Rumor: New MacBook Pros will be announced by Apple this month, begin shipping in August

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2016
Apple is set to revamp its notebook lineup in the coming months, and could pre-announce a drastic change to its MacBook Pro hardware as soon as this month, a new rumor claims.

Citing details from a "reliable Chinese supplier," Macotakara reported on Wednesday that Apple is set to announce a new MacBook Pro lineup in June. Aligning with earlier leaks, the report claimed that the redesigned notebook will feature USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports, ditching legacy USB-A connectors, as well as Thunderbolt 2 and MagSafe 2 charging.

Confusingly, Wednesday's report also claimed that Apple is planning to announce a "new MacBook Air" this month as well, but said it was "unclear" whether the products would be unveiled at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference. It was said Apple plans to cancel production of the 11-inch model and focus on 13- and 15-inch versions to launch in August.

However, Apple's current MacBook Air lineup was given a minor update already this year, with 8 gigabytes of RAM now the standard on the 13-inch model. It's widely expected that the current MacBook Air lineup and design is on the way out, and is only being kept around to allow Apple to achieve low price points with its notebooks.

Given that Wednesday's report talks of a 15-inch MacBook Air --?a size that has never been available for that model -- it's possible that the "new MacBook Air" it purports is in the works could, in fact, just be Apple's next-generation MacBook Pro. It's expected that the MacBook Pro lineup will gain a thinner-than-ever design, which would make it more Air-like than before, and could be the cause of confusion regarding branding within Apple's supply chain.

In addition to a svelte chassis and USB-C inputs, the new MacBook Pro is also rumored to gain secure Touch ID login, and a dynamic OLED display touch bar that will replace the row of function keys above the traditional keyboard. But well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo doesn't expect that the new MacBook Pros will hit the market until the fourth quarter of 2016, which would contradict Wednesday's claims of a possible June announcement and August launch.

Pre-announcing hardware is not an unprecedented move for Apple, as the company offered a sneak peek of its redesigned Mac Pro at WWDC in 2013. The cylindrical desktop didn't actually arrive in the hands of consumers until just before the end of that year.

However, reports have suggested this year's WWDC will be a software-focused event, with new hardware not expected to be unveiled at next Monday's keynote presentation. Of course, that could be an effort by Apple to control expectations, especially if a redesigned MacBook Pro isn't going to hit store shelves until August or later.

All should be revealed at Apple's June 13 WWDC 2016 keynote, which is set to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there in San Francisco live with full, exclusive coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    It really doesn't make sense they wouldn't use WWDC for a new design. It's only been in recent years they haven't announced new hardware at the event. Heck, the original Retina MacBook Pro was announced there in 2012.

If they don't do it then, they'd have to wait until September and do it at the iPhone event.
    schlackbdkennedy1002
  • Reply 2 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Of course there will be a new MacBook Air at any moment, I just bought my wife one.    No regrets though, does everything she needs and it's quite useful for us having all the 'usual' ports.

OT but my rant for the day!   I sold her MBP on ebay last week, got a great price but then the winning bidder cancelled after two days and near the end of the auction.  I selected the second best bid (only a few $s less) but too late the auction ended hours later.  I was billed $76 by eBay for the experience and the winning buyer that dropped out had the nerve to send me a message saying she'd had a large fee and was a bit annoyed! Like it was my fault?  IMHO winning bids should not be allowed to cancel like that!  I will not be using eBay again to sell.  I sold it on Craigslist for free, the next day without any problems.
    edited June 2016 Kornbeef24bobolicious
  • Reply 3 of 41
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    New 14" MacBook will be launched at same time as new 14" and 16" MacBook Pros. 12" MacBook replaces 11" MacBook Air. New 14" MacBook replaces 13" MacBook Air. Before anyone gets too excited, the new screen sixes reflect the fact that all new Apple laptops have a smaller bezel. Form factor will be very similar to existing models. MacBook Pro is thinner, but not much. Expect astonishing battery life. You have only 7 days to wait before knowing for sure that this info is correct.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Could make quite a lot of sense if the new "touchbar" has ramifications for app developers, if they wish to take advantage of the functionality of it (assuming it's more than mere Fcn keys).
    jakebschlackmonstrosityRayz2016jhudgins84
  • Reply 5 of 41
    To piggy back on digitalclips post. I just sold my iMac on Ebay, turned out it was a scammer from Nigeria and had to cancel. Then they made me wait 30 days before I was allowed to repost because I had already "Sold" an item in that category. Then they charged me a 10% sale fee that took forever to get back because it is impossible to talk to anyone. I eventually sold it on CL for more, never using eBay again.
    mike1bobolicious
  • Reply 6 of 41
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    WWDC in a lot of ways is their pro/techie event, so it kind of makes sense to announce there. The September iPhone event is much more broad-base consumer. 
  • Reply 7 of 41
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Could make quite a lot of sense if the new "touchbar" has ramifications for app developers, if they wish to take advantage of the functionality of it (assuming it's more than mere Fcn keys).
    I was thinking the same. But could also see a situation where the touchbar is only doing first party support initially, hard enough to get it out the door, and will open up an API next WWDC? Hope they reveal it. I'm long overdue for a MBP upgrade. :)
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I so hope they will not announce anything Macbook realated at WWDC and do it properly. There's nothing to put inside new MB-s right now. Skylake is half-assed product and mobile Polaris is also nowhere to be seen right now. Kaby Lake and Polaris and we would have some sweet machines done right. Skylake with 28 nm graphics is just soooo bad. I can't even understand, why did they refresh Macbook right now? There was no point besides one hour battery life. Performance gain is lousy, at best. With Kaby Lake Apple could have integrated Thunderbolt controller and better graphics, right now it is just ... nothing. And if they refresh it again in Q4, people will go nuts. If they don't, Macbook will look outdated and without Thunderbolt in six months. Macbook could have waited for Kaby Lake as well, so it would properly fit into other Macbooks lineup. Given the bad state with IBM PowerPC updates nowadays, umm... Intel Core updates, they are clearly off-track, waiting is the only thing for Apple to do.
    I really hope, there will be no new lousy Macbook Pro-s and that Apple will announce proper updates this fall, when proper hardware is available.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    schlack said:

Hope they reveal it. I'm long overdue for a MBP upgrade. :)

Same here.  Been skipping upgrading based on what the updates have turned out to be but I really need to move my #1 down to my #2 and get a current #1.  All I want is great performance, I really don't get much of a charge out of trackpad features or a touch bar.  These are things I feel frankly that Apple used to do great and now do mostly as hardware candy, with mediocre implementation.  Thinner?  Doesn't do me any good.  What an annoying goal to continually reach for.  Why not leave that to another line?  Let the Airs be ultra thin and stop squeezing every millimeter of space out of the MBP.  It reached diminishing returns long ago.

Also, I'm one of those sad souls who had such a bad week with El Capitan that I'm back on 10.10.5 and fortunately haven't taken 10.6.8 off my #2 because that's the best system for 75% of what I do.  A new MBP is going to be El Capitan and it's a concession I'll make unenthusiastically.
    pulseimagesbobolicious
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I so hope they will not announce anything Macbook realated at WWDC and do it properly. There's nothing to put inside new MB-s right now. Skylake is half-assed product and mobile Polaris is also nowhere to be seen right now. Kaby Lake and Polaris and we would have some sweet machines done right. Skylake with 28 nm graphics is just soooo bad. I can't even understand, why did they refresh Macbook right now? There was no point besides one hour battery life. Performance gain is lousy, at best. With Kaby Lake Apple could have integrated Thunderbolt controller and better graphics, right now it is just ... nothing. And if they refresh it again in Q4, people will go nuts. If they don't, Macbook will look outdated and without Thunderbolt in six months. Macbook could have waited for Kaby Lake as well, so it would properly fit into other Macbooks lineup. Given the bad state with IBM PowerPC updates nowadays, umm... Intel Core updates, they are clearly off-track, waiting is the only thing for Apple to do.
    I really hope, there will be no new lousy Macbook Pro-s and that Apple will announce proper updates this fall, when proper hardware is available.
    Polaris is ready for use, and Apple will pay AMD to get it first. And the 15" MBP is still on Haswell. 

Most of the Skylake bugs are sleep state related; Apple can either program to ignore those or they've already got OS X ready to handle it. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 11 of 41
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Yes, quite clearly support for the new touchbar will be included in the next version of macOS. That's not something that's going to just sneak into 10.11.6.

Apple is likely announcing early, at WWDC, and the actual MacBookPros are not coming until they ship with macOS 10.12.

There is also the remote possibility that they ship sooner, with basic OS support, but no unique app support until 10.12.

• Reply 12 of 41
    TurboPGT said:
    Yes, quite clearly support for the new touchbar will be included in the next version of macOS. That's not something that's going to just sneak into 10.11.6.

Apple is likely announcing early, at WWDC, and the actual MacBookPros are not coming until they ship with macOS 10.12.

There is also the remote possibility that they ship sooner, with basic OS support, but no unique app support until 10.12.

No reason they can't ship with 10.11.7. Apple has introduced major new features in point updates before, and increasingly more often as of late. 
  • Reply 13 of 41
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I wish Apple would return to a smaller product line again, 2 pro machines 2 standard machines for lighter work. Do we really need a Macbook and a Macbook Air? 
    pulseimagesanantksundaram
  • Reply 14 of 41
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    TurboPGT said:

No reason they can't ship with 10.11.7. Apple has introduced major new features in point updates before, and increasingly more often as of late. 
    Like I said, there is a remote possibility that they ship very basic functionality for the touchbar in 10.11.6 (not 7) so that new MacBook Pros can start getting out the door.

But I doubt it. Apple is very unlikely to show off a brand new thing, demonstrate what it can do today, and THEN demonstrate what it will be able to do with next OS and developer support. No.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    To piggy back on digitalclips post. I just sold my iMac on Ebay, turned out it was a scammer from Nigeria and had to cancel. Then they made me wait 30 days before I was allowed to repost because I had already "Sold" an item in that category. Then they charged me a 10% sale fee that took forever to get back because it is impossible to talk to anyone. I eventually sold it on CL for more, never using eBay again.
    Something similar happened to me last month. I ran an auction for my MacBook and at the very end a scammer put in an obviously fake bid. What I was able to do after calling custoner support was cancel the fake bid and make a second-chance offer to the last "real" bidder. I temporarily got charged a final value fee on the fake bid but it was reversed after 10 days.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    spice-boy said:
    I wish Apple would return to a smaller product line again, 2 pro machines 2 standard machines for lighter work. Do we really need a Macbook and a Macbook Air? 
    You'll probably get your wish eventually. The Macbook Air is being kept in the lineup for those wanting a low cost entry into MacOS. The same reasons for why the iPad 2 was kept. 
  • Reply 17 of 41
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Of course there will be a new MacBook Air at any moment, I just bought my wife one.    No regrets though, does everything she needs and it's quite useful for us having all the 'usual' ports.
    I just bought a 13" MacBook Air. I'm very happy with it and will not be disappointed regardless of what is released, as this is a sweet computer. The 8 GB RAM was a necessary update and the battery life is great. Serving the purpose for which it was bought very nicely. 
    linkman
  • Reply 18 of 41
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    If I like what I see, I'll buy a 13" MBP. Here's hoping Apple and Adobe are on the same page and OS X 10.12 doesn't break Photoshop CS6. Who knows if there will ever be a dedicated PS CS7 update? I also wonder if the MBP will graduate to 16GB RAM out of the box? Seems like a solid technical and marketing differentiator since MBAs now gets 8GB.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Polaris is ready for use, and Apple will pay AMD to get it first. And the 15" MBP is still on Haswell. 

Most of the Skylake bugs are sleep state related; Apple can either program to ignore those or they've already got OS X ready to handle it. 
    Thats assuming this report is correct which I highly doubt.

I'd put more stock in Ming-Chi Kuo and Sept/Oct release. Reason, Intel has a new revision of Skylake (fixes) called Kaby Lake due to be released any day now. Since a 4th quarter release would allow them to use Kaby Lake CPU's instead, 4th quarter makes more sense, it takes Intel time to ramp up manufacturing on the chips.
    edited June 2016 pulseimages
  • Reply 20 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jlandd said:
    schlack said:

Hope they reveal it. I'm long overdue for a MBP upgrade. :)

Same here.  Been skipping upgrading based on what the updates have turned out to be but I really need to move my #1 down to my #2 and get a current #1.  All I want is great performance, I really don't get much of a charge out of trackpad features or a touch bar.  These are things I feel frankly that Apple used to do great and now do mostly as hardware candy, with mediocre implementation.  Thinner?  Doesn't do me any good.  What an annoying goal to continually reach for.  Why not leave that to another line?  Let the Airs be ultra thin and stop squeezing every millimeter of space out of the MBP.  It reached diminishing returns long ago.

Also, I'm one of those sad souls who had such a bad week with El Capitan that I'm back on 10.10.5 and fortunately haven't taken 10.6.8 off my #2 because that's the best system for 75% of what I do.  A new MBP is going to be El Capitan and it's a concession I'll make unenthusiastically.

OS X 10.11.6 beta is running flawlessly so far on my 2010 MBP i7, a 2016 MBA, a 2013 Mac mini and new Mac Pro 6 core.  I don't think my Mac SE HDFD would fair too well though ;)