Apple employees raise Tim Cook to 8th place in Glassdoor CEO rankings

Posted:
in General Discussion
An anonymous poll of employees at Apple has given Chief Executive Tim Cook a 96 percent approval rating, ranking him No. 8 among U.S. companies surveyed for Glassdoor's annual Employees' Choice Awards.

The jobs and recruiting website revealed its latest 2016 CEO rankings this week placing Cook in the top 10 in America for the second year in a row. Last year, Apple's CEO ranked number 10, while in the two previous years he came in at number 18.

The awards are based on anonymous feedback from employees who voluntarily complete a company review approving or disapproving their CEO's performance. The review also asks about the quality of jobs, work environment and employer treatment over the past year.

Rated by 4,331 Apple employees, Cook ranked eighth among the 50 highest rated CEOs. Topping the list was Bob Bechek, CEO of Bain Capital in Boston, Mass., with a 99 percent approval rating.

Source: Glassdoor.

In the job satisfaction survey of 7,379 employees, Apple employees rated the company highly for benefits, a stimulating work environment and collegiality. Complaints centered on a lack of work-life balance and long hours.

Other noteworthy CEOs on the list include Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook (No. 4), Jeff Weiner of LinkedIn (No. 5), Sundard Pichai of Google (No. 7), John Legere of T-Mobile USA (No. 12), and Shantanu Narayen of Adobe (No. 20).

Cook has earned a number of accolades over the years in his role as head of Apple, including winning CEO of the year from CNN back in 2014. And last year, Bloomberg's rankings declared Cook the most pay-efficient CEO in America, in terms of salary versus performance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jbishop1039jbishop1039 Posts: 257member
    Good to hear. Hopefully he's my boss one day soon. 
  • Reply 2 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    "An anonymous poll of employees at Apple has given Chief Executive Tim Cook a 96 percent approval rating" But according to certain laughable trolls here that clearly know much better than his employees (ie. sog35), Cook is a horrible CEO, is "unfit" for the position, etc etc.
    mwhitejony0jakebsingularitynolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

does anyone believe Sundar's ranking, he has only been in charge a little of a year, has not really done much and any all the employees think he is great. I think some resourceful google people probably wrote an API into glassdoors website and drive up his ranking.

The other thing, if people are on glassdoor they are probably looking for a job, so they probably not to happy with they work.

patchythepirateargonautjony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Ah, the sweet taste of Cool-Aid as it goes down....

Maybe Apple is worse off than I thought, when so many employees don't realize the level of mediocrity that's at the top....

---

Because K2director has run several $100b companies and is ready to show Tim Cook how it's done.
    edited June 2016 stevehpacificfilmspice-boymwhitemontrosemacsai46argonautjony0jakebnolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 18
    maestro64 said:

does anyone believe Sundar's ranking, he has only been in charge a little of a year, has not really done much and any all the employees think he is great. I think some resourceful google people probably wrote an API into glassdoors website and drive up his ranking.

The other thing, if people are on glassdoor they are probably looking for a job, so they probably not to happy with they work.

---

In the case of MSFT, I suspect it's the stark difference coming from Steve Ballmer that creates the highly favorable ratings among employees. You could have stuck employee #73486 in charge and gotten a boost in ratings coming from Ballmer.  And that suggests something about Tim Cook's rating; as he is still compared to his predecessor, a hard act to follow.  So the fact he gets such high ratings means even more versus other corporate chiefs, in my view.

edited June 2016 fotoformatpatchythepirateai46jony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    slurpy said:
    "An anonymous poll of employees at Apple has given Chief Executive Tim Cook a 96 percent approval rating" But according to certain laughable trolls here that clearly know much better than his employees (ie. sog35), Cook is a horrible CEO, is "unfit" for the position, etc etc.

---

There's a big difference with Sog.  After all, Tim Cook reports to him!  Lol
    mwhiteai46macky the mackyjony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Ah, the sweet taste of Cool-Aid as it goes down....

Maybe Apple is worse off than I thought, when so many employees don't realize the level of mediocrity that's at the top....

I will support your bid to be Apple's next CEO, would you mind posting your credentials here while your at it?
    radarthekatpacificfilmmwhitemontrosemacsjony0nolamacguy
  • Reply 8 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Based on his solid changes to the App Store, I nominate Phil Schiller to take over the CEO spot once Cook leaves.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    When the top ranked CEO Bob Bechek at 99% and the number 8, Tim Cook at 96% only differ by 3 percentage points, one can say that they're all basically ranked the same. 
    jackansiargonautjony0
  • Reply 10 of 18
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 356member
    I could not find Jeff Bezos in the top 50 CEO. Must be a typo /s
    montrosemacsargonautjony0jakeb
  • Reply 11 of 18
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    To add to my post above, I actually find it amazing that a company that also does retail, is ranked that high. If you click through the links, on the Glassdoor site you can see some employee comments. 
    In Apple's case I found a few from employees working at Apple stores. 
    jackansijakeb
  • Reply 12 of 18
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Glass door? Gimme glass ceiling ratings
  • Reply 13 of 18
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    This has zero meaning.  Yup that is all I have to say.
    jackansi
  • Reply 14 of 18
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Honestly I'd love to see the Worst CEOs list. That would be fun.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Good for him..I like him!

Out of all them Apple is the only one that creates real "products!" 

Best
  • Reply 16 of 18
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

jakeb said:
    Honestly I'd love to see the Worst CEOs list. That would be fun.
    Just open your eyes and look around...

When the founder dies, and "professional" CEO's are hired, 95% of companies eventually go out of business! Apple, Boeing, MacDonald's, Coke, Ford are the exception, not the rule. 

Of the Fortune 500 companies in 1950, 88%(440) are out of business, WTF?

I've never understood why American's revere CEO's so much...must have something to with the celebrity culture?  Most of them are overpaid bozo's. 

Best
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 18
    dg223dg223 Posts: 1member
    Didn't do a great job of researching this article. Just google Bob Bechek to realize that he doesn't work at Bain Capital...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    slurpy said:
    The fact that 98% of Apple employees give him high approval does not a good thing. This kind of relevant only to a particular type that gets hired by Apple.