Apple's iPhone is no Blackberry: a closer look at AI and the world's biggest company

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Marco and his friends also stress that apple can no longer write software that they like using. They don't like photos, music, etc. 
    They are VERY down on apple
    I had to stop listening to his podcast, The Accidental Podcast, because his rhetorical nonsense level was off the charts. Never mind that his current income may be tied to app sales on iOS. He's a textbook bleeding heart Left collectivist who is constantly biting the hand that feeds him. And don't get me started on his content blocker app brouhaha.
    edited May 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 42 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

cali said:
    Goog makes %70 mobile profit from iOS.

Advance Siri.
    Decrease our reliance on outdated web search engines.
    Cut off a large chunk of Goog's profits.

not sure what's taking Apple so long.
    They're getting there. I would love it if they made an exclusive long term deal for Watson with IBM.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    He said with a skin an Android phone can look and work an iPhone.  My other question is with a skin can Android phone use the Apple EarPods with the ability to scan through music lists and ask Siri questions without touching the Android phone? 
    No, you'd have to use Google Now for that. ;) Apple hasn't yet ported Siri to Android. 
    So what he said about Android phone  look and work just like iPhone is rubbish. 
  • Reply 44 of 78
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Marvin said:
    flaneur said:
    First, thanks to Daniel for taking on these guys. Siracusa, Arment, Gruber have become like the Tea Party wing in the Apple blogosphere. Their new favorite word is "worrisome," along with "concerning." Dalrymple even. Stop worrying. It's contageous. Or at least stop talking about it.
    Those people are just individuals with individual opinions. Their worrying shouldn't be contageous unless they articulate something to worry about that resonates with people, which I don't think any of them have. They each probably experienced key problems that affected them personally. Dalrymple lost some music; Arment was involved with Tumblr so maybe cloud services and AI are important to him; Siracusa has spoken about Apple's UI decisions and software quality - he's a web developer so iCloud issues and syncing will likely affect him most. Some people have an ingrained idea of how things are supposed to be designed and how they should work and when something moves away from that, it feels wrong to them. Apple's modern UI designs are better than they've ever been for the most part. Any UI or software problems Apple has had are still nothing compared to the mess you experience on other platforms, those users are just accustomed to it.

When it comes to AI, the goal would be to have a way of communicating with a machine on a human level but imagine having an actual human being. What would you really need them for on a regular basis? It's nice to be able to look things up quickly and accurately but most of the time people spend with devices isn't searching for things, it's social networking, games, movies, music, shopping, productivity. The whole point of talking to other human beings in a social way is that they're real people with real experiences. A robot will never have an individualistic life experience, they will have a programmed, artificial identity. Intelligence in the cloud is important for finding things so it's of far more importance to search engines. Apple doesn't run a search engine, Siri uses 3rd party search engines to answer questions.

Devices are extensions of people. People produce, consume, communicate and play. The role of a device is to improve those things. That's why Blackberry failed because the iPhone's design vastly improved people's ability to do those things in a mobile context. The iPhone won't fail unless something else can significantly improve this experience.
    Ah.  The voice of reason and logic.  Very rare these days.  Indeed, "voice-based AI" (when it really works:) will be a great feature & will be a huge enabler of new services to come.  But I don't think it is going to remove the need (desire) to have a smartphone, smartwatch, TV systems/consoles, tablet or laptop/desktop computer.  Is the AI going to read articles/stories/books out loud to me?  Is it going to watch TV/movies/videos and tell me about them?  Is it going to play my games for me and let me know the score?  Shall I just ask out loud for the time whenever I need to know it?  Doesn't really sound like that much fun.

Products in the "AI field" will become very valuable in many ways, in many areas of businesses (this is already evident today).  Great opportunity there (providing the collective idiots don't eventually unleash a devil that destroys us all...had to have that rant) for companies to pursue.  Maybe Google will get there first and figure out a way to make money out of it (don't see advertising as the path) - but that is only tangentially going to affect Apple in the intermediate term (maybe in the long-long run...assuming Apple doesn't do anything about it and it is a winner-take-all in that space).

The truth remains - Apple is currently the best positioned company in the computing / mobile / wearable / consumer & home electronics markets to survive and flourish.
    edited May 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 45 of 78
    tzeshan said:
     other question is with a skin can Android phone use the Apple EarPods with the ability to scan through music lists and ask Siri questions without touching the Android phone? 
    That is possibly the worst argument ever. Your argument is that an accessory sold with the iPhone designed for iPhone makes a skin worthless. While I don't use skins on my Android that completely that argument is moronic. 

Should I claim Apple is bad becuase I can't use gear VR or I can't use micro USB accessories.
    singularity
  • Reply 46 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    No, you'd have to use Google Now for that. ;) Apple hasn't yet ported Siri to Android. 
    By many accounts Google Now works better than Siri.  But you're right, it's not exactly the same, by virtue of not being the exact same thing, so I guess you win.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    He said with a skin an Android phone can look and work an iPhone.  My other question is with a skin can Android phone use the Apple EarPods with the ability to scan through music lists and ask Siri questions without touching the Android phone? 
    Correct. It looks and works like Android. 
  • Reply 48 of 78
    crowley said:
    tzeshan said:
    By many accounts Google Now works better than Siri.  But you're right, it's not exactly the same, by virtue of not being the exact same thing, so I guess you win.
    You missed my point.  Does Google Now works with Apple EarPods?  
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 49 of 78
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Smartphones will be dead cheap ($20, $30 or less) in the near future and android is on par with iOS from a customer perspective, so yes, Apple will have a difficult time selling iPhones in a few years.

I have some advice how to keep earning the billions they do now and even increase it (I hope Apple is fair and shifts some billions in my direction as compensation): burn a few 100 billion dollar less (that's free money) and buy (and develop) a satellite network that covers the world, then, start selling a global telephone service with complementary iPhones.
    Bingo.

• Reply 50 of 78

tzeshan said:
    That is possibly the worst argument ever. Your argument is that an accessory sold with the iPhone designed for iPhone makes a skin worthless. While I don't use skins on my Android that completely that argument is moronic. 

Should I claim Apple is bad becuase I can't use gear VR or I can't use micro USB accessories.
    You do not know user experience.  How can you do apple v. samsung?  iPhone may not be able to use gear VR.  There are other VRs iPhone users can use.  On the other hand, can Android phone users have the same experience of Apple EarPods? 
  • Reply 51 of 78
    tzeshan said:
    crowley said:
    tzeshan said:
    Why wouldn't they? My MotoX doesn't seem to care what earpods are connected to initiate voice actions via Google Now. Have you tried them on an Android phone for yourself? 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 52 of 78
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Why wouldn't they? My MotoX doesn't seem to care what earpods are connected to initiate voice actions via Google Now. Have you tried them on an Android phone for yourself? 
    Are you an iPhone user?  Apple EarPods have a lightning connector which Android phone can not connect with.  
  • Reply 53 of 78
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Are you an iPhone user?  Apple EarPods have a lightning connector which Android phone can not connect with.  
    Ever see a Lightning to USB converter? You should actually look stuff up since you would have found comments from Android users about their Apple Earpods used with their Android smartphones

To make it easy to find just search "Using Apple Earpods with my Android phone" or if you want to be more specific search "using Apple Earpods with Samsung Galaxy" as an example. 
    edited May 2016 singularity
  • Reply 54 of 78
    tzeshan said:
    crowley said:
    Yes it does. Just want to be sure you are referring to Apple EarPods I only ask because last I checked two Minutes ago these where not lightning cable.(http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic)
  • Reply 55 of 78
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    Link to this product please.

The iPhone does not work with Apple Lightning EarPods because such a thing does not exist.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Ever see a Lightning to USB converter? You should actually look stuff up since you would have found comments from Android users about their Apple Earpods used with their Android smartphones

To make it easy to find just search "Using Apple Earpods with my Android phone" or if you want to be more specific search "using Apple Earpods with Samsung Galaxy" as an example. 
    You did not answer my question.  It seems you are not an iPhone user.  After a search I found Apple EarPods does not work with Android smartphones.  
    http://www.apple.com/shop/question/answers/product/MD827LL/A/will-the-earpods-work-with-other-smartphones-and-audio-devices/QAJD797YC9C97T4UA
  • Reply 57 of 78
    crowley said:
    tzeshan said:

The iPhone does not work with Apple Lightning EarPods because such a thing does not exist.
    Sorry, I was thinking about the rumored iPhone 7. 
  • Reply 58 of 78
    tzeshan said:
    crowley said:

So your argument is that Android phones do not work with a rumoured Apple product and proprietary accessory?  Well gee, no shit Sherlock, they aren't powered by Unicorn tears or made of Mithril either.  And you seriously call out someone else for talking "rubbish"?

Btw, Google Now work with Apple non-Lightning EarPods if the hardware supports it.  HTC phones support it, and some others.
    edited May 2016 gatorguysingularity
  • Reply 59 of 78
    crowley said:
    tzeshan said:
    So your argument is that Android phones do not work with a rumoured Apple product and proprietary accessory?  Well gee, no shit Sherlock, they aren't powered by Unicorn tears or made of Mithril either.  And you seriously call out someone else for talking "rubbish"?

Btw, Google Now work with Apple non-Lightning EarPods if the hardware supports it.  HTC phones support it, and some others.
    My argument is disputing the fandroid's statement that with a skin an Android phone can look and work like an iPhone.  It looks all you fandroids can not support his exaggeration and distortion.  
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    knowitall said:
    Smartphones will be dead cheap ($20, $30 or less) in the near future and android is on par with iOS from a customer perspective, so yes, Apple will have a difficult time selling iPhones in a few years.

I have some advice how to keep earning the billions they do now and even increase it (I hope Apple is fair and shifts some billions in my direction as compensation): burn a few 100 billion dollar less (that's free money) and buy (and develop) a satellite network that covers the world, then, start selling a global telephone service with complementary iPhones.
    Bingo.
    The kind of computers that were available in the 80s can now be manufactured for ~ $20. But today we don't use them, we use modern machines that can do things those simpler machines can't. 

While the iPhone looks like it's a phone, it's really a handheld computer with some phone functions. Apple will have no problem selling premium computers as long as they do valuable new things basic devices can't. 

And the problem with satellite telephone service is latency. Also bandwidth.