T-Mobile entices subscribers with stock options, weekly prizes, free in-flight Wi-Fi

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
T-Mobile at its latest "Un-carrier" event on Monday announced a fresh set of incentives designed to woo subscribers, including a stock program for customers, weekly giveaways and free Gogo Wi-Fi service on domestic flights.

Announced by CEO John Legere in his usual over-the-top fashion, the new set of offers is part of continued efforts to boost customer churn from competing networks, while at the same time solidifying T-Mobile retention rates. As with past T-Mobile incentives, existing subscribers net the greatest rewards from today's "Un-carrier 11" promotions.

For example, the stock program, called Stock Up, provides T-Mobile postpaid customers a single share of the company's common stock. Subscribers can net an additional share -- up to 100 shares per year -- by referring a friend, while customers who have been with the network for five or more years get an additional two shares for each recommendation until 2017.

The stock program is run through T-Mobile's brokerage partner, Loyal3. Owners receive the first share free through the T-Mobile Tuesdays app and pay no maintenance fees as long as they're active customers.

Users of the T-Mobile Tuesday app can also redeem a pizza from Domino's, a Wendy's drink and a special gift each week. Prizes come from a variety of brand partners including American Giant, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cond? Nast, Fanatics, Fandango, Gilt, HotelTonight, JackThreads, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures, Lyft, Major League Baseball, MGM Resorts International, Samsung Electronics America, Inc., Shell, StubHub, The Clymb, The Grommet and Warner Brothers. This week's special gift is a movie from the VUDU movie rental service.

T-Mobile plans to vary prizes with new partners and each week award a major prize like a trip, private movie screening or sports event to a single customer drawn at random. Such prizes include stays in Las Vegas hotels, attendance at major league baseball all-star week in San Diego, a trip to the Peruvian ruins at Machu Picchu and a shopping spree in New York City.

Finally, T-Mobile is offering users an hour of free Wi-Fi access on Gogo-equipped domestic air flights in an expansion to the carrier's in-flight texting program. The initiative starts on June 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    "T-Mobile entices subscribers with stock options...

By David Silverberg"

Mr. Silverberg,

My understanding is that T-Mobile will be giving shares of stock to its subscribers, not stock options.

• Reply 2 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Clearly the best telecom CEO in the world.
    cornchiplatifbplibertyforall
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Damn I wish they had better coverage :-(
    mike1unbeliever2cornchipbdkennedy1002tyler82kiowavt
  • Reply 4 of 19
    blackfrogblackfrog Posts: 19member
    Left AT&T for T-Mobile in Jan, because time after time, since 1998, AT&T treated me badly. 

But now, despite living in T-Mobile's best coverage zone, calls break up, and sometime drop. 

Looking into alternatives now. Back to AT&T I suppose.

T-Mobile, you've got the right attitude, but without decent service, you've got nothing. 
    edited June 2016 dasanman69unbeliever2cornchiptyler82kiowavt
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Too bad T-Mobile's coverage is deteriorating here in NYC. A few dead spots on my commute where none existed in the past. Seriously have to consider AT&T this fall when I buy a new cell phone. (Still can't bring myself to use Verizon after sh!tty customer service several years ago. And I already suffered through extremely poor overall service with Sprint)
    tyler82kiowavt
  • Reply 6 of 19
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    blackfrog said:
    Left AT&T for T-Mobile in Jan, because time after time, since 1998, AT&T treated me badly. 

But now, despite living in T-Mobile's best coverage zone, calls break up, and sometime drop. 

Looking into alternatives now. Back to AT&T I suppose.

T-Mobile, you've got the right attitude, but without decent service, you've got nothing. 
    With all due respect, I live in Michigan. I've been with T-Mobile eight years. I've dropped calls maybe five times. Three of the times was because of a dead zone whereby ATT subscribers lost coverage.

Further, my coverage has improved over the last few years.

i know people have different experiences, but it is hard to believe you live in one of the better coverage areas and drop calls frequently when I hardly ever drop calls and don't live in one of the best coverage areas.

maybe it is the people you are talking to dropping calls.
    cornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I do get dropped calls with Tmobile and always in the same spots. Sadly my commute from work goes through mountain passes where every carrier drops but Tmobile drops a bit sooner. Likewise it seems they have a day a month where their whole network just doesn't do well.

That said the remainder of the time I get the best price, $138 for four smartphone lines with 10 gigs each plus Binge-on, international service, etc.

I'll take the trade-offs for now. This last Memorial Day weekend I was watching SlingTV on my phone and enjoying the Western Conference Finals all with no hit to my data cap.

I hope Tmobile will keep growing and improving. I'll suffer a few slings and arrows to have the reduced cost and the increased competition.
    montrosemacs
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I've tried them all. If you do any traveling at all from the city to the suburbs to the country, there's no choice but AT&T. I went back to AT&T 2 years ago and they have been polite and helpful. A big change for me from 6 years ago.
    kiowavt
  • Reply 9 of 19
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I admire their enthusiasm, but when it comes down to it, their reception just plain sucks. I live in Sacramento, a major metropolitan area, and I've driven miles and miles within city limits while having literally No Service on my iPhone 5s. I've been with them for years, I guess I stay cause $40/ month prepaid with unlimited and 3gb lte and free music streaming is the best deal out there, I just wish I could use it more than half the time.
    kiowavt
  • Reply 10 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I am with AT&T but have been with t-mobile. I thank t-mobile for starting $100 for 4 lines with unlimited text/call and limited data but no data overage charge. I hate data overage. With t-mobile, I accepted poor coverage(drop calls) during high call usage time of the day when everyone on road talking on phone we call work commute duration..But, now I think t-mobile prices for family plan have gone up while their service has got better but not to level as AT&T or Verizon.It's not just coverage but drop calls because network capacity is not sufficient to handle call volume during rush time.
    Besides that, you have to give some credit to T-mobile and it's CEO to keep pressure on AT&T and Verizon to keep them in track and not raise prices hurting customers on those carriers. Indirect benefits..
    edited June 2016 estebanlibertyforall
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mac44mac44 Posts: 1member
    CEO John Legere is a sleaze bag and T-Mobile has sleazy billing practices. I've been on a pay-as-you go plan at 10 cents a minute for over three years. When my balance got down to $4.95 T-Mobile sent me a text message saying that my balance was low and to add funds. I added $20 plus they added $2.95 sales taxes. However, my new rate switched to 23 cents a minute and I lost my $4.95 balance at 10 cents a minute. Talk about "bait and switch"! Mr Legere calls his company the (uncarrier). I call it UNSCRUPULOUS!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    Mac44- One post, huh? which one do you work for AT&T or Verizon?
    I'm not with TMobile currently, but it seems like they have the best deals for mobile consumers. Good for them, it seems to be working.
    edited June 2016 montrosemacs
  • Reply 13 of 19
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Damn I wish they had better coverage :-(
    Best coverage in the Boston area
  • Reply 14 of 19
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    Also ATT to t-mobile. I use my phone for work. Free data and text abroad, wi-fi calling, good plans and this, but I will be leaving. Same as above--horrible reception in major areas, dropped calls, I can hear the other person, they cannot hear me, zero coverage in too many areas. Plus their Portland Cascades Station folks promised lots and delivered little and late. Next iPhone and I am gone. If you need good clear calling and lots of reception nationwide, you should never switch to T-mobile. Ugh! Tune down the PR, John Legere, and tune in your USA program. Stock I do NOT want to own. The Un-Carrier indeed! It was cool until the joke was on me and not ATT. What's that old saying...if it sounds too good to be true...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tyler82 said:
    I admire their enthusiasm, but when it comes down to it, their reception just plain sucks. I live in Sacramento, a major metropolitan area, and I've driven miles and miles within city limits while having literally No Service on my iPhone 5s. I've been with them for years, I guess I stay cause $40/ month prepaid with unlimited and 3gb lte and free music streaming is the best deal out there, I just wish I could use it more than half the time.
    The 5S does not support band 12. This band is active throughout most of NorCal. An iPhone 6s/SE supports this band. I switched from a 5s and my coverage greatly improved. I live in Lincoln CA
  • Reply 16 of 19
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Very happy T-Mobile customer of 4 years. Was in NY and now Bay Area. Travel a lot, including international. Can't say enough good things. Best is a call to another LTE user on their network. Crystal clear audio quality.

worst reception I had was at home, so they gave me an LTE cell hotspot. Now it's perfect (and my neighbors benefit). 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    With all due respect, I live in Michigan. I've been with T-Mobile eight years. I've dropped calls maybe five times. Three of the times was because of a dead zone whereby ATT subscribers lost coverage.

Further, my coverage has improved over the last few years.

i know people have different experiences, but it is hard to believe you live in one of the better coverage areas and drop calls frequently when I hardly ever drop calls and don't live in one of the best coverage areas.

maybe it is the people you are talking to dropping calls. I have visited Michigan for work perhaps 6 weeks since getting on t-Mobile and already dropped more calls than you have. In populated areas where ATT used to work fine. I would love if it were that way for me, but not even close. Anywhere I travel. Except from Mexico actually. I wish. If that was on par w ATT, would not leave despite the con artist who served me in the store.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Really cool!  Too bad AT&T doesn't do anything like this!  

However, T-Mobile has horrible customer service, but I cannot say AT&T's is good either...  
  • Reply 19 of 19
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    DCJ0001 said:
    "T-Mobile entices subscribers with stock options...

By David Silverberg"

Mr. Silverberg,

My understanding is that T-Mobile will be giving shares of stock to its subscribers, not stock options.

Your point exactly is what?