Rumor: Supplier already shipping hinges for Apple's redesigned 13" MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Though new MacBooks aren't expected to launch until later this year, a new supply chain report claims that one key component supplier is sending parts to Apple as the company gears up for a completely revamped notebook design.

Notebook hinge manufacturer Jarllytec allegedly began shipping metal injection molding hinges for new 13-inch MacBooks to Apple last month, according to China's Commercial Times. Sales for the month of May were said to have increased 107.2 percent year over year thanks to Apple's apparent preparations.

Jarllytec is also said to be preparing to ship metal injection molding hinges for a new 15-inch MacBook Pro in the third quarter of calendar 2016, which runs from July through September.

Hinges are, of course, a crucial component in terms of the durability of notebooks, connecting the keyboard and processing components of a MacBook to the Retina display in a clamshell design that allows for portability. Apple is said to have redesigned the hinge on its 2016 notebooks, allowing for continued durability with thinner form factors.

Thus far, rumors have pegged Apple's revamped MacBook Pro lineup for a late 2016 launch, in time for the holiday shopping season. That would suggest that shipments from Jarllytec are not meant to be taken as a sign that a new notebook launch is imminent.

Notably, Apple is set to host its annual Worldwide Developers Conference next week, but the event is expected to focus on software, while hardware upgrades are likely to wait until later this year.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, Apple's MacBook Pro models are set to be redesigned with a touch-sensitive OLED display that will replace the row of function keys on current MacBook designs. The notebook overhaul is also expected to bring Touch ID secure fingerprint logins to the Mac for the first time.

Like last year's 12-inch MacBook, the new Pro models are expected to adopt speedy USB-C connectivity. It's also possible that Apple could use USB-C for charging and ditch its MagSafe connector, according to photos of an alleged MacBook Pro chassis that leaked online last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Unless OLED function keys do something more than physical keys can't than the change is worth or help reduce weight or thickness or overall size. I am sure Apple has always done good job thinking through to amaze us so will wait and ready to upgrade. I had hoped that intel wold have come out with it's 10nm processor for the next Macbook pro upgrade.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I can think of quite a few software-driven ideas for a touch function keys. A biggie would be shortcut keys that could be customized and change icons depending on the program being used. Instead of trying to remember which key is used in which program for key tasks.
    edited June 2016 radarthekat1983
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Make'm 3D touch, Peek & Pop commands would be cool on that row. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hey guys this article was about hinges.  

That at being said I'm still very hopeful for new laptops at WWDC.   At least a few updated.  
    Butidonttweetpulseimages1983
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Some students who want to start school in August/September would like an earlier launch please...
    radarthekatpulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Make'm 3D touch, Peek & Pop commands would be cool on that row. 
    The Force Touch trackpad already does this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The idea of an OLED touchbar for shortcut keys, but plastic butterfly keys for the rest, just seems....odd. Even if the OLED bar has ForceTouch, I'm not sure I could ever get used to the inconsistency... I'm hoping all keys will be customizable glass OLED ForceTouch. If you're going to get wet, you might as well go swimming.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    Unless OLED function keys do something more than physical keys can't than the change is worth or help reduce weight or thickness or overall size. I am sure Apple has always done good job thinking through to amaze us so will wait and ready to upgrade. I had hoped that intel wold have come out with it's 10nm processor for the next Macbook pro upgrade.
    Don't rely on Intel for any real innovation going forward. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

The idea of an OLED touchbar for shortcut keys, but plastic butterfly keys for the rest, just seems....odd. Even if the OLED bar has ForceTouch, I'm not sure I could ever get used to the inconsistency... I'm hoping all keys will be customizable glass OLED ForceTouch. If you're going to get wet, you might as well go swimming.
    For the past few years, Apple has been training it's user base in the use of flat keys with no travel. This is a slow process that requires patience and finesse. If they go too quickly then the user base will revolt. 

Function keys are used by very few people, relatively speaking, so it's a good place to start. If you can change the functions depending on the app currently in use then more people will start to use them and more people will get used to the feel of them. 

This is a test bed for Apple; they want to see if a OLED force touch keyboard is possible five or six years down the line. They're thinking of numeric keypads that appear when requested. They're thinking of not having to manufacture different keyboards for different regions. 
    mathteacher
  • Reply 10 of 11
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    Rayz2016 said:

For the past few years, Apple has been training it's user base in the use of flat keys with no travel. This is a slow process that requires patience and finesse. If they go too quickly then the user base will revolt. 

Function keys are used by very few people, relatively speaking, so it's a good place to start. If you can change the functions depending on the app currently in use then more people will start to use them and more people will get used to the feel of them. 

This is a test bed for Apple; they want to see if a OLED force touch keyboard is possible five or six years down the line. They're thinking of numeric keypads that appear when requested. They're thinking of not having to manufacture different keyboards for different regions. 
    I wonder if I'm ever going to like a keyboard without key travel. I still prefer the keyboard on my IBM x40 laptop over Apple's.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I agree but that ain't going to happen!