• Reply 41 of 56
    SEngineerSEngineer Posts: 16member
    Microwhat?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    SEngineer said:
    Microwhat?
    Sorry ...  Until it wakes up you can't read the info on that ...
    edited June 2016 SEngineerwilliamlondonai46
  • Reply 43 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    foggyhill said:
    macxpress said:
    As a technician, if you can't reproduce the issue then to me its not an issue. I can't make up the issue you've explained and then try to resolve it. How would I know its resolved? Of course I'll try everything I can to reproduce the issue, but if I can't then what would you want me to do, replace your Mac? Its no different than taking your car into the dealership for a noise while turning and they can't make the noise come back so they send it back to you. 

I've never had any issues with getting power cords replaced. Its always been replaced for safety reasons. 
    Come on! if you can't reproduce the issue  it's not an issue? Really?
    Some issues are very hard to reproduce and then are a bitch when they occur.

For example, we had a disk issue on HDD disks that occurred on certain precise disk operations after being up for some time
     that then catastrophically failed the disks (many others simply started to work much slower).
    You could get most data out if you took the disk apart but for most people it would be considered a right off.

It occurred in about 1% of the disks after on average running 3-4 months non stop (maybe 3-4% had a less severe significant slowdown).
    That's the kind of problem that's a bitch to find and to fix.
    Eventually, when we found out the numbers, we had to swap out all the disks and send them back.
     (we were volume buyers so we had some clout to do so).

Yes, these kind of problems are the kind that drive both Apple and the customers mad and are a fodder for endless online whining.
    Most people don't have them (like many bugs we hear about online).

If I (or another tech) can't reproduce the issue then what do you want me to do? There's no issue to resolve at that point as you look at it. Simple as that! Its not like you try for 2 minutes and then throw your hands up in the air and give up. You can't just make up an issue because a customer says there's something wrong with the hard drive (or whatever part). I totally understand its frustrating...I've been through it myself but I get it on their end as well. 
  • Reply 44 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

You'd never expect me to say this, Bill Gates hater that I am ... but I have had endless fun with Windows 10 running on my new Mac Pro for Steam games.  I've never had it fail to wake on my set up. Using 10 I had to learn my way around its oddities for sure like making a short cut of an app to access advanced settings to allow administration privileges etc..  However, once I did it has run flawlessly with Steam.  I made several SSD with Windows 10 on just incase I hit a snag and make sure they are in sync.  One thing that after 30 years roughly, Microsoft still do things like allow essential modal dialog boxes to be hidden behind other windows, or open multiple iterations of anything if you click twice.  Macs never did either from 1984 onwards and there are so many small things like that that make me laugh.  That all said, I'm off back to reboot into Windows and play Just Cause 3 ;)  BTW AMD have now released Crimson drivers especially for Macs running Windows, including Catalyst for dual GPU use in games that support this.
    After you turn off the spyware, I don't mind Windows 10 either and actually prefer it to any other version of Windows. I think they've done a nice job with the look and feel of it. 
  • Reply 45 of 56
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I've never had any problems with my pro 3, aside from it getting a little heated at times. if I can find the money I'll probably look into getting the pro 4

also, I can't recall if this was a remark made by a commenter or the original article, but I just wanted to mention that to my knowledge Microsoft has never pitted the surface against the ipad. it's always been in competition with the MacBook air (which ive been led to believe will soon become obsolete, to be replaced by the MacBook I suppose)
  • Reply 46 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Not sure why anyone finds this to be a surprise. MS is the worlds worse when it comes to making hardware and software. They have not idea what they are doing and they assume they can fix any hardware issue with software.

For anyone who thinks the Blue Screen of Death is not an issue anymore, think again, they never really fixed the issue, they hid the issue, well more correctly they just found a way to allow the computer to gracefully managed its way around the real issue. It call poor memory management, today if you even happen to have an application open and running  and you get the message "program not responding" this is the modern day version of Blue Screen of Death. I see this all the time, some time the app comes back to life with in a 30 seconds or so, other times it takes minutes and worse case it never comes back and you have to force quit the app. But you think everything is fine and reopen the app and you're off and running again. If you do not restart the computer after this happen it will keep happing until eventually the computer will lock up. I do not care how much memory you have I got 16GB on my work computer and I still get these message especially working in excel with lots of data and equations.

I never understood why companies put up with the crap from MS, it cost them so much time and resources.

williamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 56
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I know someone who bought the surface instead of the iPad Pro (because it was more 'compatible').
    The issue surfaced the first day, had to do a hard reset to get it running again.
    'Never trust a Trust' comes to mind.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    why- said:
    I've never had any problems with my pro 3, aside from it getting a little heated at times. if I can find the money I'll probably look into getting the pro 4

also, I can't recall if this was a remark made by a commenter or the original article, but I just wanted to mention that to my knowledge Microsoft has never pitted the surface against the ipad. it's always been in competition with the MacBook air (which ive been led to believe will soon become obsolete, to be replaced by the MacBook I suppose)
    They've actually pitted it against the Ipad this Winter, not sure I've got the courage to Google to find the ads though. The ads were completely ridiculous in their assertions about the Ipad and the worth of the Surface 4.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    why- said:

They have compared the Surface Pro to the MacBook Air (similar class processor) and the Surface Book to the 13" MacBook Pro. The Surface Pro is also advertised as the tablet that can replace a laptop.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    This is what I tried to explain in a thread like 6 months ago. Apple has 30 years+ experience in designing HARDWARE married with SOFTWARE (OS), where as Microsoft has 30 years of SOFTWARE (OS) with about 10-15 years of HARDWARE experience (xbox kinda counts). This is FREAKING A HUGE DIFFERENCE! and the other Computer Manufacturers have about 30 years of HARDWARE experience and about 0 years of OS SOFTWARE experience. This is so going to matter as we trudge forward into the future with constantly having to update software all the time and make sure it's reliable. Like the Jim Morrison said, the WAR IS OVER! been over...
  • Reply 51 of 56
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    i also have issues with MS 7 installed on bootcamp on my13" MBP.  When in Windows the computer sleeps very poorly.  I think it must be a family trait.  When I mention it to my office manager I get blank stares.  I think Window users just assume that awakening from sleep is not a guaranteed event.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Same shit happened to my Dell Hybrid Win10 laptop: Sleep and Never Wake Up even the keyboard lights up but screen was just dead.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:

You'd never expect me to say this, Bill Gates hater that I am ... but I have had endless fun with Windows 10 running on my new Mac Pro for Steam games.  I've never had it fail to wake on my set up. Using 10 I had to learn my way around its oddities for sure like making a short cut of an app to access advanced settings to allow administration privileges etc..  However, once I did it has run flawlessly with Steam.  I made several SSD with Windows 10 on just incase I hit a snag and make sure they are in sync.  One thing that after 30 years roughly, Microsoft still do things like allow essential modal dialog boxes to be hidden behind other windows, or open multiple iterations of anything if you click twice.  Macs never did either from 1984 onwards and there are so many small things like that that make me laugh.  That all said, I'm off back to reboot into Windows and play Just Cause 3  BTW AMD have now released Crimson drivers especially for Macs running Windows, including Catalyst for dual GPU use in games that support this.
    After you turn off the spyware, I don't mind Windows 10 either and actually prefer it to any other version of Windows. I think they've done a nice job with the look and feel of it. 
    I agree, it's almost like OS X in many ways.  BTW I don't use anything  anti virus etc. stuff on 10 at all, I just update the inbuilt malware detection Microsoft provide.  Not had any issues yet, but  I am only running Steam for games.  The secret I think is I only use iCloud for mail, I only visit  a few web sites I know are safe and most of all I download absolutely anything I need for Windows on my Mac (e.g. a few utilities such as unzip and AMD drivers), unzip on the Mac and then move to the Windows SSD from the Finder putting in my PC/user/ Desktop.  This avoids all tricks and attempts (and they are endless) of crapware and malware downloads to the PC.  

You can't normally write to a Windows PC NTFS drive from a Mac but a very inexpensive utility from Paragon called NTFS for Mac (or words to that effect) allows this. I set up all my Windows drives content from the Mac, such as dragging all the Steam content from one PC drive to another etc. all from the Mac Finder by having two PC drives mounted on my Mac's desktop.  I cannot imagine trying to run Widows on a PC without being able to administer it from the Mac lol.  I always laugh at how on a PC the 'expert install' that is always  'not recommended' is 99% of the time just, 'install what you want only'.  The 'non-expert install' installs twenty crapware apps.  Even the installation of Windows 10 itself is the same.  I only ever use the 'expert install' (tiny letters on the link that is almost hidden on left side) allows you to turn off about 10 defaults that sell your soul to Microsoft.  It is the antithesis of the Apple philosophy.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 54 of 56
    I recently bought a second hand Lenovo Yoga S1. Yes I know, second hand but it was in great condition. The problem I quickly found was that there was that 60% of the time when I open the lid and do something with the mouse or keyboard it wouldn't wake up. 

I think its an OS issue. Its too widespread. 
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Ok, now all hardware can have issues. Apple is not safe from this. For me, the buggie here is how the manufacturer is dealing with this. From my personal experience I can only say that the few occasions I was in touch with Apple service each time it was more than helpful in that they were a) friendly b) professional (eg when they did not have an answer right away they'd immediately escalate p and then is get a call back) and c) resolved my issue each time in a satisfactory manner. 

So kudos here again for Apple's service. 

Oh, and yes, a few weeks ago I was in touch with MS service. One word: abysmal. 
    Didn't Apple sell some Mac laptops ages ago that GPU died or something and tried to deny it? Don't Apple deliberately design their hardware to fail if a 3rd party repairer tries to fix it? 

I definitely think MS should own up to the Book. They are starting to turn into Apple with their anti-consumer crap but Apple can have all the geniuses and ultra large stores. It doesn't change the fact that they build hardware to fail and stop you from going anywhere else to get it fixed. 
  • Reply 56 of 56
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    mac'em x said:
    Did the article say something factually untrue about its subject? If so, what? And if not, then what is this "denigrate" you speak of?

P.S. "Mac's"?
    You might want to look up the definition of "denigrate" before attempting to call out the misuse of the word. "Denigrate" doesn't refer to something being false. It's about saying something with the intention to disparage. So while yes, everything was factual, it's presented here with the intent to show how shitty the Surface tablet (Microsoft in general) is.
    We all know what "denigrate" means; good of you to look it up and join in.

I repeat: If the article's claims are factually true, then there's no denigration, disparagement, defamation, deprecation, or derision going on. Just a reporting of facts.