Touch ID, OLED touch bar to highlight thinner MacBook Pro models in Q4

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    schlack said:
    They've been taking forever on these new laptops...so ready to upgrade my (amazingly still fast with SSD upgrade) 2010 MBP. I don't even care if it's faster than my 2010. I just want a better screen, lighter weight, and longer battery life.
    I have a Mid-2009 MBP with an SSD, 8GB RAM and newer battery.  It also has a fairly fresh install of El Capitan.  I have been lobbying hard at work for a new one, but so far, no dice (the one I'm referring to is my own personal machine).   It's been very flakey for a while now, even with the clean install and SSD.  I get hang ups at least once per session, and it hangs on startup about 30% of the time (progress bar goes to 75%, crawls to 100%, and it never logs in.  It's solved by restarting once or twice).   Speed is still pretty good when it's running like it's supposed to.  The bottom line is I am dying for a new one I can use for content creation (video, audio) in my job.  I think this report sounds fantastical, but it also cold explain why they've waited so long on going to the Skylake chip.  They are two generations behind at present.  
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I have to say I agree with the people who are skeptical about ever thinner MacBook Pros. When ever I see dongles and adaptors I think 'it's a failure'. 
    Oh c'mon man. By that logic contemporary MBPs would still be fat enough for ethernet, DVI and VGA ports. 

Dongles are a fine solution. Doesn't it make more sense to put the burden of carrying around a VGA port on the guy who needs the VGA port, instead of on everyone who doesn't?
    edited May 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    sdw2001 said:

It's been very flakey for a while now, even with the clean install and SSD.  I get hang ups at least once per session, and it hangs on startup about 30% of the time (progress bar goes to 75%, crawls to 100%, and it never logs in.  It's solved by restarting once or twice)
    Have you checked your battery health via Coconut Battery? I just fixed up a neighbor's Macbook Air, turned out that a dead battery was causing a kernel extension to go completely bananas.

also possible: check the SMART status on your SSD
  • Reply 64 of 65
    rockawrockaw Posts: 23member
    Keep the Mag Safe connector. But my big hope for the upgrade is a significant speed bump for the 13" model. I currently own the latest gen 13" MBP , fully maxed out, and it's much slower than my old 15" (mid 2015) MBP. It used to be the case that high end Mac configs were way faster than anything you could get in the Windows world. That's just not the case anymore. They need to reclaim the performance edge. I love the form factor of the 13", but it's really too slow to use the current generation of Adobe apps. That may be an indictment against Adobe's sloppy development effort, but it's true nonetheless. 

If they could lose the black bezel around the screen, they could up the screen size to 14" and 16" in the same size cases, which would make more sense since they're selling a 12" at the low end of the lineup.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Simple: the smaller form factor isn't the "high-end config", and never has been, even back in the days of the 12" PowerBook. thermal envelope and simple space constraints mean that the 13" model has never been available in the higher-end configs (read: quad-core/discrete graphics) that the 15" had.