Apple begins hiring for 'several' Mexican Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is ramping up hiring for "several" stores in Mexico, despite having yet to launch its first one in the country, according to job listings shared on Tuesday.

The company is now searching for people to fill positions at multiple undisclosed locations, the listings discovered by iphonedigital.es show. In January Apple confirmed work on a store in Mexico City's Santa Fe Mall, but said nothing on rumors about other cities.

At the time, Sopitas indicated that more shops are planned for Guadalajara and Monterrey. AppleInsider learned that Apple is hoping to build a second Mexico City store as a standalone location in a luxury shopping district, one that could be a flagship like Apple's recently-opened Union Square shop in San Francisco.

The Santa Fe Mall store is still unopened, and it's not clear when any of the other locations might arrive. Apple typically doesn't begin hiring until stores are several months out, which could mean that one or more outlets will be ready by the end of 2016, or possibly early 2017.

Apple is rumored to be preparing a bigger push into Latin America in general, with stores coming not just to Mexico but Argentina, Chile, and Peru. The company's only retail presence there so far is in Brazil.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I'm gonna build a wall around these Apple Stores Apple is building in Mexico to keep the locals out. And only rich tourists like me can get in. It's gonna be huuuuge. It's gonna be luxurious, believe me, just like the Apple Store itself.. And Mexicans will pay for it.
    edited June 2016 dasanman69trashman69messagepad2100welshdogMacProcnocbuicrowleyafrodripacificfilmminicoffee
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    How isn't there an Apple store in the fifth largest city in the world? 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    I wonder how many of the Latin American countries will follow India's precedent and impose 'locally sourced' requirements?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I wonder how many of the Latin American countries will follow India's precedent and impose 'locally sourced' requirements?
    Or perhaps then we should pull out all U.S. auto manufacturing out of Mexico then if they even try a stunt like that?
    apple ][
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    I think NAFTA would probably keep Mexico from doing that, at least.
    mike1afrodri
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Perhaps their emissaries kept disappearing.
    mike1
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Some already do, including the largest, Brazil. In the interest of creating low-paying assembly jobs, the force suppliers to import parts/kits and do final assembly there. The result is higher prices for consumers.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Latin America has lots of private Apple resellers. When Apple opens their own stores they will put them out of business just like they did in the US. In the US, Apple was accused of delaying product deliveries to the smaller third party stores and limiting which products they were allowed to sell. Eventually almost all of them went out of business.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Safety and corruption for two reasons. My company provides armed security from airport to hotel to office for all those unlucky enough to have to visit our facilities in Mexico City.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm gonna build a wall around these Apple Stores Apple is building in Mexico to keep the locals out. And only rich tourists like me can get in. It's gonna be huuuuge. It's gonna be luxurious, believe me, just like the Apple Store itself.. And Mexicans will pay for it.
    Haha. And any stores in the US run by "Mexicans" will be considered "Mexican Apple Stores".