iCloud Music Library outage triggers error messages, disappearing libraries for Apple Music users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2016
A component of Apple Music, iCloud Music Library, was hit with extended downtime on Wednesday, causing numerous problems for people trying to play songs and albums.

Many people using iTunes are running into repeated "Unable to connect to iCloud Music Library" messages during playback, complaints on Twitter suggest. On iOS, the Music app is prompting some listeners to sign up for Apple Music even if they already have a subscription or previously declined.

Perhaps the most serious trouble is that some people are seeing their libraries disappear, although it's not yet clear if anyone has lost music permanently. Indeed Apple's official online system status tracker claims no ongoing issues whatsoever.

iCloud Music Library has often been one of the most problematic aspects of Apple Music. Immediately after the service launched in 2015, people began complaining about iCloud Music Library deleting and renaming content.

Right when I need to drive work from my thoughts by means of loud music: "Unable to connect to iCloud Music Library." Fie! A pox upon Apple!

-- Mark Hodder (@MarkHodderBooks)

@b3ll I've been having problems with iCloud Music Library all day. So I guess I'm not the only one?

-- Keeton Feavel (@Auxel_)

@rectangular Mine gone too and getting the error 'Unable to connect to iCloud Music Library'

-- Liam McNally (@MrMcNally)

When it works, the feature is intended to enable offline caching of music and/or remote streaming of an uploaded iTunes library. Leaving it toggled off creates a comparatively crippled experience.

Apple has not come forth with an official response to the situation, although customers have contacted the company's support staff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    ICML really has to die, or at least be made an option...for those unaware, you cannot save Apple Music streams for offline listening UNLESS you enable ICML, which means EVERYTHING you own now must be synced up to the cloud and then streamed back to yourself. Painfully idiotic from a cost and availability perspective.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    God I hate iCloud Music library. I've ripped several songs/concerts from Mixcloud and I can't get them on my phone. Either it's too long (over 2 hours) or iTunes tells me it's not eligible for ICML (but doesn't explain why). So annoying.
    lord amhran
  • Reply 3 of 24
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Glad I never enabled ICML. My 19GB music library stays on my iPhone and if I want to listen to something fresh, I fire up Pandora. 
    napoleon_phoneaparttokyojimu
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Even more something like Mail, Apple uses the cloud as a transit hub - but your mail resides on your local device. With ICML, it doesn't, unless you manually select music to download - which in reality is impossible to manage and requires a level of clairvoyance that even Houdini did not possess (ie, what do you want to listen to during that future moment when ICML access is unavailable...?)
  • Reply 5 of 24
    My problem is the music and movies on my iPhone now has to be F*$¥ING wiped so I can reinstall the same library that I have on my MBP. And I'm not, nor ever been, or ever will be a Apple Music subscriber.  I've worked too bloody long and hard, and spent a boatload of money for all of my media to be wiped from my computer or phone.  Might look into getting a samscum phone and installing Linux on it.  Might be safer that way...
    cnocbui
  • Reply 6 of 24
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    iCloud has been banned from my devices afrer incorrect identification for messaging (SMS is not iCloud so send it to correct phone number - not random Apple devices that are carried by different family members). Since Apple does not seem to get concept of identification (what's personal/private and what's not) I logged out from iCloud long time ago and asked them to wipe out all their settings for me. This only proves that I did right thing. Right now I skip that nagging me to login to iCloud services every time I have iOS upgrade, but on day it forces me, I am dumping iPhone and goping Android with all its (Android) problems. At least I hope is not so aggressive system as iOS and Apple with limping cloud solution yet trying to impose model of use on world). I have large library of converted music and videos and i am not asking Apple to store them for me. I have quite large and very reliable servers at home that I could run my own cloud services.
    asdasdcnocbui
  • Reply 7 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Cloud whatever? No, thanks! Nothing like in-site storage with backups, of course.
    napoleon_phoneapartcnocbui
  • Reply 8 of 24
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    iCloud has been banned from my devices afrer incorrect identification for messaging (SMS is not iCloud so send it to correct phone number - not random Apple devices that are carried by different family members). Since Apple does not seem to get concept of identification (what's personal/private and what's not) I logged out from iCloud long time ago and asked them to wipe out all their settings for me. This only proves that I did right thing. Right now I skip that nagging me to login to iCloud services every time I have iOS upgrade, but on day it forces me, I am dumping iPhone and goping Android with all its (Android) problems. At least I hope is not so aggressive system as iOS and Apple with limping cloud solution yet trying to impose model of use on world). I have large library of converted music and videos and i am not asking Apple to store them for me. I have quite large and very reliable servers at home that I could run my own cloud services.

Bbbbbut its the future! /s

Im with you- maybe icloud as one part of a backup solution, but not main storage and then... stream it down when you need it... that's just crazy. I think Tim etc need to have the Steve Jobs experience--- go off on a retreat and drop some acid... clear their  heads to some  creative thinking

tokyojimu
  • Reply 9 of 24
    My library is small - only about 27,000 tracks at 150GB - but I have had no problems with ICML at all. Using iTunes Match and Apple Music, and so have a mix of different sources including concerts and my own originals. Everything syncs perfectly between 5 devices, whether the source is from Apple Music, iTunes Store, a recorded rehearsal or a ripped CD. I've had 2 instances of bad album artwork in a year, that's it. My spouse and grown daughters share a family plan with me, and so of course everyone has their own ID to keep things separate - and AM is working fine for them as well. I am their tech support, I should know. One does need to keep track of and staying logged in to iCloud, but that's pretty easy. It's working as advertised for some of us, at least.
    boopthesnootbadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Non-issue.  No software is perfect and Apple will fix things for the extremely small amount of people who are actually affected.
    nolamacguywelshdog
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Roughly how many is 'many'?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Of course your freaking music library will disappear if you can’t reach the cloud to stream it. How stupid do you have to be to not understand that?Rayz2016 said:

I’m guessing maybe three people at the most who then went ballistic on every blog they could find.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    boeyc15 said:

Bbbbbut its the future! /s

Im with you- maybe icloud as one part of a backup solution, but not main storage and then... stream it down when you need it... that's just crazy. I think Tim etc need to have the Steve Jobs experience--- go off on a retreat and drop some acid... clear their  heads to some  creative thinking

hate to break it to ya but Jobs was all about the cloud. even back in 1997 when he described the future. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I have no problems with ICML. all my music, all my devices. 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    My library is small - only about 27,000 tracks at 150GB - but I have had no problems with ICML at all. Using iTunes Match and Apple Music, and so have a mix of different sources including concerts and my own originals. Everything syncs perfectly between 5 devices, whether the source is from Apple Music, iTunes Store, a recorded rehearsal or a ripped CD. I've had 2 instances of bad album artwork in a year, that's it. My spouse and grown daughters share a family plan with me, and so of course everyone has their own ID to keep things separate - and AM is working fine for them as well. I am their tech support, I should know. One does need to keep track of and staying logged in to iCloud, but that's pretty easy. It's working as advertised for some of us, at least.

Times the cloud is likely/definitely useless...

o   on a bus

o   in a subway

o   on a train

o   in network congested areas

o   in a tunnel

o   in a large building

o   traveling abroad

o   in rural areas

o   on an airplane

o   etc., etc…

oh, and today, when there's a failure on the other end.

There's no NEED to make it required to use Apple Music offline...That's my only point. Let me sync my iPhone locally as always, save Apple Music offline to my devices, and that's it. If I want to use ICML as a redundant storage device, or for when I might want to stream off the web (if that were possible), great. Make it an OPTION.

edited June 2016 tokyojimu
  • Reply 16 of 24
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I never even tried Apple Music. When I realized that they we removing my abiity to have free Internet radio through iTunes I just didn't bother. I used radio all the time and now you can't get it unless you pay for Apple Music. So I now use Spotify, which is okay I guess, but I prefer using Apple apps etc. most of the time.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 17 of 24
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The threshold for Apple's doom. Whatever that number is.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    I just use Match. Works good enough to keep me connected to my 12K5 songs, and only $25/yr.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Either it's too long (over 2 hours) or iTunes tells me it's not eligible for ICML (but doesn't explain why).
    If a file's bit rate is less than 128 kbps it's ineligible — create an AAC version from iTunes > File > Create New Version and see if that uploads. Mine even uploads 128 kbps files that are longer than two hours.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Apple still dont get iCloud. Lets hope something will be announced in WWDC for improvement.