Face palm, pregnant woman among 72 new emoji coming with Unicode 9.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
The Unicode Consortium on Thursday announced and published samples of 72 new emoji characters set for release as part of Unicode 9.0 in June, including what is sure to be a crowd favorite: the cucumber.

Rendered in "Apple Style" -- glossy, with a mix of photorealistic and cartoon style imagery -- by Emojipedia, the new emoji feature future classics "Mother Christmas" and "Man in Tuxedo." Among the more contemporary offerings is "Selfie," a hand holding an iPhone which, if you look closely, is displaying the new "Face Palm" character.

Those looking forward to texting characters expressing their love of rifles and the modern pentathlon, both of which were initially planned for inclusion in Unicode 9.0, will have to wait a bit longer as those characters were removed in May.

Along with emoji, Unicode 9.0 will include 19 symbols used in Japanese TV broadcasting, as well as modern scripts like Adlam, Osage, and Newa, and historic scripts including Bhaiksuki, Marchen, and Tangut. Other backend changes and modifications are detailed in the consortium's latest release notes.

The Unicode Standard version 9.0 specification is pending with an expected final publication date coming on June 21.

Apple is traditionally one of the first manufacturers to incorporate Unicode's latest emoji library in public release. Last year Apple introduced Unicode 8.0 emoji support in the first iOS 9 point update in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    Finally getting the "Fingers Crossed" Emoji. I can't believe it's taken this long for that to be included.
    moreckcornchippatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    FacePalm!

YES!!

lolliver said:
    Finally getting the "Fingers Crossed" Emoji. I can't believe it's taken this long for that to be included.
    They should really start getting rid of the ones that are least used. It's getting to be too much.
    morecklolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm not a big follower of what's happening in the emoji world, but does a male face palm already exist?

If not, then that's extremely sexist, and it disturbs me greatly. It's also probably racist too, that goes without even saying. Can anybody help me find a safe space? I have been triggered.

Also, the timing of that big Ape emoji is quite a coincidence, given that a certain Ape that looks a lot like the emoji was all over the news recently, having been shot and killed, caused ironically by horrible human parenting. 
    edited June 2016 cornchipmattinozmonstrosityurahararedraider11icoco3tallest skilpatchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Really hope Apple updates the emoji chooser in iOS10, hopefully to include text search.
    lolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    I remember clip art.  
    mike1diplication
  • Reply 6 of 24
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I actually find the use of emoji annoying. A smiley face or basic emoji is fine, but when a friend sends me a string of stupid images such hamburgers and cocktail drinks, I secretly want to punch them.
    edited June 2016 uraharaGeorgeKaplandiplicationdoozydozentallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Since about a quarter of the images listed are related to the Olympics, I would expect these to find their way to an iOS release in the next month or two. 
  • Reply 8 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    I actually find the use of emoji annoying. A smiley face or basic emoji is fine, but when a friend sends me a string of stupid images such hamburgers and cocktail drinks, I secretly want to punch them.
    Human communication is quickly moving back to the era of cave painting.
    irwinmauricemaciekskontaktmonstrosityroakestanthemantallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    This stuff is for children and "kidults" why are you people interested or apparently excited about these things? 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 10 of 24

My most common reply in that situation is "WTF are you talking about?"  Then I punch them.
    monstrosity
  • Reply 11 of 24
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    That is so important to real users world. You know what's gonna happen if man sees emoji with pregnant woman, don't you? I am going to be missing emoji with erection and middle finger. Where are those?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    spice-boy said:
    This stuff is for children and "kidults" why are you people interested or apparently excited about these things? 
    How did you even find your way in here??
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 24
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member
    That is so important to real users world. You know what's gonna happen if man sees emoji with pregnant woman, don't you? I am going to be missing emoji with erection and middle finger. Where are those?
    Did you not see the pickle?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

apple ][ said:
    I'm not a big follower of what's happening in the emoji world, but does a male face palm already exist?

If not, then that's extremely sexist, and it disturbs me greatly. It's also probably racist too, that goes without even saying. Can anybody help me find a safe space? I have been triggered.
    You are assuming way too much.  I did not see any genitalia on the face palm emoji.  Probably just a transgendered face palm.
    /s
    roaketallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 24
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    Did you not see the pickle?
    Nope. I honestly do not care so perhaps I missed that one or I do not speak this symbol lingo.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member

My most common reply in that situation is "WTF are you talking about?"  Then I punch them.
    Human communication is moving back to lack of communication. "Four legs good, two legs bad" ... repeat until fade.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    The Japanese were fine with what they had for almost 20 years. Some yellow smiley faces, simple icons and various types of sushi. Americans get involved and suddenly what worked so well for their culture is now racist and discriminatory. Now we have redheads and tacos and I assume world peace is on the way
    tallest skil
  • Reply 18 of 24
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The Japanese were fine with what they had for almost 20 years. Some yellow smiley faces, simple icons and various types of sushi. Americans get involved and suddenly what worked so well for their culture is now racist and discriminatory. Now we have redheads and tacos and I assume world peace is on the way
    Poor Harambe.   :(  We need a stupid parent emoji.
    edited June 2016 VisualSeed
  • Reply 19 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think they need to hire John Kricfalusi to come up with some variations on the fart emoji.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    a hand holding an iPhone which, if you look closely, is displaying the new "Face Palm" character.
    Emoji-ception