Photos of purported MacBook Pro chassis surface with OLED touch bar slot, four USB ports, no MagSaf

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    frank777 said:
    Hopefully the leak about it coming late in the year was just misdirection.

Didn't they say Q4? Apples fiscal year means that Q4 to Apple is actually the Jul-Sep quarter. Many thought Q4 automatically meant Oct-Dec.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I frequently use the top bar blindly, knowing that the Esc key is at the upper left (a very useful key!), followed by the brightness, volume and playback keys. I fear that usability will be degraded by requiring one to look at the touch bar to know where to press. Let's hope that Apple has some common sense in their design of this.
    I’ve remapped those worthless keyboard brightness keys to cmd-shift-[ and cmd-shift-] (previous tab, next tab), I’m gonna hate giving that up.

Griffin makes a "magsafe for USB-C" cable but the connection is apparently quite weak (to allow the cord to break if it's a featherweight Macbook). It sticks out from the laptop a bit, but I imagine one could put the magnet side on the charger instead of the laptop.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 23 of 108
    … It is possible that the glass over the OLED strip uses Force Touch for "clicks" (like the trackpad) and has some ridges so one could "feel" the keys.
    edited May 2016 adirii1983
  • Reply 24 of 108
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Can someone try their best to explain to me the benefit of a potential move away from MagSafe, other than cost savings for Apple? Oh, and without throwing a tantrum in the process, lol.

I know quite a few pro users whom are very nervous of the mechanical function bar being replaced. They are software engineers and algorithm developers. They regularly navigate OS X exclusively through function keys and other various commands. As a pro-sumer, I'm excited
    Well, it's not the answer people like, but ultimately it seems to be an overall strategy to make every port multi function, and remove single-function dedicated ports. And the reason for that? Thinner, smaller, and lighter products. 

That's one reason the 3.5mm headphone jack likely has to go. It's a single function port that takes up a lot of room, and I'm not just talking about the 3.5mm opening. If Apple can safely supply power and data via a single port, and that makes the laptop lighter, then magsafe actually starts to lose its effectiveness since the force required to break the magnet will likely pull the laptop off the counter anyway. And if I'm right and Apple does remover the headphone jack from the iPhone then it makes sense to add a Lightning port to all of the MacBooks, a connector Apple is universally using as a charging connector, which is also robust enough to stay connected, yet pull out easily if needed.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 108
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder if any of those USB ports are actually Thunderbolt 3 ports.
    pulseimages1983badmonk
  • Reply 26 of 108
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    That can't be a MacBook Pro chassis. The design sucks... That pointless grid between keys... Overly large keys compared to the overall size, the lack of MagSafe, speaker grilles on the thin bezels...
    aylkwelshdog
  • Reply 27 of 108
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    apple ][ said:
    Here's another idea. 

Some apps can use the bar as a long volume slider, using the entire bar for just volume control, or brightness control for example. You just slide your finger from left to right to make the volume louder.

Or a Moog Synth can use the entire OLED bar as a ribbon controller, emulating the original. :#
    Awesome ideas. On that same note, why not make the whole keyboard multitouch and have an SDK for it so depending on the app, it could vary from use to use. I see a huge plus in music software and other examples would be illustration software with Apple Pencil support. The possibilities are endless. 
  • Reply 28 of 108
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    wizard69 said:
    Can someone try their best to explain to me the benefit of a potential move away from MagSafe, other than cost savings for Apple? Oh, and without throwing a tantrum in the process, lol.

I know quite a few pro users whom are very nervous of the mechanical function bar being replaced. They are software engineers and algorithm developers. They regularly navigate OS X exclusively through function keys and other various commands. As a pro-sumer, I'm excited
    Actually there are considerable benefits if Apple is open to third party support hardware. Look at it this way, there are many USB power sources out there that may potentially charge this machine. You could for instance have a cheap cigarette lighter, charger for use in a truck, boat or car. This would be fantastic in my mind as I use a USB power source right now to keep iPad charged while driving around. I'm a fairly advanced user and hardly ever use the function keys. In fact I'd have to look up some of the functions they supposedly support. I suppose it depends upon how engraved muscle memory is but I don't see a problem.

Until someone's MBP gets killed by a cheap Chinese charger, or worse the user gets killed, and it's all Apple's fault somehow.

JinTech said:
    apple ][ said:
    Here's another idea. 

Some apps can use the bar as a long volume slider, using the entire bar for just volume control, or brightness control for example. You just slide your finger from left to right to make the volume louder.

Or a Moog Synth can use the entire OLED bar as a ribbon controller, emulating the original. :#
    Awesome ideas. On that same note, why not make the whole keyboard multitouch and have an SDK for it so depending on the app, it could vary from use to use. I see a huge plus in music software and other examples would be illustration software with Apple Pencil support. The possibilities are endless. 
    Because typing on a keyboard with no feedback is horrible?
  • Reply 29 of 108
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    elijahg said:

Because typing on a keyboard with no feedback is horrible?
    I wouldn't say no feedback, but the new ultra thin keyboard on the new MacBook (that I'm typing on right now) provides very little feedback and is almost impossible for me to type at my full speed without making a lot of mistakes.  It's the only thing I hate about it. I was hoping they'd keep the old keyboards on the new Pros. I'd switch back to a Pro just for that.
    aylk
  • Reply 30 of 108
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    wizard69 said:
    ...explain the benefit of a potential move away from MagSafe, other than cost savings for Apple? ...

I know quite a few pro users whom are very nervous of the mechanical function bar being replaced...
    Actually there are considerable benefits if Apple is open to third party support hardware. Look at it this way, there are many USB power sources out there that may potentially charge this machine. You could for instance have a cheap cigarette lighter, charger for use in a truck, boat or car. ...

I'm a fairly advanced user and hardly ever use the function keys. ... I suppose it depends upon how engraved muscle memory is but I don't see a problem.
    All good points, tho, Apple moving away from propriety standards is a new direction that arguably started as recently as with the new MacBook. Imagine Apple all of sudden letting iPhone 7 owners charge their phones with a Samsung charger. Steve would be rolling in his grave.

Here's a good question related to practicality: assuming this report is correct, there would be 4 USB type C ports and no MageSafe, which one accepts power for charging? All of them, or one? Only one would cause an odd UX. A game of musical chairs, so to speak.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    kpluck said:
    wizard69 said:
    Assuming Apple allows that. For instance, I believe a new HP laptop that uses the technology won't charge off anything but an official HP charger. I could easily see Apple doing the same thing.

I am really disappointed, but not surprised, there aren't any standard USB 3.0 ports and no ethernet jack. Apple doesn't seem to care that people don't want to rebuy peripherals or carry around a bunch of dongles. I am sure they will still sell though…Apple seems to have really locked up the more money than brains market.

-kp

You expected an ethernet jack on the next version of the Macbook Pro, even though they dropped it 4 years ago, and the current MBP is like half the thickness of that port? Interesting expectations you have there. Locked up the "money than brains" market? The Macbook Pro is the best selling laptop in the world, and the one used most by industry professionals. I guess all these people have zero brains? I've missed the ethernet port a total of zero times, and I use my MBP for absolutely everything, every single day. I guess I'm also a moron. Yes, they will sell, because the Macbook Pro is a fantastic machine, and the best notebook out there. Oh, I also have zero dongles, and have never needed one, yet trolls like you like to pretend that every Macbook owner is forced to buy 20 dongles. 
    doozydozenwelshdogpatchythepiratefastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 108
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    Re the sliding application of the F-key row; that would be largely pointless given that the trackpad can also be used for applications that would benefit from a slide gesture. I think it's more likely to be a row of keys with reassignable functions, with color icons which can change with the active application. Regardless, I don't expect it to be an improvement. I am quite comfortable with ctrl/option/command/shift key combos and prefer those for given that they can be accessed "blind" once you train yourself on them. I cannot see having to look at the keyboard being an improvement. As a touch typist, I barely ever use the F-row as it is, so it won't matter to me anyway.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 33 of 108
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I know the article says it's not much thinner than the current MBP, but it looks a lot thinner to me from the photo. Am I misjudging it? 
  • Reply 34 of 108
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    crowley said:
    I wonder if any of those USB ports are actually Thunderbolt 3 ports.
    Apple tends to keep all ports that are the same shape having the same function.
    So if one is I'd say they all are.

Maybe the round port isn't a headphone port but a new magsafe Lightening-bolt port to be revealed at the event.
    ie Thunderbolt 3 but direct to optical for data transmission.
    We all know Intel are keen to get dollars for their CMOS laser tech and Thunderbolt was a stop gap measure till they had it ready for mass production.

pulseimages
  • Reply 35 of 108
    jakeb said:
    I know the article says it's not much thinner than the current MBP, but it looks a lot thinner to me from the photo. Am I misjudging it? 
    I agree with you. The clearance around the USB-C ports is about the same as the clearance around the current MBP USB ports, but USB-C is thinner.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    jakeb said:
    Keep in mind that the bottom plate won't be flush, it'll curve outward. So it's possible the edge is thinner but the overall machine thickness isn't that much different. 
  • Reply 37 of 108
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Come on apple make a proper Laptop for power users.
    Not Thin
    With an Ethernet port - I refuse to do banking over WiFi
    With an SD Card slot
    At least 32Gb of Ram
    At least 2TB of storage - As a mobile user I need to take things with me. In many places I am not allowed to connect to the Internet even via my phone. So using any cloud services is impossible. Running VM's from USB3/Thunderbolt is possible but I want everything inside my device.
    3G/4G/5G Capability
    And with Magsafe.

If it had a 17in Retina screen then I'd be first in the queue to buy it.

kernapster
  • Reply 38 of 108
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    Apple keeps taking things away for the sake of thinness. No DVD Drive, no SD card reader, no ethernet port and no mag safe power connector. Everything is for the least expensive manufacturing cost. The customers have no flexibility in future upgrades of RAM Hard Drive or battery. I am sure the price will still be a premium despite the lack of equipment Apple used to offer. If this is the future of the Macbook Pro then I will not be getting a new MBP ever. No real innovation here just elimination of ports and devices we used to get.

• Reply 39 of 108
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Come on apple make a proper Laptop for power users.
    Not Thin
    With an Ethernet port - I refuse to do banking over WiFi
    With an SD Card slot
    At least 32Gb of Ram
    At least 2TB of storage - As a mobile user I need to take things with me. In many places I am not allowed to connect to the Internet even via my phone. So using any cloud services is impossible. Running VM's from USB3/Thunderbolt is possible but I want everything inside my device.
    3G/4G/5G Capability
    And with Magsafe.

If it had a 17in Retina screen then I'd be first in the queue to buy it.

Except you'd complain about the $4500 price tag. 
    Rayz2016pulseimages
  • Reply 40 of 108
    this 4th-gen macbook pro is flux up. why even bother to remove the USB-A ports ... if its not broken don't fix it. innovation my head.
    kernapster