Both 'iPhone 7' and 'iPhone 7 Plus' will come in 256GB capacities - report

Posted:
in iPhone
This year's iPhone upgrades will be more spacious than ever, according to a new report, which claims Apple is "certain" to increase the maximum storage size to a whopping 256 gigabytes.

Research firm TrendForce reported on Wednesday that Apple has "settled on most of the specs for the next iPhone." Most of the details they shared have already been reported, including 3 gigabytes of RAM exclusive to the larger 5.5-inch "iPhone 7 Plus."

But the report did reveal that Apple apparently plans to offer a new, high-end 256-gigabyte capacity for this year's iPhone upgrade. In addition, the 256-gigabyte option will reportedly be available for both the "iPhone 7" and the larger Plus variant.

While TrendForce believes the 256-gigabyte option is a certainty, the rest of the capacity options may not yet be finalized. Wednesday's report indicated that Apple is still unsure whether to discontinue the 64-gigabyte capacity and replace it with the 128-gigabyte version. Currently, the iPhone lineup maxes out at 128 gigabytes.

The decisions have apparently been helped by a steep drop in the price of NAND flash since the second half of 2015.

Separately, IHS analyst Kevin Wang posted on Sina Weibo this week, claiming that the new entry-level capacity for the "iPhone 7" will be 32 gigabytes, ditching the 16-gigabyte storage level. However, the fact that Wang posted his scoop on social media, and did not publish it in an IHS report, makes the claims more suspect.

TrendForce, meanwhile, made no mention of the entry-level model's capacity.

It did, however, reaffirm that only the 5.5-inch "iPhone 7 Plus" will gain Apple's new dual-lens camera design. That's consistent with earlier reports suggesting the smaller 4.7-inch model will retain a single-lens camera.

Aside from those changes, the research firm expects that the "iPhone 7" series will look largely identical to its predecessors, the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6. Most notably, Apple is expected to stick with the same LCD panel technology this year, before upgrading to an OLED display in 2017.

Given the lack of a major external redesign, TrendForce believes iPhone production for 2016 will reach 216.5 million units. If accurate, that would be an 8.2 percent decrease from 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    32 > 128 > 256 would be awesome. But Phil Schiller loves upselling so I'm sure there's a catch somewhere. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Plenty of headroom on my 128, I imagine you'd need to be an HD video fanatic to come close to filling 256.
    cornchiptzterriargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    32 > 128 > 256 would be awesome. But Phil Schiller loves upselling so I'm sure there's a catch somewhere. 
    Considering how its gone with the Ipad Pros, this is a distinct possibility. But, we'll see.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

I don’t know anyone with a 16GB iPhone that uses it beyond the basics that doesn’t have to manage space by deleting things all the time. I tell people: buy the 32GB model if you are going to use it for more than just stock apps. Those deciding to ignore that advice to save a bit of cash always regret it, and complain about having to pick and chose apps or music or pictures. It’s time Apple ditch the 16GB models since iOS and its bundled apps use up about half the space on the devices. They probably should have done this when they released the 6 and kept the same price points, especially considering NAND memory is now <$25 per 64GB for consumer flash memory cards. At large volumes, Apple probably saves less than $10 using 16GB instead of 32GB NAND.

But Apple has no real impetus to push the envelope as long as all their competitors are struggling to keep up with iOS device performance, timely upgrades & device compatibility. To me it’s a squandered opportunity, but while it might be “money saving,” Apple really doesn’t need to save money more than they need to lead in minimum storage capacity.

edited June 2016 zoetmbcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    32 - $650
    64 - $700
    128 - $800
    256 - $900
    $949, if you are lucky.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    crowley said:
    Plenty of headroom on my 128, I imagine you'd need to be an HD video fanatic to come close to filling 256.

Not necessarily. After a few hours of HD video and photos (~10GB), adding a few thousand tracks at lossless audio fidelity (~60GB) & a good collection of 500MB–2GB games (~35GB) fills up 128GB easily. My iPad Air 128GB without everything I could load that’s not video takes up most of the room (7.8GB free).

I might not load as much video on my iPhone, but my iPod classic has over 150GB of music compressed to 256AAC on it. I’d like to place my entire music collection (ripped from CD & purchased lossless) on a small form factor device, but that would be over 750GB.

I realize I’m not a typical user, but there are a decent number of us out there.

xiamenbillbestkeptsecretargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 38
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    Welcome to 2012.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    tapetape Posts: 47member
    crowley said:
    I know plenty of people that couldn't fit their music libraries in 256 GB.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Interesting. If true and if the rumour about the Smart Connector on the phone is also true, then this is very interesting, it could signal the Apple version of Continuum is here, which is actually a really cool feature, but done Apple-style. This is where we really start to use our phones as proper computers that can connect to monitors and other external peripherals on a desktop. In that situation, 256GB would be quite useful.
    patchythepirateargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 38
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Welcome to 2012.
    Which smartphone did you purchase in 2012 with 256GB of storage?
    nolamacguytallest skil
  • Reply 11 of 38
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Perhaps not.  At this point, with 4K video recording, higher resolution photos, live photos, bigger apps, etc - they may be able to continue to do a reasonable up-sell with a 32GB base model, if the next model up for $100 is 128GB.  If so, expect Phil to really sell the need for the higher capacities highlighting all these great video and photo features.

32GB as base model is something that would prompt many to upgrade from their old phones to the iPhone 7 series as well.

My iPhone is via work, and they do not offer us the choice to purchase a higher capacity (even with own money), so I certainly hope for a base model storage bump.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    tape said:
    crowley said:
    I know plenty of people that couldn't fit their music libraries in 256 GB.
    My 64GB 6 has been more than sufficient. Don't need my entire music library with me at all times. A few select playlists that I can alter if necessary. Out of my 200+GB collection, about 8-9GB winds up on my phone at any given time. On the rare occasions I do shoot video and want to keep it, I offload it ASAP. Same with photos that are keepers.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    brucemc said:
    Welcome to 2012.
    Which smartphone did you purchase in 2012 with 256GB of storage?
    None but that wasn't what I was referring to. I was talking about Apple finally realizing that in 2016 their stance on 16gb being "good enough" is asinine what with photos getting larger in size and Apple's inability to get cloud sevices.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Iphone SE to stay at 16GB and 64GB and larger iPhones 7 and 7 Plus move to 32GB,64GB,128GB and 256GB. Stop selling iphone 5s/5.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    But, but, but ... There's no reason to offer 32GB base storage, 16GB is plenty for most people ... The 16GB models are flying off the shelves ..."

Where are all of these Apple appologists now?
    lord amhrancnocbuijackansi
  • Reply 16 of 38
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I never thought I'd fill 128GB, especially with iCloud Photo Library and iTunes Match enabled, but I managed it! I'd definitely be interested in a 256GB version.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 17 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    brucemc said:

Perhaps not.  At this point, with 4K video recording, higher resolution photos, live photos, bigger apps, etc - they may be able to continue to do a reasonable up-sell with a 32GB base model, if the next model up for $100 is 128GB.  If so, expect Phil to really sell the need for the higher capacities highlighting all these great video and photo features.

32GB as base model is something that would prompt many to upgrade from their old phones to the iPhone 7 series as well.

My iPhone is via work, and they do not offer us the choice to purchase a higher capacity (even with own money), so I certainly hope for a base model storage bump.
    Yep it's entirely possible this move, if true, is to spur sales.
    jackansi
  • Reply 18 of 38
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    brucemc said:

There's nothing wrong with upselling more memory.   What people resent is getting ripped off for that memory which Apple does not only in the phones, but in the computer line as well.  It's especially offensive because most of Apple's computers no longer permit the end-user to upgrade memory.   Apple charges $200 to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB on a MBP.    Considering that there are clone laptops where the entire computer can be purchased for $300-$400, that's offensive (IMO).

As for the iPhone, Apple should definitely no longer be selling iPhones with only 16GB.  If you use the phone for almost anything Apple suggests, you can't.    

icoco3jackansi
  • Reply 19 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    noivad said:

I don’t know anyone with a 16GB iPhone that uses it beyond the basics that doesn’t have to manage space by deleting things all the time. I tell people: buy the 32GB model if you are going to use it for more than just stock apps.

Well you don't know me.  I have a 16GB model with all my data stored in the cloud.  I've have roughly 2 GB free space 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 38
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I can just imagine when I am at my granddaughters high school graduation in 15 years, where she is asking me how did you ever survive with only 16GB. She will be wondering since her device has 256PB and still runs out of space by storing to many 3D holograms and that holodeck app is a real memory hog.
    mike1icoco3