With Touch ID rumored for Apple's new MacBook Pros, PC makers prep trackpad fingerprint readers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2016
Apple is rumored to bring its Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the MacBook Pro later this year, but Windows PC makers could potentially beat it to the punch, thanks to new technology from Synaptics that's nearing release.

Secure logins via Touch ID are expected to be a major improvement to the MacBook Pro lineup, allegedly due for a hardware refresh later this year. If true, this would be the first non-iOS implementation of the biometric security system.

On iPhone and iPad, the Touch ID fingerprint scanner is embedded in the home button. It's unknown how Apple apparently plans to integrate Touch ID on the Mac, but a new method from Synaptics shows how it's possible to seamlessly integrate it into a notebook's trackpad.

Engadget got a sneak peek at Synaptics' special next-generation glass trackpad with fingerprint sensor, dubbed SecurePad, at Computex this week. IG Innotek is another company also working on similar technology.

In the Synaptics version, the fingerprint sensor sits underneath the glass layer, allowing the user to use the entire trackpad area for standard cursor and gesture controls. That's a change from its earlier iteration, which featured a separate fingerprint reader.

Synaptics trackpad fingerprint reader, via Engadget.

Godfrey Cheng, Synaptic's vice president of marketing, told Engadget he believes all laptops will feature fingerprint readers in some form within the next three years. The Synaptics solution was said to be responsive in hands-on tests, suggesting it could be made available to PC makers soon and launch in laptops this year.

Apple, meanwhile, is expected to launch its new Touch ID-enabled MacBook Pro in the fourth quarter of 2016. Whether or not Touch ID is embedded in Apple's all-glass Force Touch trackpad, or found elsewhere, remains to be seen.

The Cupertino, Calif., company is also rumored to be looking to include Touch ID in the touchscreen display of its 2017 iPhone revamp. Reports have suggested a radical redesign is in the works for next year, with an edge-to-edge display that would also hide the FaceTime camera and speaker within an advanced OLED screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    The sensor is only one part, you also need the Secure Enclave, and a solid OS. Most OEM's will fail the second part. 
    mike1wonkothesanemorecktallest skildoozydozenstevehradster360
  • Reply 2 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple is rumored to bring its Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the MacBook Pro later this year, but Windows PC makers could potentially beat it to the punch...
    And that’s bad for Apple because...
    mike1stevehnolamacguyigorsky
  • Reply 3 of 47
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,703member
    A fingerprint reading trackpad is lame. 

Just do the power button and be done with it. 

Easiest and most ergonomic placement. 
    jackansinathanimalanton zuykovbaconstangdoozydozenjony0badmonkSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    They "beat" Apple to the punch by mostly producing pure garbage fast.

mwhitemoreckanton zuykovbaconstangjony0nolamacguyigorsky
  • Reply 5 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple is rumored to bring its Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the MacBook Pro later this year, but Windows PC makers could potentially beat it to the punch...
    I've been waiting for years to buy an new Mac with fingerprint sensors, but now that Asus will have one two weeks sooner, I'll get that instead. /s
    Rayz2016ai46morecklostkiwi1983baconstangdoozydozenjony0jdgazsteveh
  • Reply 6 of 47
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I've been waiting for years to buy an new Mac with fingerprint sensors, but now that Asus will have one two weeks sooner, I'll get that instead. /s
    They've been in PCs for more than a decade. This is a slight modification in that it's under glass 
    jkichlinewilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 47
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member

I can't tell you the last time over used the power button on my MacBook pro. I can however tell you the last time I unlocked it.
    moreck
  • Reply 8 of 47
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    This headline makes it seem like there's some sort of correlation between the two
  • Reply 9 of 47
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    why- said:
    This headline makes it seem like there's some sort of correlation between the two
    Microsoft and Google design their products around rumors on sites like these. So yea, there is a correlation
    moreckanton zuykovigorsky
  • Reply 10 of 47
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    staticx57 said:

I can't tell you the last time over used the power button on my MacBook pro. I can however tell you the last time I unlocked it.
    Me too. also if it's used to authorize admin access for the OS and apple pay, I will want it near where I'm already resting my fingers.
    ai46moreckdoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 47
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    So will Apple start to roll out Touch ID in the cloud? They had a patent issued sometime ago for this whereby the hashed numerical representation of your fingerprint (that can't be reversed to actually produce your fingerprint) could be stored in the cloud, and devices could check your scanned print against this stored print to see if it's really you.

If you had an iPhone with Touch ID and then purchased another Touch ID device (MacBook or iPad), then you could simply get the hashed data from the cloud and load it onto your new device without having to learn your fingerprint(s) all over again. And if you added another finger to one device, it would then be available on all devices.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This SmartBar/MagicBar sounds interesting, but I cannot help think Touch ID across the whole trackpad is a better idea. Even if it costs more. Given they are about to make the entire F-row a display I don't think the idea of a full Touch ID trackpad is infeasible.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So will Apple start to roll out Touch ID in the cloud? They had a patent issued sometime ago for this whereby the hashed numerical representation of your fingerprint (that can't be reversed to actually produce your fingerprint) could be stored in the cloud, and devices could check your scanned print against this stored print to see if it's really you.

If you had an iPhone with Touch ID and then purchased another Touch ID device (MacBook or iPad), then you could simply get the hashed data from the cloud and load it onto your new device without having to learn your fingerprint(s) all over again. And if you added another finger to one device, it would then be available on all devices.
    I don't think Apple will risk having your fingerprint anywhere except a secure enclave. 
    fastasleep1983
  • Reply 14 of 47
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    The sensor is only one part, you also need the Secure Enclave, and a solid OS. Most OEM's will fail the second part. 
    My thoughts exactly. Can't wait to hear more about how non-Apple devices are handling fingerprint data poorly, creating additional risk factors for users in the name of convenience.
    igorsky
  • Reply 15 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    mike1 said:
    They've been in PCs for more than a decade. This is a slight modification in that it's under glass 
    And they've always been complete trash, which is why they were never used. The first mainstream biometric authentication system was Touch ID on the 5S.
    moreck1983slprescottbaconstangnolamacguylord amhranigorsky
  • Reply 16 of 47
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Funny that that's the new playbook. Wait around for rumors about Apple products and then rush out a product. 
    I'm sure there are 10 companies right now trying to figure out how/why to add an oled bar to their keyboards
    irelandmoreck1983baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 47
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Rayz2016 said:

I don't think Apple will risk having your fingerprint anywhere except a secure enclave. 
    I think the idea is that they could create a mathematical hash that would let them validate a fingerprint, but wouldn't actually *be* a fingerprint itself. Similar to storing a password hash. You know if the password is correct, but you don't know what the password is. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 18 of 47
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Last time I checked, no PC manufacturer even comes close to making a respectable trackpad. 

The industry as a whole is about 7 years behind Apple on trackpads. 
    moreckbaconstanganton zuykovstevehbadmonk
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    So maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think putting Touch ID on a MacBook is a dumb idea. The reason is that it is not a fluid experience. What if you don't use the laptop directly and instead plug into a monitor and external keyboard? Then you would need it in an external keyboard too. Or trackpad.

I think the better idea is to apply the inherit security of a personal device to a slightly less personal device. For instance.... If you have an Apple Watch on and get near your computer, it unlocks. When you walk away from your computer, it automatically locks again. The same can be done with an iPhone. Just have your unlocked phone near the device and login.

Now... couple this with the ability to wirelessly access information on the device securely and seamlessly... and you have a winner.
    edited June 2016 jacob1varghese1983ai46
  • Reply 20 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jkichline said:
    So maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think putting Touch ID on a MacBook is a dumb idea. The reason is that it is not a fluid experience. What if you don't use the laptop directly and instead plug into a monitor and external keyboard? Then you would need it in an external keyboard too. Or trackpad.

I think the better idea is to apply the inherit security of a personal device to a slightly less personal device. For instance.... If you have an Apple Watch on and get near your computer, it unlocks. When you walk away from your computer, it automatically locks again. The same can be done with an iPhone. Just have your unlocked phone near the device and login.

Now... couple this with the ability to wirelessly access information on the device securely and seamlessly... and you have a winner.

So if I don't own an Apple Watch or an iPhone or my iPhone is upstairs I get penalised and need to type my password? That's not good design. The side cases you mention will obviously be baked into the design. And remotely you can enter your password anyway.
    edited June 2016 moreck