.Mac, is it worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is .Mac worth the $100? What do I get? iCal looks pretty cool, anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    go to the .mac website for more details. Bascially u get 100mb of internet space and 15mb of email space.

And for your information, u do not need .mac to download ical or use ical. .mac do allow u to sync your calenders to your homepage though.

Well, in my opinion, if u already have an email which u are very satisfied with, there is not much advantage going to .mac, unless u have lots of spam or u need for space.

Homepage is a good feature only if u need it.

Weigh the pros and cons carefully. Once u get hooked, u will not be able to get out easily. Just like me.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I thought $50 was fair enough for the webspace and e-mail. I don't think I'd pay $100 for it, though. I'd have to weigh the alternatives a lot more at that price. Of course, many people think Apple will add more features to .Mac a bit later, better justifying the investment.

And, no you don't *need* .Mac for iChat, iPhoto, or iCal. It just makes publishing a little easier.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    personally i need the homepage (how else can i post photos to AI?)....i like the email and i like the free photos they gave...was worth the 50 bucks...will most likely go with the 100 bucks when it comes down the pipe...hopefully they will give more photos and stuff to ease the pain.....g
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I think that .mac is worth it. Here are my beefs:

1. Introduction of .mac was poorly handled, especially eliminating free email.

2. Many of the apps have limited functionality and integration. For example, Webmail lacks features such as address book import/export, spell check, address grouping; that are standard in various free webmail services. It also can't sync addresses with Mail, yet.

3. .mac experiences too many outages and slowdowns for a paid service.

What I like:

1. An all-Apple solution that doesn't require me to research dozens of free, and often limited, alternatives. I can find free email, web hosting, etc., elsewhere, but basically I'm too busy and too lazy to do so.

2. Although integration is lacking, it is there to a certain degree and promises to get better. For example, moving photos from iPhoto to Homepage is a snap.

3. Hompage. I have no idea how to setup a website. Homepage is a godsend for non-technical users like me.

4. The promise of future improvements to existing apps and the addition of new ones.

5. No advertising (except Apple). God I hate the adds on Hotmail.

6. It looks pretty. Sorry, but aesthetics count.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    very nice post by gobble gobble....agree with his pro's and con's.....number 3 of his con's needs to improve...are you listening apple?

g
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think it was worth the $50 I paid, but I don't know about $100.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I think it was worth the $50 I paid, but I don't know about $100.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup, I agree. $100 is really a steep price to pay. $50 is a much more realistic figure. Really hope Apple will reduce the price for .mac next year. Anyone knows if this gonna happen??
  • Reply 8 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>

Yup, I agree. $100 is really a steep price to pay. $50 is a much more realistic figure. Really hope Apple will reduce the price for .mac next year. Anyone knows if this gonna happen??</strong><hr></blockquote>

I doubt anyone would know now if it was gunna happen. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    They could introduce tiers into their service.

$50

1 email

30MB web space

10MB mailbox

$100

2 emails

100MB web space

15MB mailboxes.

Or something like that... (I just cobbled it together, you guys can imagine better combos) All other goodies as is, with maybe a few bonuses (like photo-printing) thrown into the $100 package.

What's the policy ATM? They might consider offering it free for 6 months with a new mac purchase, just to get people hooked?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I only paid for .mac because of the free prints they offer,the are a $50 value by themselves. I also only paid $50. If you don't need the webspace .mac becomes less vaulable becaues if you have an ISP chances are they can set you up with an email account without much difficulty. 100megs of webspace is a little harder to come by without paying. I think $50 was resonable, but i doubt i will pay again next year if i have to pay $100.

I also paid because it would have been a hastle to lose my old itools email account.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    $100 upfront is a lot, but if you think about it as roughly $8 a month, or less than $2 a week it's not so bad.

If you're going to use the homepage & email, it's almost worth it for that alone.

I've personally started using the backup & virus scans simply because I can very easily whereas before .mac I had never in my life scanned my Apple computers for viruses.

I have yet to use my free prints because I don't have a digital camera. That too is a good deal though.

The promise of more services is a bonus.

iCal is not worth much right now. It's very, very sluggish and emailing you a reminder has not yet been perfected.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    $100 is a lot of money no matter how you slice it. That's a few nights at the bar, or a handful of new CDs, or even a new hard drive that will hold a hell of a lot more than 100 MB.

I was very upset about .mac, primarily because Apple had previously stated that iTools would be free. When they began charging for iTools, they upped the features and charged a very high price, neglecting that fact that for most iTools users, the feature set was exactly what they needed!

I wouldn't have minded paying a bit for email and a bit of storage, but I don't need all the extra features of .mac, and certainly not 100 MB of storage if I can't even use it to host my own website (at least, not one with a significant amount of traffic). And what's up with the backup application???!?! Why would I want to back up 100 MB of files on some server with questionable reliability and unknown security? I've got an extra HD, a CD burner, and a VST Zip drive for backups, I don't need some paltry 100 MBs of backup space for $100 a year! And if you have data that's so important that you need off-site backups, then 100 MBs probably won't be enough, and .mac probably won't be secure enough.

Here's what I would want:

1. An email account with @mac.com, or @Apple.com, or something that lets people know that I'm a bit of a Mac freak.

2. ~10 MB of server space. All I do with this space is post pics for sig files, and sometimes to share small files with friends. I don't need more than 15 MB, and 100 MB is like putting the whole turkey on my plate at Thanksgiving dinner. It's more than I want and even more than I could eat.

3. Reliability. As a free service, it was OK if iTools experienced down time now and then. But if I'm paying for it, then it better be reliable 24/7. No outages, ever, except for small amounts of scheduled down time.

What would be a fair price for a service like this? Per year? Perhaps $15-$25.

I recommend that anyone considering .mac considers the following:

1. Use the email account provided by your ISP.

2. Put the $100 towards an extra hard drive. Multiple HDs rock--you can back-up your data and even have an extra OS X system for emergencies. Much more useful than Apple's .mac.

Of course Apple knows all this, but they also know that many Mac users have money to burn, and the key to profits is to give them ways to burn their money.

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>