Tony Fadell, "father of the iPod," steps down from CEO post at Google's Nest

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

That means nothing. Scott Forstall had an advisory role too. As did Fadell when it was announced he was leaving Apple. I doubt he's going to do much advising for Larry Page.
    Yeah ...  It's called a non-compete/non-disclosure clause in the termination settlement! It usually has a duration (in hi-tech) of 18-24 months -- where the the tech the "advisor" was involved with becomes obsolete.  Meanwhile, the "advisor" gets paid and is able to execute his vested stock options.

Sounds like a good deal...lol!
  • Reply 42 of 49
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    starwars said:
    wonder google has ever turned around a hardware company it acquired?
    Reminds me of Microsoft's track record on hardware acquisitions: it ends in tears and failed products. KIN ONE remember the name of any of those products?  ;)
    lolliver
  • Reply 43 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    welshdog said:
    lkrupp said:
    Google literally can do no wrong while Apple can do no right, even for its so-called supporters here on AI who constantly bitch and whine about what Apple does or doesn’t do. 
    So if you "support" Apple (whatever that means) you are not allowed to point out any of their failings? Sounds rather "Trumpish" to me. The real world works differently from high school pal, so being a "team supporter" at all costs is kind of a losing proposition.
    What's Trumpish is your fracking strawman and false equivalency; not to mention condescension.

That's a lot to put in  one sentence put you did it! Bravo (sic).
    edited June 2016 jbdragonlolliver
  • Reply 44 of 49
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    I am so happy that Fadell never came back to Apple. Good riddance.  Don't let the door hit you on the backside.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Google paid way to much for Nest.  Though I think Apple did also for beats.  At least beats makes money and brings in money every month.  You buy a Nest, you need to support them for their lifetime for free.  Servers and whatnot for them to connect to.

Besides the Ecobee 3 is the better device.  Nest spotlight is gone.
    lolliver
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Any time when one company acquires another company, they always eventually phase out the top-level executives from the bought-out company.  They want the company for the products and intellectual property, not the executives that were running it.  No surprise there.  However, my $50 programmable thermostat does just fine, and it never shuts down the HVAC.  But well done for creating a product that many find useful, and then selling the company for $3.2B.  I am sure we all wish we could invent a new product and have a big company buy it for billions.  If I was in his position, I would retire too and just be a consultant to various companies.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Let's be fair, Nest was not worthless when Google bought it, but it was worth at most $10 or $20 million. It was a hundred times overvalued, and judging by the current Nest product lineup it looks like they delivered jack shit in terms of ROI -- other than a few high profile egg-in-the-face issues such as the thermostat freezing following server issues or false alarms from the smoke detectors. Honestly, a massive embarrassment. Whomever decided to pay this much for it at Google needs their head examined.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Let's be fair, Nest was not worthless when Google bought it, but it was worth at most $10 or $20 million. It was a hundred times overvalued, and judging by the current Nest product lineup it looks like they delivered jack shit in terms of ROI -- other than a few high profile egg-in-the-face issues such as the thermostat freezing following server issues or false alarms from the smoke detectors. Honestly, a massive embarrassment. Whomever decided to pay this much for it at Google needs their head examined.

I don't think Nest was worth $3.2 billion but I don't think whoever decided to pay this much for it needs to have their head examined. Google got tons of mileage out of it in the media and those brownie points have helped Google's stock immensely. 
  • Reply 49 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Tony is the example of what Gates says about Steve Joes and those who want to model him. They all get the asshole part down but fail miserably at the Genius part.