Indian government publicly rejects Apple's desire to sell used iPhones

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    I think Apple should pull the plug on their development center they committed in Banglore and Hyderabad. They should take their business somewhere else. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 42 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    I think Apple should pull the plug on their development center they committed in Banglore and Hyderabad. They should take their business somewhere else. 
    They won't because it's business. They aren't there as a favor to Indian consumers, they're after the profits from selling there. It's about the money not hurt feelings.
    edited May 2016 anantksundaramanton zuykov
  • Reply 43 of 51
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    gatorguy said:
    They won't because it's business. They aren't there as a favor to Indian consumers, they're after the profits from selling there. It's about the money not hurt feelings.
    Apple is there for Indian consumers. Pulling the plug is give Indian government a message. Government is very interested in job creation. Matter of fact these are some high paying jobs. In future there will be more manufacturing jobs too!
  • Reply 44 of 51
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    tommikele said:
    And if the Americans had any backbone they would go tit for tat on this. I'm quite sure they can find something India exports to the USA to slap some nice big tariffs on.

You are talking as if America loves Apple!
  • Reply 45 of 51
    I wonder if apple were to buy-out an existing indian company, would that get around the rule?
  • Reply 46 of 51
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member
    Why do you think India has such a huge brain drain the the US? Because there are far greater opportunities here--companies can invest without the fear that the government with come after them with a grudge.
    You are right. With like 90% of my friends 'brain drained' to the USA, I feel it is just the pull of more money. But in terms of setting up business themselves, many of these Indians dont have the guts to set up business in India or USA or elsewhere. They are mostly conditioned to just be good workers, not employers.

If public outlook towards business can be improved, Indians could start more businesses here in India, which can offer more and better jobs. The startup culture that has been growing in recent years surely is a step in the right direction.

Ultimately I would like to see Indians no longer emigrating to the USA or elsewhere out of need for better paying jobs. Even with so many of them running away, I think the country is developing well. With them sticking here, I guess it would be a lot better for the country. And one less reason for Americans to cry about losing their jobs, which I do believe is legitimate. And the Indian software industry can really kick off and create core software industries in India, giving European and American companies a tough competition.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 47 of 51
    adm1 said:
    I wonder if apple were to buy-out an existing indian company, would that get around the rule?
    No, Apple could not buy an existing Indian company—well, they could, but then it would no longer be an Indian company, it would be a subsidiary of Apple, an American company. Apple could possibly develop a partnership with an Indian company, but India's restrictions would still apply. The only way Apple could get around the Indian government's restrictions would be to move their headquarters to India and become an Indian company. And they're not likely to do that just to sell 10 million iPhones a year.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 48 of 51
    It's no surprise that the Indian government would reject Apple's campaign to sell used/refurbished iPhones here. Indians are very status-conscious—especially the middle class and the wealthy. They only want the best and the newest stuff, and balk at the thought of buying "used crap". Even if they're fully certified and warrantied. You can't show off to/be better than your friends and neighbors if you're saving money on a used iPhone rather than showing how much you can spend on a shiny new iPhone. I just had lunch at a friend of a friend's house, and he had about a half-million $$$ worth of exotic cars parked out front, which I'm sure he rarely drove. And the guests were casually talking about how many Ferrari's they had, like I talk about how many books I have (and I have to budget how many books I can afford to buy). It was surreal. But I digress.

The point is, Indians like to show off their wealth, power and status, and used iPhones don't help them do that.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    That would not be wise. India is an emerging market, with a potential customer base in the tens of millions. Development centers (maybe dedicated data centers in the future?) would build a solid foundation for a substantial presence in India, and dedicated Apple Stores will raise Apple's image and profile here. The reason Apple has not done well in India thus far is because India has always been in the second or third tier of product releases. If Apple released products and services in India at the same time they released them in the US or Europe, then Indians (particularly wealthy and middle-class) would watch Apple events with the same interest (fervor?) as Apple fans in the US. And they would wait in line at Indian Apple Stores to be the first among their friends and families to own the latest iPhone or whatever.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    sree said:
    Take for example, the spouse's of H1-B visa holders in the US not being allowed to work anywhere.
    The reason for that is that, only husband has H1-B and not his wife. I understand your sentiment, but it is akin to arguing, why can't you go to a different country without permission (visa) granted first. It is hardly a stupid rule, unless you want  to get desperately to the US. If it worked, the way you wished, US population today would have been half indian/half Chinese. That is simple means of protecting employment of those who got education from the US and stay in the US, as opposed to just coming to the US without that aforementioned US education. 
    And yes, this comes from F-1 ex-student with his wife who is not being able to work. Yes, it is inconvenient but I see the reason why it is done.

On the other hand, that 30% indian rule is just a job security for Indian economy, since those already manufactured cellphones elsewhere do not destroy or take away existing opportunity from Indian economy, but instead, creating a new opportunity.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 51 of 51
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    tommikele said:
    And if the Americans had any backbone they would go tit for tat on this. I'm quite sure they can find something India exports to the USA to slap some nice big tariffs on.
    Uhhh... call centers and stuffing agencies, being two such things. Given how well-spread they are, I would assume, that would be a good slap.