Samsung may launch two bendable smartphones with OLED screens in 2017

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung is considering announcing not one but two smartphones with bendable OLED screens as soon as early 2017, which could potentially be more radical designs than what's rumored for Apple's own OLED phones that year, a report said on Tuesday.

From a Samsung concept video.
From a Samsung concept video.

One of the two Samsung phones may fold in half, sources told Bloomberg. The second may have a 5-inch screen in normal use, but expand to a tablet-sized 8 inches.

Samsung's effort is codenamed "Project Valley," and one or both of the phones could be shown off at Mobile World Congress in February, one of the sources said. In any case, the company is not expected to launch the new phones under its flagship Galaxy S brand.

The Korean firm has a distinct advantage in the OLED space, as it's the world's biggest supplier of OLED panels, and has already shipped products with curved OLED screens, namely the Galaxy S6 Edge and S7 Edge. It has yet to ship a product with a bendable screen, although the company has previously teased the idea in concepts.

Reports have suggested that Samsung will be supplying OLED panels to Apple for 2017 iPhone models. Apple is expected to use a flexible, possibly edge-to-edge display technology, but not anything that would allow devices to bend or change size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    So Samsung just released a .... wait for it .... CONCEPT VIDEO!

WOW! Where do I sign up for it?
    jbdragondysamoriamonstrosityrogifan_newirelandnolamacguyjony0bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 2 of 66
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    Bendable displays will be useful, as they allow more interaction space. I think I'll wait for generation 2 however from a company other than Samsung.
    edited June 2016 jbdragoncaccamuccajony0
  • Reply 3 of 66
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    The big question is...

How many bends ddoes it take for the bit that bends to work harden and crack/split/just stop working

Will bring a whole new chapter to bendgate if they get it wrong.

rich gregorynetmagejbdragondysamoriaradarthekatcaccamuccamonstrosityanton zuykovjony0doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Who would care to advise... I can understand a curved screen in a static design, where the shape is fixed. When any material with thickness is bent however, the geometry at the bend site changes (smaller inner radius, larger outer radius). How then do the pixels of the screen cope with the changing radii, by changing shape? Also, are researchers confident that the substrate always stays within the plastic limit of the material being bent, thus preventing failure? Even the masters of bending plastic latches, Tupperware, gets that wrong (or perhaps right... by design).
    monstrositydoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 66
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Seems like Samsung has been working on this tech for a good while now.

Maybe its finally ripe enough for a complete fold without the glass. We've all seen their curved OLED displays for a few years now, but they all had glass.

From January 9, 2011:

• Reply 6 of 66
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Anyone who buys any gen 1 product from Samsung is a moron, no offense. Especially a gen 1 product that they haven't copied off of anyone yet.
    jbdragonmonstrositypatchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 66
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Because this is what the world is missing? Bendable phones?

No. Next gimmick please. 
    dysamoriapscooter63monstrositywebmongerpatchythepiratedoozydozenminicoffee
  • Reply 8 of 66
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    what will keep it from folding when you are using it opened? Will it have a hing that locks into position or will it look like a Salvador Dali painting? 
    dysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    TurboPGT said:

No. Next gimmick please. 
    I don't think it's a bad idea at all. But we're talking about a pretty big 180 degree bend right in the middle of the screen. I don't see it as being possible at this point in time, let alone hundreds of times of opening and closing it. Role up is just as bad and hard on the screen. Maybe in 20 years, not now or a few years form now. small bends and twists, sure, that's not much of a strain to these screens, but trying to bend it in half or role one up, there's no way.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    A bit stereotyping this video, isn't it?
  • Reply 11 of 66
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    igorsky said:
    Anyone who buys any gen 1 product from Samsung is a moron, no offense. 
    Intending offense is exactly the point of calling people names.

Saying "no offense" isn't a dismissal of responsibility after being offensive.
    singularityiqatedo[Deleted User]caccamuccatechloverpscooter63gatorguynapoleon_phoneapartlord amhranspice-boy
  • Reply 12 of 66
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    TurboPGT said:

No. Next gimmick please. 
    Bendable phones for the sake of bending don't make any sense.   But bendable phones that bend in one's pocket rather than crack or enable a larger display size in a smaller package make a lot of sense, aside from the fact that you'd have to open the phone each time, which is sort of a throwback to clamshell phones.  
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 13 of 66
    that video was from 2013 and nothing has appeared since then remotely close to that concept.

The trouble Apple has with using cutting edge tech like this (when available) is capacity. Take OLED screens for example, Apple is rumoured to shift to OLED next year which is what, 6 odd years after samsung used OLED in whatever galaxy phone it was. Until now, no-one has had the capabilities to knock out the millions of screens required to fill iphone orders. It's much easier for low volume products such as the GS7 or an LG phone to don fancy new tech.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    dysamoria said:
    igorsky said:
    Anyone who buys any gen 1 product from Samsung is a moron, no offense. 
    Intending offense is exactly the point of calling people names.

Saying "no offense" isn't a dismissal of responsibility after being offensive.
    Apologies for offending you.  I'll go sit in the corner.
    macxpresspatchythepiratenolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

It's not so easy folding things.  Just ask MSFT.  

edited June 2016 patchythepiratejbdragondoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    adm1 said:
    that video was from 2013 and nothing has appeared since then remotely close to that concept.

The trouble Apple has with using cutting edge tech like this (when available) is capacity. Take OLED screens for example, Apple is rumoured to shift to OLED next year which is what, 6 odd years after samsung used OLED in whatever galaxy phone it was. Until now, no-one has had the capabilities to knock out the millions of screens required to fill iphone orders. It's much easier for low volume products such as the GS7 or an LG phone to don fancy new tech.
    Much easier, and less risky.  Your point is one I've had in mind for a long time, but the analysts and pundits don't seem to grok.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    you all know this is not possible for the next 5 years!!!
  • Reply 18 of 66
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    adm1 said:

I take your point, but I think it was more to do with OLED not being ready for prime time. There were a few areas that LCD still had the edge over OLED until now, such as (from memory)  brightness , color, and lifespan.

I would guess lifespan was the main issue keeping Apple from using them. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 19 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The big question is...

How many bends ddoes it take for the bit that bends to work harden and crack/split/just stop working

Will bring a whole new chapter to bendgate if they get it wrong.

Exactly, yes bendable but at what costs. Also the electronics are not bendable. Their great idea is to take a phone as we know it today and turn it into a flip phone of prior years. As others pointed out, Apple has not used OLED displays for a number of reason which most tech geeks have no idea of the limiting factors which is keeping them from being used in mass. The technologies most likely has lots of down sides which has yet to be seen or fixed yet.

If you look at the other videos of Samsung showing off the bendable display they were careful about not letting people bend it and where it was bend it was in a control environment. This tell me it had issue if you bend it too much.

edited June 2016
  • Reply 20 of 66
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    TurboPGT said:

No. Next gimmick please. 
    I think the eventual use will be in a flip-phone like system where you have a regular phone, and then can flip it open for twice the display space. It's not the bending that is a feature, but the ability to unfold, without bezels, into more pixels and interaction space. That said, if it doesn't have touch interaction on the flipped out part, it won't be useful.
    williamlondon