pretty robust and I can specify how often to back things up.
    edited May 2016 zoetmb
  • Reply 20 of 75
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    My next door neighbor has some Netgear stuff that outperforms the latest AE by miles. I can see his 5GHz network from 100 miles away, but I have to be within 2.3 inches of my AE to see my 5Ghz network. Let me re-emphasize that he's my next door neighbor, so interference from microwaves or cordless phones can be factored out, so please take that into consideration before defending the AE's putrid performance. But, hey, my router's industrial design is much better than his.
    pulseimagescnocbui