Apple supplier Broadcom forecasts sales surge in preparation for upcoming 'iPhone 7' launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Wireless chip supplier Broadcom is anticipating revenues in the current quarter to rise over 20 percent sequentially as the firm prepares for the launch of Apple's next-generation iPhone models, the company's CEO revealed late on Thursday.

"It's largely the certain North American company that's driving the bulk of the growth," Hock Tan said during a conference call overheard by Bloomberg. "It's the beginning of the ramp for their next-generation phone."

Broadcom's wireless revenues are expected to increase in the "mid-20 percent" range in a quarter ending July 31, Tan said. Apple's primary manufacturing partner -- Foxconn -- accounts for over 10 percent of all Broadcom sales.

The forecast suggests that Apple is indeed preparing to launch new iPhones in its usual September window, calling on suppliers to deliver parts in time for assembly. It may also hint that the company is expecting normal demand levels, at least in terms of the initial launch.

Reports have indicated that the base-level "iPhone 7" will be a relatively modest upgrade, although aside from the usual processor and camera sensor improvements it may also ditch a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, gain optical image stabilization, and offer a 256-gigabyte option. The default amount of storage could be raised to 32 gigabytes, reflecting the worsening limitations of 16 gigabytes on modern smartphones. Many competing phones are already using 32 gigabytes by default.

"Plus" models of the phone are predicted to include a dual-lens camera and a Smart Connector, helping to differentiate them beyond simply having a larger 5.5-inch screen. The new camera technology may require 3 gigabytes of RAM as well, instead of a standard 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    smaceslinsmaceslin Posts: 85member
    Maybe time to upgrade my aging iPhone 5s this year...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    It should be noted that classic Avago is "substantially increasing" RF content, and classic Broadcom is also increasing wireless content in this "North American handset". Thus, the expected 20% sequential jump in revenue doesn't necessarily translate into Apple growing its shipments, and of course, it also has to be weighed against the downturn it is being compared to.
    ksec
  • Reply 3 of 15
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    wish they wouldn't make the gigantic phone with premium features. i what those features in a 4" screen.
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 15
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    schlack said:
    wish they wouldn't make the gigantic phone with premium features. i what those features in a 4" screen.
    The Plus is NOT gigantic. It's just the right size. Can't wait to get my 7 Plus!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I bet the camera is going to be amazing in the 7 series.  I just read Ken Rockwell's amazing review of the 6s (and Ken isn't exactly known for not calling it like it is and will slam anything given half a chance  lol).  The camera rating was phenomenal (this is in the world of Canon and Nikon, too) but the audio was truly staggering.  None of it is subjective either, Ken actually uses test equipment and measures this stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    schlack said:
    The Plus is NOT gigantic. It's just the right size. Can't wait to get my 7 Plus!
    Clearly there are differing opinions out there. I too would like to see them offer the fully-loaded feature/performance set in all three screen sizes unless there was a space-specific reason not to offer it. They can offer a less expensive version too, but recognize that many people still want the most current technology in a smaller package.
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I bet the camera is going to be amazing in the 7 series.  I just read Ken Rockwell's amazing review of the 6s (and Ken isn't exactly known for not calling it like it is and will slam anything given half a chance  lol).  The camera rating was phenomenal (this is in the world of Canon and Nikon, too) but the audio was truly staggering.  None of it is subjective either, Ken actually uses test equipment and measures this stuff.
    I read Rockwell's reviews too but IMO it's not unusual for it to look as tho he's set his opinion first then picks the facts that support it. Example: Would you say that RAW is a waste of time and effort, just shoot JPG's? I wouldn't and I'll guess you wouldn't either but that what Ken Rockwell believes, and supported by supposed facts:
    "Raw is a waste of time and space, and doesn’t look any better than JPG even when you can open the files."

He doesn't seem to have a great reputation or garner all that much respect on prosumer oriented photography forums when his name comes up. Doesn't make him wrong of course but I don't think his opinion is any more valid than a whole lot of others. 
    mike1baconstang
  • Reply 8 of 15
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    gatorguy said:
    I read Rockwell's reviews too but IMO it's not unusual for it to look as tho he's set his opinion first then picks the facts that support it. Example: Would you say that RAW is a waste of time and effort, just shoot JPG's? I wouldn't and I'll guess you wouldn't either but that what Ken Rockwell believes, and supported by supposed facts:
    "Raw is a waste of time and space, and doesn’t look any better than JPG even when you can open the files."

He doesn't seem to have a great reputation or garner all that much respect on prosumer oriented photography forums when his name comes up. Doesn't make him wrong of course but I don't think his opinion is any more valid than a whole lot of others. 
    RAW is a waste of time unless you are doing some serious editing of the photos, and he's right that it doesn't look any better than jpg on a regular computer screen.  For 99% of people, just using the jpg will be more than they will ever need.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 15
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    goofy1958 said:
    gatorguy said:

RAW is a waste of time unless you are doing some serious editing of the photos, and he's right that it doesn't look any better than jpg on a regular computer screen.  For 99% of people, just using the jpg will be more than they will ever need.
    Define serious editing? All too often I find cameras to compress shadows and highlights way beyond what I would like which is recoverable with RAW. I'd hardly call that serious.
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    staticx57 said:
    goofy1958 said:
    gatorguy said:

Define serious editing? All too often I find cameras to compress shadows and highlights way beyond what I would like which is recoverable with RAW. I'd hardly call that serious.
    I almost never rely on JPG unless it's for social postings with my camera phone. Otherwise I shoot only RAW or depending on the subject/intent RAW+JPG where browsing those JPG's is a quick and dirty way to find the worthy RAW pictures. Probably 90% of my shots aren't worth keeping anyway, either misframed, misfocused, boring or some combination of all three. For that good one out of ten (if I'm lucky) out-of-the-camera JPG's don't let them really shine as they deserve. 

When you realize how much better your images can be with 2 minutes, Nik or Lightroom and a RAW file you might find you won't waste your time shooting JPG either for anything that maters
    edited June 2016 staticx57baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 15
    But, but, but, but the sales of iPhone 7 are suppose to drop???? I don't get it. /s
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    jonl said:
    It should be noted that classic Avago is "substantially increasing" RF content, and classic Broadcom is also increasing wireless content in this "North American handset". Thus, the expected 20% sequential jump in revenue doesn't necessarily translate into Apple growing its shipments, and of course, it also has to be weighed against the downturn it is being compared to.
    I was going to say the samething. But Broadcom will be quitting WiFi tech soon.... which is rather sad.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ksec said:
    jonl said:
    I was going to say the samething. But Broadcom will be quitting WiFi tech soon.... which is rather sad.
    They sold their wireless IoT business to Cypress, but I haven't heard they're getting out of WiFi.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    jonl said:
    ksec said:
    They sold their wireless IoT business to Cypress, but I haven't heard they're getting out of WiFi.

http://www.cypress.com/news/cypress-acquire-broadcom-s-wireless-internet-things-business-0

Under the terms of the deal, Cypress will acquire Broadcom's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Zigbee IoT product lines and intellectual property, along with its WICED brand and developer ecosystem.

And I expect this will be the final iPhone with Broadcom WiFi, Apple will likely have their own WiFI / Bluetooth Hardware stack next year. ( Not sure about 4G yet, since it is extremely complex )
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ksec said:
    jonl said:

http://www.cypress.com/news/cypress-acquire-broadcom-s-wireless-internet-things-business-0

Under the terms of the deal, Cypress will acquire Broadcom's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Zigbee IoT product lines and intellectual property, along with its WICED brand and developer ecosystem.

And I expect this will be the final iPhone with Broadcom WiFi, Apple will likely have their own WiFI / Bluetooth Hardware stack next year. ( Not sure about 4G yet, since it is extremely complex )
    Dude, you bolded the wrong thing. As I told you, it is only the IoT business that was sold. The headline of the article you cited couldn't have been clearer, "Cypress to Acquire Broadcom’s Wireless Internet of Things Business". The very first sentence of the article reiterates the point, "Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (Nasdaq: CY) and Broadcom Limited (Nasdaq: AVGO) today announced the signing of a definitive agreement under which Cypress will acquire Broadcom’s Wireless Internet of Things (IoT) business and related assets in an all-cash transaction valued at $550 million." I can only wish $CY bought their entire wireless business for half a billion. lol

If you read the article a little further, you would have found, "Under the terms of the deal, Broadcom will continue to focus on its wireless connectivity solutions for the access and mobility segments that are not IoT related, including serving set-top box, wireless access, smartphone, laptop and notebook customers. Cypress will capitalize on the rapidly growing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity (17% per year1) markets in consumer, industrial and automotive IoT segments."