Apple TV won't get Amazon Prime Video until Apple agrees to 'acceptable business terms'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Mr. Bozo, don’t insult our intelligent with your idiotic excuse. You saying avoid confusion, and I say my ass. You support IOS devices than what problem you have with tvos ? Nextflix, HBO Now, ABC, NBC,etc have no issue supporting the same platform. Amazon prime is a paid service by customers and they expect you support any popular platform they choose to run on it and AppleTV is THE popular platform.
    edited June 2016 williamlondondamonfronnnolamacguyigorsky
  • Reply 22 of 100
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Acceptable business practices?! Ironic since this is the exact reason I do not buy from Amazon anymore or sell as a seller on there any longer. 
    monstrosityronnigorsky
  • Reply 23 of 100
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Since Apple doesn't charge developers a cent to have their video subscription services on AppleTV, we can see Amazon's idea of "acceptable business terms", involves either handing over iTunes account information or paying Amazon a stipend. 

Or,  Amazon wants to also be able to allow users to rent/buy videos on the Apple TV without a 30% cut going to Apple.  It is not a big deal on iOS since you have a browser on the device.   Amazon has no interest in iTunes account information.  All they want is for users to be able to push the buy/rent button on movies or shows and then use their already setup Amazon account information to pay for it.

if Apple wants everything purchased in any App Store app to pay them 30% that is their choice. Apple wants to prevent erosion in books, music, and video.     If Amazon doesn't like those terms it is their choice.  This is the reason I have not upgraded any of our 5 Apple TVs and just bought a few fire sticks instead.  We have bought any new movie purchases from Amazon for a while now,since their App works on every platform and their streaming performance is quite a bit better than Apple's.

One day this will resolve itself.  Neither company is evil because of their position.  Bezos calling Apple's position bad business practices is obviously ridiculous,  

If it was just about Prime video streaming this would be over already. It has nothing to do with prime.
    edited June 2016 netmagemike1
  • Reply 24 of 100
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I've got an Amazon Prime app on my iPad. What's the diff? 

I think Amazon sees everyone and everything as competition. 
    Your iPad has a web browser that you can use to purchase content.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So if Amazon Prime was on TV they would have to pay Apple 30% every time someone purchased something via the Prime app? The Prime app wouldn't be associated with their Amazon account and payment information? Or it would but Apple still demands 30%? That makes no sense.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So if Amazon Prime was on TV they would have to pay Apple 30% every time someone purchased something via the Prime app? The Prime app wouldn't be associated with their Amazon account and payment information? Or it would but Apple still demands 30%? That makes no sense.
    Something doesn't make sense I agree. I have TIVO service and I guess Amazon was able to work out acceptable business terms with them since it offers Amazon Prime Video. I also have Roku and Amazon worked out terms with them too since it offers Prime Video. That tells me there's something different with Apple and its terms but no idea what it would be. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Not sure why people are held up on Amazon Prime because there is no Apple TV app. Amazon Prime video content can easily be streamed via AirPlay to any 2nd Gen or later Apple TV from the Prime video app on an iOS device (assuming that most Apple TV owners are also owners of an iOS device). For me, as long as I am a reasonable distance away from my router, it performs without a hiccup. 
  • Reply 28 of 100
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and Google Play Movies that I can stream directly from my new SmartTV or through my Ruku. Also since I only buy digital movies that are cross platform, like Ultraviolet or Vudu or Disney Movies Anywhere, I'm all set up.

I'd like to buy a Apple TV to go with my iPhone and MacBook Pro but see absolutely no reason to since it doesn't have Vudu or Amazon Prime. Don't care about whatever games are on there since I play those on my Xbox or PlayStation. 

Why should I buy a Apple TV? 
  • Reply 29 of 100
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Since Apple doesn't charge developers a cent to have their video subscription services on AppleTV...
    Apple charges the vendor if a service is subscribed to on the Apple TV or if a video is bought or rented on a Apple TV. You can have a player only type app for free but that would require new transactions be done on another device.

I am guessing Amazon did the math and figured it wasn't worth their time to write a player only style app for Apple TV.

-kp
  • Reply 30 of 100
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    schlack said:
    work on this apple, only reason i will not yet buy an apple tv is bc it lacks amazon prime content...would really like to see this happen
    Do you not own an ipad or iphone? Airplay for Prime movies works very well. Have tried this? With the available content ( Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo )  and the ability to airplay all of my own movies and shows, as well as Amazon Prime movies (although I use Prime more for the shipping )  is worth the purchase IMHO.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    gremlin said:
    I get Amazon Video as part of my Prime membership, which I get half price as a student.  AV is hopelessly difficult to discover film or TV, and they discreetly hide inclusive paid content with the free so you could end up paying to watch something.  Turning off the paid content only lasts for that session (on my TV), so the next time you turn on the TV it reappears again.

Netflix has Amazon beat on this so I'm not missing the app for my apple TV and the sooner Apple buys Netflix the better!

... though I am looking forward to TopGear II on Amazon, but I assume they will promote that within the app, so I'll not have to go searching! :)
    Is it really that hard to notice the "Prime" banner that goes across the thumbnail of every video that is included with Prime?
    singularity
  • Reply 32 of 100
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    mike1 said:
    gremlin said:
    I get Amazon Video as part of my Prime membership, which I get half price as a student.  AV is hopelessly difficult to discover film or TV, and they discreetly hide inclusive paid content with the free so you could end up paying to watch something.  Turning off the paid content only lasts for that session (on my TV), so the next time you turn on the TV it reappears again.

Netflix has Amazon beat on this so I'm not missing the app for my apple TV and the sooner Apple buys Netflix the better!

... though I am looking forward to TopGear II on Amazon, but I assume they will promote that within the app, so I'll not have to go searching! :)
    Is it really that hard to notice the "Prime" banner that goes across the thumbnail of every video that is included with Prime?
    Not at all, for most!  But if you're just browsing through and find something you fancy watching it, more times than not, has a price. 
  • Reply 33 of 100
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This is a shortsighted decision to compete with Apple in the hardware space.  The Apple TV is not even a major part of Apple's business (at least the hardware sales), so that seems silly to me.  These services and software companies who try to compete with Apple in hardware almost always fail.  We saw it with Microsoft primarily, but now with Amazon and to a lesser extent, Google too.  
    monstrosity
  • Reply 34 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    FWIW I noticed from reading the original news that Bezos talked about both Apple TV and Chromecast, neither of which they sell anymore since neither offers Amazon Prime Video. Apparently both companies refuse to offer terms attractive to Amazon, indicating to me that it is all about the 30% cut both would presumably take from any purchases originating from Apple or Google's store. Now it makes sense. 

edited June 2016 mike1
  • Reply 35 of 100
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    post removed...wrong forum :( 
    edited June 2016 ai46
  • Reply 36 of 100
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    The Amazon video app for iOS is acceptable.  That"s about all.  The app they provide for "smart" TVs is total crap.  If and when they offer an app for my Apple TV, I hope they've asked someone at Apple to provide a few hints on look and feel.
    ai46
  • Reply 37 of 100
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:
    Something doesn't make sense I agree. I have TIVO service and I guess Amazon was able to work out acceptable business terms with them since it offers Amazon Prime Video. I also have Roku and Amazon worked out terms with them too since it offers Prime Video. That tells me there's something different with Apple and it's terms but no idea what it would be. 
    Apple, Amazon, and Google compete on media downloads/rentals; that's why AppleTV and Chromecast aren't supported by Prime nor sold in the Amazon store. Their isn't any reason that Amazon couldn't have an AppleTV app merely for those wanting to watch free Prime media, but then Amazon would give up downloads/rentals or pay the 30%. Bezos wants a better deal, but I'm not seeing what's in it for Apple to make that happen. Apple seems to be more favorable to content creators like HBO, who are rumored to have a 15% transaction fee and only if the subscription is purchased through the iTunes Store.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 38 of 100
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    jcs2305 said:
    schlack said:
    work on this apple, only reason i will not yet buy an apple tv is bc it lacks amazon prime content...would really like to see this happen
    Do you not own an ipad or iphone? Airplay for Prime movies works very well. Have tried this? With the available content ( Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo )  and the ability to airplay all of my own movies and shows, as well as Amazon Prime movies (although I use Prime more for the shipping )  is worth the purchase IMHO.
    Like I already stated. I can stream all those apps straight from my new SmartTV and do all the rest from everything else. All my content is reached within a few clicks. 
  • Reply 39 of 100
    dhawkins541dhawkins541 Posts: 107member
    koop said:
    Roku seems to be cutting better deals since they have no ulterior motives as a small company. Until this changes, Apple TV isn't the future of TV anymore than Roku is the future of TV and Roku seems to have the edge so far.

Pay $50 for the Roku stick, get everything, or pay $140 for an Apple TV and get some things. 

Guessing your everything doesn't include discovery go or proper access to the new starz ott service either. All set top streamers come with some compromises and you almost have to have a couple different ones to get every possible app or channel you could want to view or play. 
  • Reply 40 of 100
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Something doesn't make sense I agree. I have TIVO service and I guess Amazon was able to work out acceptable business terms with them since it offers Amazon Prime Video. I also have Roku and Amazon worked out terms with them too since it offers Prime Video. That tells me there's something different with Apple and it's terms but no idea what it would be. 
    Apple, Amazon, and Google compete on media downloads/rentals; that's why AppleTV and Chromecast aren't supported by Prime nor sold in the Amazon store. Their isn't any reason that Amazon couldn't have an AppleTV app merely for those wanting to watch free Prime media, but then Amazon would give up downloads/rentals or pay the 30%. Bezos wants a better deal, but I'm not seeing what's in it for Apple to make that happen. Apple seems to be more favorable to content creators like HBO, who are rumored to have a 15% transaction fee and only if the subscription is purchased through the iTunes Store.
    So basically both Amazon and Apple are keeping the Prime app off Apple TV for financial reasons.
    singularitymike1