Official WWDC app gains dark UI, Apple TV support ahead of June 13 keynote kickoff

Posted:
in General Discussion
The official WWDC app was updated on Friday with a new dark user interface, universal app support for tvOS, live streaming on iOS and tvOS, and support for multitasking on iOS 9 on iPad.

The WWDC app is a free download compatible with iOS, tvOS and Apple Watch. It requires iOS 9.3 or later and is an 18.1-megabyte download.

Version 5.0 features a new dark user interface, a contrast from the white background featured in the 2015 edition of the app. The icon has also been updated to feature a white Apple logo on a dark background.

The update allows users of the new fourth-generation Apple TV to stream and download videos from WWDC 2016, as well as previous conferences.

Apple's annual developers conference will kick off on June 13 with a keynote presentation, where the company is widely expected to introduce iOS 10, as well as the next generations of Mac OS, tvOS, and watchOS. While Apple undoubtedly has surprises in store, it is not expected that the company will introduce new hardware at this year's event, keeping it a software-focused developer show.

The full list of features in the WWDC 2016 app update, according to Apple, are:

• Watch live streamed sessions on iOS and tvOS.
  • Stream or download WWDC videos from this year and previous years.
  • Start watching on one iOS device, and pick up where you left off on another iOS device or on the new Apple TV.
  • Browse times, locations, and descriptions for sessions, labs, and special events.
  • Mark schedule items as favorites.
  • Keep up with the latest news, get important notifications, and see new photos throughout each day.
  • View accessible maps to find your way around Moscone West.
  • Provide feedback on content and speakers for each session.
Add your pass to Wallet for faster check-in at WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Now that Apple has a dark theme AMOLED is now acceptable.
    macky the mackyksec
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Well..you know what they say.."Once you go black, you'll never go back."
  • Reply 3 of 19
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I get the feeling dark mode will be introduced with iOS 10. And next year we'll see OLED phones.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wish iOS and Mac OS would have true Dark Mode. I don't care if we have OLED phones or not. It sucks using something with a white UI in the middle of the night.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 19
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    The screen on my temporary Nokia Lumia 930 phone, that I gladly dumped for a iPhone 6s last week (phew!) was Oled and was one thing I really liked on this phone. Off topic, the pictures it took where also very good. 
  • Reply 6 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I get the feeling dark mode will be introduced with iOS 10. And next year we'll see OLED phones.
    IMHO the dark theme suggests OLED this year. It otherwise makes no sense for people to deplete their batteries faster with a dark UI on LCD so early in the iPhone product cycle.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Even without OLED, the dark UI looks quite nice on the smaller iPad Pro with its low-reflectance display.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 8 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    staticx57 said:
    Now that Apple has a dark theme AMOLED is now acceptable.
    You have that backward. And we know 2017 is the year also.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 9 of 19
    The best predictor of future behaviour is recent past behaviour. Wouldn't surprise me if they wait for 2017 to introduce both and keep dark theme exclusive to OLED models.
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 19
    OT feature request: I'd like to be able to view and control my Apple TV on my iPad, while in another room or even away from home. No need to turn on the TV.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cpsro said:
    Even without OLED, the dark UI looks quite nice on the small iPad Pro with its low-reflectance display.
    Oh you certainly don't need OLED for a dark theme, but in all honesty, and I get stick for pointing this out, the black levels (forget about specs; I'm talking purely from visual) on Apple's current various models of iPhones for example are not up to scratch for a dark them IMO. I'm not saying they won't or shouldn't add it to iOS 10, but I can easily see if they do not why they didn't.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ireland said:
    Oh you certainly don't need OLED for a dark theme
    The point which some here already know but which you seem unaware of is that (perhaps counterintuitively) dark imagery consumes more energy than light imagery when displayed on an LCD. Darkened pixels require active transistors in an LCD, and active transistors consume more energy. Inactive transistors yield white pixels with LCDs.
    edited June 2016 macky the mackyairbubble
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cpsro said:
    ireland said:
    Oh you certainly don't need OLED for a dark theme
    The point which some here already know but which you seem unaware of is that (perhaps counterintuitively) dark imagery consumes more energy than light imagery when displayed on an LCD.
    I don't believe that's true: http://www.blackle.com/about

But like I say, I wouldn't be surprised if a dark theme feature is for OLED iOS devices only.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 14 of 19
    ireland said:
    cpsro said:
    The point which some here already know but which you seem unaware of is that (perhaps counterintuitively) dark imagery consumes more energy than light imagery when displayed on an LCD.
    I don't believe that's true: http://www.blackle.com/about
    That ca. 2002 webpage--and the ca. 2001 research it cites--originates from the days when CRTs were prevalent and applies to CRTs. The cited research also states CRT energy use is affected more by the imagery displayed than the energy used by LCDs.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that we're going to see the introduction next week of an iPhone Pro with OLED panel and low-reflectance optical coating (and other updated specs), and that the 6s/6s+ may be unchanged for another year.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 16 of 19
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cpsro said:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that we're going to see the introduction next week of an iPhone Pro with OLED panel and low-reflectance optical coating (and other updated specs), and that the 6s/6s+ may be unchanged for another year.
    Good god I hope you're wrong. We don't need another iPhone model. Anyway Rene Ritchie tweeted something cryptic about expect WWDC to be software focused. I get the feeling a little birdie from Apple leaked that to him so as to temper expectations that we'll see all this new hardware at WWDC.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    cpsro said:
    Good god I hope you're wrong. We don't need another iPhone model. Anyway Rene Ritchie tweeted something cryptic about expect WWDC to be software focused. I get the feeling a little birdie from Apple leaked that to him so as to temper expectations that we'll see all this new hardware at WWDC.
    If there is no hardware  at WWDC I'd expect a Frontpage hardware release this week to build anticipation.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Dark UI is so pre Lisa.

cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    smalm said:
    Dark UI is so pre Lisa.

Only if the text is Green?

What strikes me as odd is the background colour isn't black but space grey (circa iPad Mini and iPhone4).
    It's a nice balance of dark but not black.