Apple moving to 3-year 'major' iPhone cycle, adding complex vibrations to 2017 model - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    In a tech industry that is lightning fast moving and highly competitive.. Good luck with that 3 year cycle Apple.. Hope you survive it.
    I agree. Three years is an awfully long time to incorporate major changes. This isn't 2007 anymore.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bluefire1 said:
    major changes
    A fucking case redesign. That’s it. That’s all we’re discussing. If you wanted to whine about major changes, whine about the falloff in YoY performance increases.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    bluefire1 said:
    In a tech industry that is lightning fast moving and highly competitive.. Good luck with that 3 year cycle Apple.. Hope you survive it.
    I agree. Three years is an awfully long time to incorporate major changes. This isn't 2007 anymore.
    Why do you want the tech industry to turn into the fashion industry?

3 years is fine if there are no immediate pressing reasons to institute a change.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 64 of 69
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Nikkei? Seriously those morons?

Just crap. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 65 of 69
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It makes senses in a number of ways. But first and foremost, this is about design. It doesn't mean you dont get a new iPhone every year, instead you have two iteration before a new design. If you are familiar with Intel CPU, that is Skylake, KabbyLake and 19nm Cannonlake.

Which other industry do you see NEW design every 2 years? You see iteration of the current design only.

https://blog.bolt.io/no-you-cant-manufacture-that-like-apple-does-93bea02a3bbf

And if you think about product development cycle

https://blog.bolt.io/demystifying-hardware-jargon-9d7a0cda9b55#.q6wkip2rb

While the wait for a new iPhone design is LONG, 2 Years is VERY SHORT in new product design that is shipped . The amount of complexity involves.  Especially when you have an item that needs to scale manufacturing like iPhone.

There previously another rumour that Tim Cook had global sourcing and supply chain expert joining in design discussion with Johnny's team. I guess it would be a unpleasant time when every design if being limited by manufacturing prospective. 3 Years would give them to iron things out.

edited June 2016
  • Reply 66 of 69
    lkrupp said:
    Nonsense. As one pundit summed it up, what’s left to do in the smartphone arena? What hardware features would truly be game changers? What else besides better batteries,  better glass, better antennas, better water resistance? Because that’s ALL we’re seeing right now from manufacturers. Samsung puts out a “new” model every six months and its sales are slumping along with everyone else’s. 

“Complex vibrations?” Pfffftttttt! People already look like weirdos talking to their invisible friend on their Bluetooth headsets. AI? “Siri, how do I wipe my ass with only one sheet of toilet paper?”

What else to be done? FLIR cameras, night vision camera, terahertz scanner, weather sensors, medical sensors....hella shit.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    appleemplappleempl Posts: 75member
    Until Apple announces anything I don't believe it, with the exception of photos of the new iPhone just prior to the announcement. I like the current cycle because it allows upgraders to jump in at different points getting a new design every two years. But on the other hand I find the iPhone to last and handle new iOS upgrades pretty well for years beyond a two year cycle, better than I can say for the Macintosh although the Mac is on much longer cycles. My 6 will last me for years to come if I should decide to enjoy it for that long. What's funny is ever since the glass back iPhones, and maybe before that, everybody keeps them cased up for the most part, you don't really see the exterior design much. I've taken my 6 out if its case maybe five times in two years, and only for a few minutes. I'm retired so I use the iPhone lightly but I rely on Siri, apps like financial apps and music apps, Apple Pay and the camera, I use safari too of course and it's great, can't say that on Mac OS however. 
  • Reply 68 of 69
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 810member
    I think Apple wants to save R&D costs along with new manufacturing parts costs!  Apple will step the sales promotion budget and sell iPhones with promotions and maybe new colors, making the product look new!  Smart decision on Apple's part!  Car models now have gone from 4 years to now 7 with refreshes every 3-4 years time frames.