Apple Music launches fashion channel curated by designer Alexander Wang

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Further blurring the line between technology and high fashion, Apple on Monday added the Apple Music Fashion channel to its streaming platform containing songs curated by noted designer -- and music aficionado -- Alexander Wang.

Split into three categories -- Chill, Hype and Vibe -- Wang's selections are an eclectic mix drawing from top-40 hits, R&B jams, new rap releases and more. As Vogue notes, Apple Music Fashion boasts a sampling of music one would expect to hear at one of Wang's fashion shows or afterparties which often find big name music acts in attendance.

In an interview with the publication, Wang explained the thought process that went into creating the channel.

"Chill is my go-to playlist when I get home, when I need to decompress, or when I'm having a night in," Wang said. "Hype -- those songs are mostly derived from playlists that I've played in a party bus or en route to a festival or going out. They are songs that kick up the energy. Vibe is more a playlist that's in between, with songs that have high energy and also are great classics. It's good for having people over, drinks; it's kind of pregame music."

Along with a prominent place in the Apple Editors Playlists section of Apple Music, Apple shot an ad for Wang's channel that was subsequently posted to the official Apple Music Twitter account earlier today.

Like other Editors playlists, Apple Music Fashion will be updated regularly in the coming weeks as Wang adds new cuts to his personal collection.

"Year-round I'm always trying to find music and define who the character that season is, thinking about the show, the energy, and the venue, so I start collecting a playlist throughout, using it like a memory bank for songs I like," he said.

Apple has built a close relationship with fashion industry players over the past few years. In 2013, the company supplied Burberry with pre-release iPhone 5s handsets to document a runway show in London. Shortly after the event, then-CEO Angela Ahrendts left Burberry to head up retail operations at tech giant. Burberry has since launched its own Apple Music channel to highlight content from the Burberry Acoustic project.

Apple pushed further into fashion when it debuted a special Apple Watch version with leather straps developed in collaboration with French fashion house Hermes last year. Once limited to package deals, the straps became available for purchase as individual accessories in April.

Apple more recently partnered with leather goods manufacturer Coach on a similar strap accessory initiative, the first products of which are expected to launch on Sunday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    My stomach hurts...
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Yes, mean old Apple pointing to a gun to your head, making you listen to the subscription radio channels! The nerve! Like me -- I'm ordered by Tim Cook personally to listen to Disney Princess Radio all day, every day! Argh! Oh wait ...
    irelandjony0ronniosenthusiastmessagepad2100
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Who cares? Seriously, please tell me Angela Ahrendts didn't receiver $170 Million to turn the effing platform into a new narcissistic lifestyles device.

If they are wasting time on curating music for your clothing choices they deserve to be mocked until they stop. This crap would have been laughed at by Steve. Worked for him twice and I know quite well this kind of s*** would have been shut down quickly.

You don't remove functionality that was free and replace it with ala carte entrees for every social club you can think of.
    bobschlobsingularitycnocbui
  • Reply 4 of 16
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So this is basically an Music curated playlist, of which there are many. Why is this newsworthy? Because it was curated by a fashion designer? Why does that matter. I highly doubt any Apple SVP is involved in curating playlists for Music.
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 16
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Who cares? This provides nothing to anyone.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    justme12justme12 Posts: 13member
    Whew - and here I was thinking Apple has lost its way. America you have a curated playlist from some fashion somebody on unusable Apple Music! Woo Hoo! Hey ask Siri who Alexander Wang is? Siri says - who? Well Siri would if it worked.
    edited June 2016 unbeliever2cnocbui
  • Reply 7 of 16
    chasm said:
    Yes, mean old Apple pointing to a gun to your head, making you listen to the subscription radio channels! The nerve! Like me -- I'm ordered by Tim Cook personally to listen to Disney Princess Radio all day, every day! Argh! Oh wait ...
    So you talk bulshi* sarcastic fantasy, while the rest of us talk about the value of what Apple is offering it's customers.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Remember when Apple didn't have to "try to be cool", because it already "just was"?
    Man, I miss that.
    singularity
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Who cares? Seriously, please tell me Angela Ahrendts didn't receiver $170 Million to turn the effing platform into a new narcissistic lifestyles device.
    No, I think she received $170million for managing the retail chain and opening 40 outlets in China in record time. 

If they are wasting time on curating music for your clothing choices they deserve to be mocked until they stop. 
    Wasting time? This probably took two phone calls and an email message: "Hey Alex, we've noticed that lot of music played at your shows gets downloaded by a lot of our dance music fans. Wondered if you'd let us have your playlist."

This crap would have been laughed at by Steve.
    rolls eyes

Worked for him twice and I know quite well this kind of s*** would have been shut down quickly

Really, you worked with him twice? Then perhaps you can explain why he didn't shut down the hockey puck mouse, the fat iPod, the iPod that had no controls and the G4 Cube before they saw the light of day. 

Perhaps you can explain how the polka-dot iMac happened on Steve's watch, as you "worked with him twice". 

lostkiwiiosenthusiastpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 16

So this is basically an Music curated playlist, of which there are many. Why is this newsworthy? Because it was curated by a fashion designer? Why does that matter. I highly doubt any Apple SVP is involved in curating playlists for Music.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was her idea. There will be other playlists from fashion designers coming down the line.
    lostkiwiiosenthusiast
  • Reply 11 of 16

bobschlob said:
    Remember when Apple didn't have to "try to be cool", because it already "just was"?
    Man, I miss that.
    Times change. Apple has too many customers to be cool, and whining about the past is counterproductive, that's why Steve wanted a CEO who looked forward, not back. 
    edited June 2016 lostkiwiiosenthusiast
  • Reply 12 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If he has good taste in music, great!
    lostkiwicaliiosenthusiastroundaboutnow
  • Reply 13 of 16
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Obviously a lot of the long time AI posters aren't fans of AppleMusic and especially of Beats 1.
    I however like both - and I would not have known about these playlists if it wasn't for AI - so thanks very much to the AI team for the info.  I have since downloaded the playlists and they are quite good, a mixture of familiar tracks and new songs that I have never heard before.

There are a lot of other curator playlists on AppleMusic that account for other tastes.  I enjoy dipping into a whole bunch of different genres and finding new music.
    But that is just me, I guess.

iosenthusiast
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Rayz2016 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was her idea. There will be other playlists from fashion designers coming down the line.
    Oh great, I can't wait.  This must be the next big thing - quick SOG, buy more shares.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think the currated playlists on Apple Music are high class. This one, not my taste. But that's the thing with currated playlists - to create different lists for different people. There are so many lists there, currated by DJ's, music lovers. I think this is what makes Apple Music so much better than the competition. This is serious stuff. I'm sure there are some glossy fashion lovers out there who will apprecite this too. Why wouldn't there be?
    iosenthusiastlostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Rayz2016 said:

bobschlob said:
    Man, I miss that.
    Times change. Apple has too many customers to be cool, and whining about the past is counterproductive, that's why Steve wanted a CEO who looked forward, not back. 
    So you are saying that "Apple actually isn't cool"? Or are you saying Apple isn't "trying to be cool"?
    edited June 2016