Samsung may launch two bendable smartphones with OLED screens in 2017

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    The word you're looking for is "Gimmick".

Samsung could change the company name to Gimmicks Unlimited.

They certainly have no shortage of gimmicky ideas, being turned into products, and not surprisingly there are a lot of stupid people who go for it. 
  • Reply 62 of 66
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    foggyhill said:
    techlover said:
    That is what I was thinking. 

It doesn't need to fold completely like a piece of origami. Rather it just needs to bend enough to close inside a decent form factor. 

Much like how some of those little ribbon cables have done for ages.

I remember back a while when I took apart one of my broken flip phones and inside the hinge was a little ribbon cable that must have been bent and folded thousands of times. Never had an issue with the little ribbon cable.

It was the screen and shell that cracked. Which may not happen if it was as durable as these OLED's appear to be, as well as using more modern materials and designs.
    There is no material right now that allows say 20 unbending a day and not break.
    Samsung is pushing air, like Google.
    You might very well be correct, right now. I am not in that business and don't have knowledge of the properties of every material known to humans.

But companies like Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba or whoever else are likely working on it. With the constant R&D going into display technology, I would think that someone will find a solution.

Ten years ago, I wouldn't think that in ten years we would have nearly paper thin, nearly indestructible, flexible high resolution OLED displays. Yet here we are living in the future.

I still have the first iPhone and will fire it up every now and then just for kicks. At the time it came out, the screen was so amazing and I was absolutely floored. Now its like looking through a screen door, through another screen door.

It's mind boggling how far the screen tech has advanced in ten years.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    thedba said:
    So Samsung just released a .... wait for it .... CONCEPT VIDEO!

WOW! Where do I sign up for it?
    Either reading comprehension skills is lacking or you are doing it on purpose. I'll assume you are with the latter. I know this technology is ground breaking.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    Remember stylusgate, just throw bendgate issue at customer. You have bended it wrongly.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 65 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    thedba said:
    So Samsung just released a .... wait for it .... CONCEPT VIDEO!

WOW! Where do I sign up for it?
    Either reading comprehension skills is lacking or you are doing it on purpose. I'll assume you are with the latter. I know this technology is ground breaking.
    (laughing) No.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I'm going to withhold judgment until it's released, reviewed and in my hands.