1Password Teams launches with introductory pricing after 7-month beta period

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
After seven months of beta testing, developer Agile Bits on Thursday released 1Password Teams, a subscription-based version of its popular multi-platform password and secure data management app designed to serve work groups.

Available for iOS, Mac and Android -- Windows support coming soon -- 1Password Teams allows users in an assigned team to share passwords, documents and data through backend app syncing. With strong encryption in place, the system is much more secure than sending passwords via email or message.

Like other team sharing services, 1Password provides granular control and monitoring tools for applying user permissions, enabling and disabling vault sharing, assigning roles and other administration functions. For example, a team admin might set a password vault to "Read-only" status or, in the case of highly sensitive website credentials, allow teammates to log in without revealing the password.

The Admin Console also has the power to restore access to specific users if they forget their master password. Agile Bits also incorporates its Watchtower service to send out alerts when security breaches for services or websites used by the team are discovered.

In addition to the usual password creation and syncing features offered with consumer versions of 1Password's app suite, 1Password Teams gives users 1GB or 5GB of secure storage, depending on subscription tier. An item history tool is also included for restoring errantly deleted items and passwords.

1Password Teams is available in two tiers. The annual Standard plan comes in at $3.99 per user per month ($4.99 if billed per month) and includes unlimited access to all 1Password desktop and mobile apps, 1GB of storage per person, a 30-day item history and more. A step-up Pro plan is normally priced at $11.99 when billed annually ($14.99 on a month-by-month basis) and includes 5GB of storage per person, unlimited item history and custom group creation. Custom roles and an activity log will be added soon to Pro level accounts.

Agile Bits is offering early adopters access to all Pro level features at Standard plan prices until June 31. Teams that subscribe before that date will lock in lower pricing, meaning new members added later pay $3.99 per month instead of $11.99 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I bought 1Password a while back and now I find it kinda redundant with Apple Keychain. I won't have any problems dropping it if they turn ransomware.
    VisualSeed
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    1Password has been invaluable for me, and 1Password for Teams/Families addresses a longstanding feature request for what amounts to group password sharing. Previously, if my wife and I shared a single site account (say, Amazon.com), the other would be effectively locked out when one of us changed the password. 1P Teams keeps everything updated across multiple users in real time but with lots of selective, fine-grained control over which passwords are shared with which users. And in my experience it's worked really well, even during the beta period.
    edited June 2016 dkirstein
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    eji said:
    1Password has been invaluable for me, and 1Password for Teams/Families addresses a longstanding feature request for what amounts to group password sharing. Previously, if my wife and I shared a single site account (say, Amazon.com), the other would be effectively locked out when one of us changed the password. 1P Teams keeps everything updated across multiple users in real time but with lots of selective, fine-grained control over which passwords are shared with which users. And in my experience it's worked really well, even during the beta period.
    Are you on Families or Teams?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I plan to do families later this year.   I use 1P to store not only logins but autofill CC info and store anything I want encrypted including software licenses.  It really has been a go to resource for my private data. As a bonus I won't have to worry about buying licenses.   This works for me. 

dkirstein
  • Reply 5 of 12
    profprof Posts: 84member
    The pricing is ridiculous. I'd be happy to pay a buck or two per user and month but 12 is just insane.
    apple tree
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I love 1Password...I use it easily on all of my Macs (Work/Personal). Its so handy and before someone says it (and someone ignorant will), NO its not the same as iCloud Keychain!!!

One thing of note for 1Password, if you want iCloud syncing you have to buy it off the Mac App Store. Otherwise, you're stuck with syncing with something like Dropbox which isn't as handy. I strongly recommend this for everyone. It can be a little confusing to get setup, but once you do it works like a charm across devices no matter what browser you're using.

I'm glad I bought this instead of "renting" it. I hate that what seems like every company is using this subscription model with software now. I DO NOT WANT TO RENT SOFTWARE!!! I want to buy it and own it! 
    edited June 2016 mwhiteapple treejony0
  • Reply 7 of 12
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    macxpress said:
    I love 1Password...I use it easily on all of my Macs (Work/Personal). Its so handy and before someone says it (and someone ignorant will), NO its not the same as iCloud Keychain!!!

One thing of note for 1Password, if you want iCloud syncing you have to buy it off the Mac App Store. Otherwise, you're stuck with syncing with something like Dropbox which isn't as handy. I strongly recommend this for everyone. It can be a little confusing to get setup, but once you do it works like a charm across devices no matter what browser you're using.

I'm glad I bought this instead of "renting" it. I hate that what seems like every company is using this subscription model with software now. I DO NOT WANT TO RENT SOFTWARE!!! I want to buy it and own it! 
    Generally true, but the app alone doesn't allow shared vaults for families or teams. That's what the subscription is for
    dkirstein
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jxpx777jxpx777 Posts: 2member
    Disclosure: I work for AgileBits, makers of 1Password.
    apple tree said:
    I bought 1Password a while back and now I find it kinda redundant with Apple Keychain. I won't have any problems dropping it if they turn ransomware.
    There's no plan to abandon selling 1Password licenses. This has been our bread and butter for a long time. But, Families/Teams makes possible features that previously weren't possible. For instance, it was previously possible to have multiple vaults and share them with other people, but it required sharing the master password for that vault. There was previously no way to limit capabilities of what someone could do with a vault such as read only vaults. With the service we've built, we're able to provide those additional features that we've wanted to create for a long time. That value comes with ongoing costs in servers, bandwidth, and the like, but we're thrilled to be able to provide these new capabilities that weren't possible to do well without the server side component. Beyond that, "ransomware" implies a kind of extortion wherein files are encrypted and the keys are held until a fee is paid. 1Password will never lock you out of your data, even if your subscription lapses. Your account just goes into a frozen state.
    prof said:
    The pricing is ridiculous. I'd be happy to pay a buck or two per user and month but 12 is just insane.
    Please note that this is the price for the Pro plan for 1Password Teams. I'm not sure what your situation is, but 1Password Families for family use is $5 for 5. And early adopters that create their Teams account before August get the Pro features for the price of the Standard plan. Having looked at the pricing for other business plans for services like Dropbox, Slack, and Evernote, we feel our pricing for Teams is very competitive.

macxpress said:

This used to be true, but it is no longer the case. You can read more about this on our blog and we even open sourced the library we created for interacting with CloudKit.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. We love hearing your thoughts.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    dkirsteinejijony0
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I finally decided to take the plunge and join the Appleinsider forums.  So, first time poster!

I wanted to say that though I am not a fan of subscription software it seems to be the current wave of licensing/access.  I will say this, I have been a user of 1Password for a number of years and it has always served me well.  I was a beta tester and early adopter of the current iPassword Family product and I have been very satisfied with their offering.  Once you have the backend configured (vaults, access, etc.) the rest is really pretty easy and interfaces with our browsers pretty seamlessly.  I do like the option to configure a mobile device by use of a camera scanning a QR code.  Other than supplying the master password, it completes the rest of the configuration. 

From a man in his mid-forties I have a bit of a different perspective in that I am starting to think of my legacy for my family.  Of course I hope to live a long life, but you never know.  By offering this product, it is a tool that will allow my family to continue with life from a financial standpoint without the hurdles of having to locate information about log-ons, security questions, etc.  The bills won't stop coming and some accounts are setup for my email (notifications and alerts) and so on.  This program allows us to keep all access synchronized and accessible for both of us.

I know that there are a number of different products out that can do the same or possibly better at password management.  But 1Password works for our needs and they have earned my trust as far as allowing me to configure online security, securely to the best that I can control.  I only have to remember one well configured master password and then follow recommended practices to keep my information secure.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    Rayz2016 said:

Are you on Families or Teams?
    I started out on Teams because that was the only beta option but later migrated to Families without a hitch.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I have been using 1Password for over a year now. I am not a Family or Teams user. I love the app. I try to convince everyone I know to use it when I hear them complaining about password fatigue. It is a life saver in that I can have super long secure passwords for everything without the hassle of having to remember. Yes, I sound like an ad. But man I really do love this app. I use it to store all of my info. Credit cards, passports, etc.. 

I do detest software subscriptions. I confess I haven't investigated the Families or Teams options. Is the monthly fee for the software or for the use of syncing on Agile Bits' servers to sync? I mean can we choose to sync via our own servers or local network? I doubt it because that would cut into the revenue stream. So when Jamie Phelps says the fees are to cover the costs of servers and bandwidth, I have to take that with a grain of salt. I just hope that they do not start removing features from the standalone app in order to force users to the subscription service.

• Reply 12 of 12
    jxpx777jxpx777 Posts: 2member
    techno said:
    I have been using 1Password for over a year now. I am not a Family or Teams user. I love the app. I try to convince everyone I know to use it when I hear them complaining about password fatigue. It is a life saver in that I can have super long secure passwords for everything without the hassle of having to remember. Yes, I sound like an ad. But man I really do love this app. I use it to store all of my info. Credit cards, passports, etc.. 
    This is great to hear. I'll be sure to share with the rest of the team.
    I do detest software subscriptions. I confess I haven't investigated the Families or Teams options. Is the monthly fee for the software or for the use of syncing on Agile Bits' servers to sync? I mean can we choose to sync via our own servers or local network? I doubt it because that would cut into the revenue stream. So when Jamie Phelps says the fees are to cover the costs of servers and bandwidth, I have to take that with a grain of salt. I just hope that they do not start removing features from the standalone app in order to force users to the subscription service.
    If you're a Teams or Families user, the apps are included in the subscription price. If we have a paid upgrade, that's included. You're not required to purchase the app and the service separately. If you purchase the software from our store or from the Mac App Store, you can sync using iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi. The choice is yours. As for features, if the standalone app can do them then it will. There's already a lot of complexity to manage in 1Password without artificially creating more. But if there are features that can only be done when there is some centralized control, then those would be limited to 1Password accounts. The ACL/permissions and account recovery features of the current offering are good examples of things that require the server component in order to be possible. I hope that makes sense.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    edited June 2016