Apple moving to 3-year 'major' iPhone cycle, adding complex vibrations to 2017 model - report

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple will likely be waiting until next year to debut its next major iPhone refresh, treating this year's "iPhone 7" as yet another interim upgrade, a Japanese report said on Tuesday.

Edge-to-edge iPhone display concept by Martin Hajek.
Edge-to-edge iPhone display concept by Martin Hajek.

The 2017 iPhone is expected to make the switch to OLED, among other important design changes, Nikkei said. While that would support recent rumors, the business publication also made an original claim that the device will have a new vibration motor, capable of producing more complex patterns than earlier iPhones.

That could indicate that Apple will use an evolved version of its "Taptic Engine," found in devices like the Apple Watch and the iPhone 6s. The technology lets devices produce different, subtle responses to user actions and notifications.

The "iPhone 7" is likely to stay mostly the same, Nikkei said, the most noticeable difference being the removal of the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. Camera, water resistance, and battery technology should be improved, the paper continued, also mentioning that "a high-end version of the model will give users better-quality photo capabilities via correction functions."

Rumors have suggested that the standard iPhone 7 might gain optical image stabilization, while a "7 Plus" will have a dual-lens camera.

The report lastly claimed that based on Apple production schedules given to suppliers, the company is not expecting 2016 iPhone sales to top 2015. The company posted its first-ever year-over-year decline in iPhone units during the March quarter, and typically sales aren't expected to rebound until new models arrive this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I could well be proved wrong. But I just don't buy these rumours despite multiple sources backing these claims. 
    calilatifbpdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 69
    In a tech industry that is lightning fast moving and highly competitive.. Good luck with that 3 year cycle Apple.. Hope you survive it.
    edited May 2016 6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 3 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    People will predict doom and gloom again and again for this company but they'll continue to rake in billions monthly.
    jay-tmike1calilkruppnolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 4 of 69
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    In a tech industry that is lightning fast moving and highly competitive.. Good luck with that 3 year cycle Apple.. Hope you survive it.
    It actually makes perfect sense. The business is more stable and there are fewer ground-breaking improvements each year. We are in the phase where the changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
    nolamacguyfotoformatsingularitybaconstangdoozydozenjay-tbonobob
  • Reply 5 of 69
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Like I said yesterday; the FUD shoes keep on dropping.
    So what do we have now, 2 weeks before WWDC?
    - India situation
    - lawsuits
    - Boring iP 7
    oh yeah; and "death threats".
    coolfactor1983caliericthehalfbee6Sgoldfishlatifbpbaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 69
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Typical nonsense of generalizing based on a single data point.  E.g. financial analysts claim permanent iPhone slow-down based on a single negative y-o-y quarter - never mind that Apple predicted it 3 months prior and was due to the phenomenal iPhone 6 success rather than any real slow down.  And now, they're predicting a 3-year cycle based on just a rumor that the iPhone 7 will not have significant changes this time around.  Never mind that it's just a rumor *and* that even if it turns out to be true could be simply because next year will be the 10 year anniversary for the iPhone and Apple wanted to wait with doing something special for that year.  KISS.
    1983calimattinoz
  • Reply 7 of 69
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I could well be proved wrong. But I just don't buy these rumours despite multiple sources backing these claims. 
    Well, assuming they turn out to be right, a three year cycle makes a lot of sense in many ways, with yearly minor upgrades. iPhones are so good these days that there really is not that much need to upgrade that often.  Having said that it kinda sucks because I am ready to upgrade now and if I do it means i will be 'out of cycle'.  I still use a 5s and it is fine. Now that pay has come to Canada however, I need to upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,128member

Agreed.

I suppose I could see Apple reserve some of the juiciest features for a 10th anniversary version of the phone, but I think the likelihood of moving to a consistent three year cycle is remote, if for no other reason than the Apple upgrade programs are still based on 24 months or less.

latifbp
  • Reply 9 of 69
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    paxman said:
    Well, assuming they turn out to be right, a three year cycle makes a lot of sense in many ways, with yearly minor upgrades. iPhones are so good these days that there really is not that much need to upgrade that often.  Having said that it kinda sucks because I am ready to upgrade now and if I do it means i will be 'out of cycle'.  I still use a 5s and it is fine. Now that pay has come to Canada however, I need to upgrade.
    I'll also be due to upgrade this fall, but if it's just a minor refresh I may hold off (I need a new iPad more, really). I had to replace the battery in my 6 already, so it should last another year. 
  • Reply 10 of 69
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    'Interesting' predictions as always. But for almost very certain, edge-to-edge design that makes design or UI more 'complex', will not be likely by apple standard.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    rockawrockaw Posts: 23member
    Switching to three years could make the phones more affordable (you'd see 30-36 month device purchase agreements start to pop up), but would be foolish from a business perspective for Apple. They would almost instantly encourage their customers to wait an extra year before upgrading. Compare six years of revenue for Apple under the current plan versus a three year cycle:

Six years: new iPhone every two years = Three iPhones purchased ($750 each), $2250 revenue for Apple.
    Six years: new iPhone every three years = Two iPhones purchased ($750 each), $1500 revenue for Apple.

Do you really think Apple is going to voluntarily erase a third of their future revenue?
    zoetmbicoco3
  • Reply 12 of 69
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    For those of you who think technology has flat-lined in phones I urge you to go on the website
    www.patentlyapple.com to see what we are in store for . Bendable two sided phones, augmented reality, etc. I choose to do my own research and not get my information from Mainstream media, especially on a company as secretive as Apple, just follow the patents they file and draw your own conclusions and not wait for CNBC or a article to be written.
    calibaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 13 of 69
    redraider11redraider11 Posts: 186member
    Makes sense to me. Cars used to be the same way 60+ years ago with new designs coming out almost yearly. Now you're lucky to get a complete redesign every 7-10 years with a minor refresh in the middle. The technology Apple is wanting to use is getting harder and harder to implement and I think they are just wanting more time to make sure it's done right. Also, redesigning and retooling machines and training people every couple of years to make a completely new device gets expensive. 
    nolamacguybaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 14 of 69
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    it all depends on what you define as "major." 

I'm inferring they regard the 5s as something less than "major," but the 5s had a CPU that was about twice as fast as the 5, a much better camera, and it introduced TouchID. If that's the standard for a minor update, then I see no cause for concern. 

The 6s, on the other hand, is not nearly as impressive relative to the 6. The camera quality is virtually identical, 3d touch is not nearly as compelling as TouchID, and the CPU improvement, while impressive on paper, is less meaningful in terms of user experience. 

So.... if the difference between the 6s and 7 is akin to the difference between the 5 and the 5s, then I'll be buying a 7+ this year. If the difference is more akin to 6s vs 6, I'll probably hold off. 
    radarthekatbaconstanganantksundaramcornchip
  • Reply 15 of 69
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    blastdoor said:
    it all depends on what you define as "major." 

I'm inferring they regard the 5s as something less than "major," but the 5s had a CPU that was about twice as fast as the 5, a much better camera, and it introduced TouchID. If that's the standard for a minor update, then I see no cause for concern. 

The 6s, on the other hand, is not nearly as impressive relative to the 6. The camera quality is virtually identical, 3d touch is not nearly as compelling as TouchID, and the CPU improvement, while impressive on paper, is less meaningful in terms of user experience. 

So.... if the difference between the 6s and 7 is akin to the difference between the 5 and the 5s, then I'll be buying a 7+ this year. If the difference is more akin to 6s vs 6, I'll probably hold off. 
    IMO the biggest boost with the 6s was 2GB RAM. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 69
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Agreed.

I suppose I could see Apple reserve some of the juiciest features for a 10th anniversary version of the phone, but I think the likelihood of moving to a consistent three year cycle is remote, if for no other reason than the Apple upgrade programs are still based on 24 months or less.

I agree!

I think the iPhone will have an annual upgrade cycle.  Each new model will offer a capability (at least one) that will be best-exploited by the latest new hardware.   The 2016 iPhone may have a new, compelling, Siri and/or other cloud or social service.

Actually, calling today's iPhone, a phone is a misnomer -- it is a very personal accessory ...  It can interact with others socially, take pictures and videos, play games, present videos/movies/events, surf the web, play music, provide notifications, navigation,  buy and pay for things, etc.   Oh, it can even be used make and receive phone calls.

When you look at the device from that perspective, it seems that the secret sauce is to offer new capabilities that we can't live without -- and do them best on the newest device.

baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Not this sh** again.....

Just because YOU can't think of anything new and creative doesn't mean Apple can't.

RU•MOR
    /ˈro͞omər:
    a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth:
    "This iPhone story is based on a rumor."

Do you people ever get it?

nolamacguyanomedoozydozencornchip
  • Reply 18 of 69
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    paxman said:
    If that's true, then there's no need to remove the 3.5mm Jack, and that would certainly be a major strike against the phone sales, which offers little more than a speed bump over the previou model. 
    larrya
  • Reply 19 of 69
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    mac_128 said:
    paxman said:
    If that's true, then there's no need to remove the 3.5mm Jack, and that would certainly be a major strike against the phone sales, which offers little more than a speed bump over the previou model. 
    Mmm ...

The removal of the 35 mm jack, likely, would be to improve water resistance.

The rumored 32 Gig minimum storage and speed bump could be used to implement an improved Siri based on VocalIQ tech -- where context and much of the heart lifting can be done on the device -- limiting the need for network access.

• Reply 20 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Nonsense. As one pundit summed it up, what’s left to do in the smartphone arena? What hardware features would truly be game changers? What else besides better batteries,  better glass, better antennas, better water resistance? Because that’s ALL we’re seeing right now from manufacturers. Samsung puts out a “new” model every six months and its sales are slumping along with everyone else’s. 

“Complex vibrations?” Pfffftttttt! People already look like weirdos talking to their invisible friend on their Bluetooth headsets. AI? “Siri, how do I wipe my ass with only one sheet of toilet paper?”
    baconstangdoozydozenksec