Rumored rose gold 'iPhone 7' shell shows single camera, tweaked antenna

Posted:
in iPhone
With production of Apple's next-generation iPhone believed to be ramping up, a new purported parts leak shows a rose gold rear casing said to be for a 4.7-inch "iPhone 7," complete with revised antenna lines and a single-lens camera.

The alleged Apple component was originally posted on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, and spotlighted by IT Home on Tuesday. The part has a generally iPhone-like appearance, including placement of the camera lens, flash and microphone holes in the upper left corner.

Consistent with earlier "iPhone 7" leaks, the part shows that the antenna lines across the back of the handset have been removed. It is expected that the lines will only adorn the top and bottom edges of the rear shell for this year's redesign.

Aside from those expected changes and the already-established rose gold color, the part offers no other indications on new features or capabilities. The shown component appears to be damaged at the bottom and is missing an Apple logo, suggesting that it came from the factory defective, if it's even legitimate.

The photo shows just a rear shell without any parts. But earlier leaks have suggested the camera lens on the "iPhone 7" will once again protrude from the back of the device, just as it does on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6 series.

The single-lens design shown is also worth noting, as some leaks have suggested Apple could introduce a new dual-lens camera with this year's upgrade. But recent reports and parts have suggested the dual-lens design could be limited to the larger "iPhone 7 Plus" variant.

It's also possible that the larger "iPhone 7 Plus" may exclusively receive 3 gigabytes of RAM for processing images and general usage, as well as a magnetic Smart Connector port for new charging and accessory connection opportunities.

Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPhone lineup at a media event in September. It's highly likely that the handsets will become available soon after they are unveiled, as Apple has done in years past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jbishop1039jbishop1039 Posts: 257member
    I'm pretty much over the whole camera bump thing. Kind of a nonissue at this point. That white antenna line is pretty horrific looking though. Couldn't have colour matched them a bit even? But regardless, I'll be getting the iPhone 7. I'm sure there's a lot more to this phone than a similar design. It would be kind of foolish to write something off that you know essentially nothing about.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 22
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I'm pretty much over the whole camera bump thing. Kind of a nonissue at this point. That white antenna line is pretty horrific looking though. Couldn't have colour matched them a bit even? But regardless, I'll be getting the iPhone 7. I'm sure there's a lot more to this phone than a similar design. It would be kind of foolish to write something off that you know essentially nothing about.
    I can think of a lot of things more horrific than the antenna lines on the iPhone. Perhaps they couldn't color match them well enough to make them blend in so they chose to go white instead. Most people have their phones in cases for obvious reasons so they never see these antenna lines anyway.
    mdriftmeyervl-tonejay-tredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 22
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The camera hole looks smaller and in a slightly different position than on other iPhone 7 backs leaked so far. The antenna lines are a big improvement though, but still too visible in that contrasting white on rose gold here. Still seems like its going to be a bit of a meh upgrade this time.
  • Reply 4 of 22
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I can think of a lot of things more horrific than the antenna lines on the iPhone. Perhaps they couldn't color match them well enough to make them blend in so they chose to go white instead. Most people have their phones in cases for obvious reasons so they never see these antenna lines anyway.
    That makes sense that's why Apple keeps recycling and milking the same design because people will just cover it with a case. A great time to be a designer at Apple. Come up a design, sit around and get paid a lot for a few years before getting back to work on a new design by moving the antenna lines.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    It seems like they tried to match the antenna lines color on the space gray model, but depending on the light and angle you look at it, the lines are either darker or lighter than the aluminum that surrounds them, because the reflectivity properties of plastic and anodized metal are vastly different.

So unless they paint the plastic lines with some metallic paint that has the same exact reflectivity properties as the casing, there's simply no way to match the colors.

I remember that one of the leaked gold iPhone 6 casings pictures was showing beige/brownish antenna lines, instead of the white lines in the final production model. Maybe they did try to match the colors but were displeased with the results and decided to "assume" the lines by making them white instead.

edited May 2016 jay-tredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 22
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    So I take it you didn't sell all your Apple stock when the antenna lines proved to be real? ;)
  • Reply 8 of 22
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Sounds like you just said iPhones are so ugly, most people just put them in a case.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    It'd sure be funny if moving the antennas was done for some kind of technical reason. (better reception, etc.)
    Naw. With Apple everything they do is just about the look.    Right??
  • Reply 10 of 22
    LPmagooLPmagoo Posts: 5member
    All I know is the 6S had zero wow factor for me...I barely use the 3D touch so not much different from the 6...now the 7 is looking even less compelling than the 6S...this from the largest company, most Tech company in the world???? The new "7" isn't even Yawn worthy...Would Steve do it like this...I doubt it!!!
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 11 of 22
    LPmagoo said:
    All I know is the 6S had zero wow factor for me...I barely use the 3D touch so not much different from the 6...now the 7 is looking even less compelling than the 6S...this from the largest company, most Tech company in the world???? The new "7" isn't even Yawn worthy...Would Steve do it like this...I doubt it!!!
    3D / Force Touch is the best thing about the 6s. I can never go back to a one-button mouse either. But enjoy staying in the past. (with Steve)
    edited May 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 22
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    LPmagoo said:
    Oh lord...are we really still doing this? The whole "Would Steve do it like this?" crap. This always kills me. Don't purport to know what Steve Jobs would do. And please stop acting like you're on a first name basis with the guy.
    bobschlobnolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 22
    MarAlvMarAlv Posts: 1member
    I really don't want to believe that this is the real thing, because if it is, Apple will make history as the worst design ever for a smartphone! I own a 6S Plus and I will be happy to upgrade, but not to this...
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 14 of 22
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Interesting that it has the holes for the camera and flash, but not the Apple logo cutout.

I'm not going to believe any of these leaks until we see the actual phone in September. They read like either someone's fantasy of all the magical things a phone could do, or a desperate attempt to show Apple can't innovate, and are therefore doomed.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    appleemplappleempl Posts: 75member
    I don't think this is a real iPhone. Anyways, since most people put the iPhone in a case, it really doesn't matter what it looks like, or the antenna lines showing up or not. I think I took my iPhone 6 Plus out of it case about 5 times in two years, 3 times were to change the case, and the other two to show it to a friend and my 95 year old mother that got a kick out of how thin it was. Nevertheless I'm gonna wait out this cycle unless iPhone 7 has some really compelling whizbang new features that I think I may use. I do love my 6 Plus so far and haven't had a single issue with it. iOS has crashes once in a while but never as much as my son's One Plus or his subsequent Samsung S6 android phones.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MarAlv said:
    I really don't want to believe that this is the real thing, because if it is, Apple will make history as the worst design ever for a smartphone! I own a 6S Plus and I will be happy to upgrade, but not to this...
    The damage in the bottom right is part of a new worn-in look that they'll be shipping with.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jmmsojmmso Posts: 1member
    These rumors about the iPhone 7 lead me to believe that Apple doesn't want to sell many smatphones. This iPhone 6SS does not awaken me any interest.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    That makes sense that's why Apple keeps recycling and milking the same design because people will just cover it with a case. A great time to be a designer at Apple. Come up a design, sit around and get paid a lot for a few years before getting back to work on a new design by moving the antenna lines.
    you dont understand apple. they've said it many times -- they dont do change for change's sake. they won't release a new body unless its better. these antenna lines are better than before. but as the device gets more minimal i doubt we'll see much change in form factor.

remind yourself -- design isn't just how something looks, it's how it works. a clever guy said that.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    LPmagoo said:
    when did trolls start hammering AI?

AI staff & moderators -- could you please suggest to the guy who owns this site and its ad revenue, that you re-enable the post-holding on newbies? often the single- or few-post accounts weaken your signal-to-noise ratio, which makes your web property less valuable. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    LPmagoo said:

So, Mr. Magoo, you bought a 6S even though it had zero wow factor? By that logic, you are definitely going to buy the 7, right? Or did you buy the 6S without doing your homework?

edited June 2016