Chinese company advertises new Lightning-to-headphone adapters ahead of Apple's 'iPhone 7'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member

Second, I believe we were talking about expensive headphones, and it's not just Bluetooth headphones either, it's true of good wired headphones as well. And who the hell cares about cheap headphones or earbuds? Good riddance. Apple's probably gonna give me a new set of Lightning earbuds anyway. And if someone's using cheap headphones, why are they buying the flagship iPhone?
    My 16 year old son got a iPhone for Christmas, but has to use his personal budget for headphones.  So your arrogance is not appreciated
    baconstanggatorguycnocbuisirlance99pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 38
    tommy0gunstommy0guns Posts: 119member
    Here's a question. When is the last time you used the headphone or aux jack for a BT speaker?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cropr said:

Second, I believe we were talking about expensive headphones, and it's not just Bluetooth headphones either, it's true of good wired headphones as well. And who the hell cares about cheap headphones or earbuds? Good riddance. Apple's probably gonna give me a new set of Lightning earbuds anyway. And if someone's using cheap headphones, why are they buying the flagship iPhone?
    My 16 year old son got a iPhone for Christmas, but has to use his personal budget for headphones.  So your arrogance is not appreciated
    I was going to say something similar.   I bought my daughter an iP5.  I think she is on her 5th or 6th set of earbuds and headphones and I repaired the cord/plug on the headphones at least 3 times and 2 of the earbuds..  Cheap earbuds are godsend for parents.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Here's a question. When is the last time you used the headphone or aux jack for a BT speaker?
    I don't have a bluetooth speaker, I do have two very good HiFis I plug my phone into via the headphone jack and use as a source.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    We all know soon as some rumors float about Apple planning to do this or that like getting rid of audio jack, Chinese manufacturers start implementing ahead. They know when Apple does, it must be good so just go ahead and do it before Apple. Apple's product cycle is on year boundary so plenty in-between time to pick on rumor and implement. Moreover, I am sure these manufacturers spying, bribing, hack or whatever methods use with people working for Apple to find Apple's product direction. Rumor is Apple going for glass body so ASUS just released phones encompassing glass.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 26 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    wood1208 said:
    We all know soon as some rumors float about Apple planning to do this or that like getting rid of audio jack, Chinese manufacturers start implementing ahead. They know when Apple does, it must be good so just go ahead and do it before Apple. Apple's product cycle is on year boundary so plenty in-between time to pick on rumor and implement. Moreover, I am sure these manufacturers spying, bribing, hack or whatever methods use with people working for Apple to find Apple's product direction. Rumor is Apple going for glass body so ASUS just released phones encompassing glass.
    To be fair the first rumors that Apple might replace the headphone jack appeared the end of November as far as I can see. The Oppo R5 released the first week of January so it would have been impossible to design an entirely new device in just 4-5 weeks wouldn't it? Seems they would have had to have started on it months ago if everything was to fit as they envisioned.  

But yeah you're correct that in general if there's an Apple rumor some number of companies are going to jump on it with some product just in case it's true. Apple drives the segment today. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 27 of 38
    SEngineerSEngineer Posts: 16member
    Maybe, Charging Cable will may have an analog or ligthning headphone output, to have an analog one cable needs built in DAC, to have an ligthning one headphones need built in DAC
  • Reply 28 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    1983 said:
    No mention if these adaptors incorporate their own DACs. Which they'll probably need to do to function properly as Lightning is an all digital interface...unless Apple has adjusted Lightning's specification slightly on the upcoming iPhone 7 to compensate for this.
    Lightning is apparently able to do passthrough audio so there shouldn't be a requirement for an external DAC. There's a page here from an MFi manufacturer that shows Lightning audio products:

http://www.simya.com.cn/en_product_detail.asp?id=934
    http://www.simya.com.cn/en_product_detail.asp?id=933

Headphones would just have a Lightning connector on one end and optionally a connector on the other so they'd work with other devices by switching the cable. Apple might try to push wireless headphones though so the Lightning plug wouldn't be a restriction as they'd work wirelessly with a lot of devices. Wired audio is like wired internet and it restricts movement. Wireless audio also prevents cables getting caught on things:

• Reply 29 of 38
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    The lightning connector has 8 pins by my count. Mirrored on both sides.

I wonder if they could make a 3.5mm lightning headphone jack with 8 points of connection that would also work with the standard plugs on the headphones and other stuff we already own and use today. They only have 3 or 4 connections depending on if there is a mic, so its probably not an easy problem to solve.

Then they could delete the lightning connector and do everything over the 3.5mm jack. And being perfectly round it retains ease of use.

With how ubiquitous the 3.5mm jack and plug are in my life, I would personally rather lose the lightning connector over the 3.5mm jack.

Of course if you want to listen to music and charge at the same time, then I suppose yeah, you will still need an adapter unless there is wireless charging.

Just an idea.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cnocbui said:
    cropr said:
    I was going to say something similar.   I bought my daughter an iP5.  I think she is on her 5th or 6th set of earbuds and headphones and I repaired the cord/plug on the headphones at least 3 times and 2 of the earbuds..  Cheap earbuds are godsend for parents.
    At least you bought your daughter an iPhone 5. I'm having a hard time imagining the parent who buys their child a flagship iPhone. The reality is, only "flagship" phone customers will have to worry about Apple eliminating the headphone jack for the first year. Apple will still be selling up to 5 other models with headphone jacks -- and those are the phones I would buy for my children. And that will still be true when the iPhone 7s comes out, and possibly the 8. In three years, I would argue that digital headphones will have dropped enough in price that this will no longer be an issue for anyone's children, or less affluent customers who don't care about sound quality, or simply can't afford quality headphones of any type.

There is also something to be said for paying for quality. I can't help but wonder if a more expensive, better made paid of headphones might need fewer repairs. However, for most children, I recognize they tend to be careless, and forgetful, and there's only so far training by a parent will go to instill such values. Some children can be trusted with expensive things. Most can't. But then again, the same thing can be said for adults as well. That's not necessarily a reason for Apple to cater to such customers.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cropr said:
    With the adapter available and it was always likely to happen, I don't see what the big deal was about the Lightning port replacing the standard headphone jack.
    Because I'll have to carry these adapters.  And I'll tend to forget the mini display port to VGA adapter for my MBP at least once a month
    most people won't need or carry adapters. They'll continue to use the bundled solution. If you need the adapter for your own use case, you're the outlier and dongles are your fate. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 32 of 38
    I like the idea of a pair of top-quality beats with dual lighting ports, like the higher end models already sport dual 3.5mm mini-jacks. then also add blue-tooth functionality to them (better quality through lighting cable but options are good). as well add in each ear cup put lithium batteries that power the head phones but also when over 30% changes up the iPhone more, and visa-versa. and the dual ports could piggy back more headphones or get power from a changer and simultaneously boost up both devices batteries while listening if u want. And then keep the mini-jack on the damn iPhone, but then this way you have your transition to new ports, while not totally pissing off the 20-30 established public standard, and actually making it a compelling option that people could warm up to dropping the mini-jack in the further. But the Blue-tooth option is key, as bluetooth only head phones exist and people don't cry bloody murder over them now. Do this Apple/ Beats and you win! Anything other than this is just laziness as it would be a huge hit, and the tech is available to do so it should be easy enough to engineer.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 33 of 38
    marcel-xmarcel-x Posts: 1member
    WTF? Who asked for the thinnest ever? This is resulting in the biggest bag with accessories ever! I bet people rather have the most flexible Apple device ever. Give us some extra milimeters and add usb, larger battery, double sim to name a few.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 34 of 38
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Marvin said:
    1983 said:
    No mention if these adaptors incorporate their own DACs. Which they'll probably need to do to function properly as Lightning is an all digital interface...unless Apple has adjusted Lightning's specification slightly on the upcoming iPhone 7 to compensate for this.
    Lightning is apparently able to do passthrough audio so there shouldn't be a requirement for an external DAC. There's a page here from an MFi manufacturer that shows Lightning audio products:

Headphones would just have a Lightning connector on one end and optionally a connector on the other so they'd work with other devices by switching the cable. Apple might try to push wireless headphones though so the Lightning plug wouldn't be a restriction as they'd work wirelessly with a lot of devices. Wired audio is like wired internet and it restricts movement. Wireless audio also prevents cables getting caught on things:

Lightning does not do pass-through analogue audio. It is purely digital. Any Lightning device that outputs audio has a built-in DAC.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    spheric said:
    Marvin said:

Lightning does not do pass-through analogue audio. It is purely digital. Any Lightning device that outputs audio has a built-in DAC.
    Not presently, but it's capable of doing it. Will Apple ever enable that? Probably not. If they wanted to they could have made everyone's life much simpler in moving from 30-pin to Lightning, as well as the Lightning docks.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    This is a continuing problem for Apple. There are times where elimination of legacy ports or parts helps move computing ahead. It makes life easier because the devices become more reliable, more manageable, and the more future oriented solutions it helps promote end up being much better.

I'm not sure which side Apple will end up on with regard to the headphones matter. There are inexpensive pairs of bluetooth headphones that work quite well for $20-25 now and I'm sure Apple will include a pair with the new purchase of an iPhone. However it becomes another device to manage, to charge and to have to worry about daily.

I have two pairs of bluetooth headphones. I also keep a couple pairs of wired headphones around just in case I forgot to charge them or whatever. I hate cords so I try to make sure to charge my headphones whenever possible.

On our cars we are about half and half with stereos and whether they have bluetooth or aux ports for getting music to the stereos.

I'm suspecting this will be a good move at some point but I'm not sure we are really there yet. Most people cannot run down to Best Buy or Walmart and grab their kids an extra set of $10-30 bluetooth headphones for the car ride yet from what I have seen.

I'm worried Apple might get too far ahead of the curve and they end up in the realm of boutique rather than merely high end. I can see the adapters, if inexpensive as making it manageable but not sure I really see the need for Apple to go there. This move reminds me of the iPod Shuffle Apple made that had no buttons whatsoever. The generation after it returned the buttons because only being able to use the shuffle with Apple specific headphones cause major problems. Companies sold cases that slid over the shuffle to give it buttons, people sold headphones adapters to emulate the Apple headphone buttons so it could be used with third party headphones but eventually Apple pulled their head out of their butt and gave back physical controls.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    mac_128 said:
    jonl said:
    What an awful future. Those things have batteries and have to be charged, which sucks for anyone who wants to keep using their current headphones. In addition, how many people who would upgrade from the supplied earpods would consider buying expensive Lightning headphones that work only with iOS devices? Want to use them with other equipment that uses the standard port, including your Mac, or a real stereo? You need a different kind of adapter that requires power. What an awful future.
    No they don't. They don't need to use any more power via the Lightning bus than the built in DAC and amp currently uses.

and wrong again about buying expensive headphones that only work with iOS devices. If you've been in the market for any headphones, you'd know they all mostly have removable cords now. Demand will not only reduce the price of digital headphones, but combo digital/analogue ports will allow one set of headphones to be used with any device a customer wants with the appropriate cable. 
    Does this include in ear earheadphones? I haven't seen anything portable with a removable cord (thats not bluetooth) ? Does this now mean that on flights that don't allow you to use radio equipment, I will not be able to listen to music then (if I dont have another headset with me)?!? What a bummer... thats quite a dealbreaker for me...
  • Reply 38 of 38
    cropr said:

And when has apple give the user a pair of usable earbuds :# ... still waiting.............