Apple announces it will offer App Store subscriptions to all apps, take smaller 15% cut

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    melgross said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Did it occur to you that a better business model that makes more money is a better solution than treating Applications like dime-a-dozen trinkets?

Have you noticed how pathetic the App Store has become? Have you noticed how, despite Apple's best efforts to create amazing new OS-level features every year, 3rd party developers can't be bothered to spend the time incorporating them in their Apps for absolutely 0 return?

It is easy to blame lazy developers for this, but it is just as accurate to blame Apple for not creating better financial incentives for development work. Once you get past that initial $5 download...why should a developer ever care about that user again? There has been little-to-no potential for Apps to be a recurring revenue stream for most developers. The only ones making money are ones abusing In-App purchases for fake currency, and that's not right.

You should be paying more than a 1-time $5 purchase, if that App gets better and better over time and evolves with Apple's OS.
    Not really. The entire point to the App Store is low pricing.
    I stopped reading at this sentence, sorry.
    asdasd
  • Reply 42 of 83
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    I think the move to the subscription model is a too late reaction to the app developers who more and more set up their own subscription model (Evernote, Slack, Spotify,  ... to give a few examples).  The added value that Apple brings with its own subscription model (first year 30% and later 15%) is for the app developers rather limited.  It  does not address the fundamental problem of the App Store model.  Unless an app developer launches a expensive marketing campaign, the end user does no longer discover his app among the more than 1 million apps in the App Store.  The return for 30% cut that Apple is charging, is no longer existing.
    Apple cannot do both: ads for apps and a take 30% on the revenue.  Either you pay for a service without ads or you get a free service with ads.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 43 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This begs the question: if Schiller has been able to do all this in the few months that he's been at the helm of the App Store then wtf was Eddie Cue doing in HIS time overseeing the App Store?
    I think Eddy was too busy buying shirts.
    edited June 2016 1983patchythepirate
  • Reply 44 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If this is App Store 2.0 it's pretty timid.
    These are good changes for developers and subscription based services, which is key to WWDC.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    melgross said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Did it occur to you that a better business model that makes more money is a better solution than treating Applications like dime-a-dozen trinkets?

Have you noticed how pathetic the App Store has become? Have you noticed how, despite Apple's best efforts to create amazing new OS-level features every year, 3rd party developers can't be bothered to spend the time incorporating them in their Apps for absolutely 0 return?

It is easy to blame lazy developers for this, but it is just as accurate to blame Apple for not creating better financial incentives for development work. Once you get past that initial $5 download...why should a developer ever care about that user again? There has been little-to-no potential for Apps to be a recurring revenue stream for most developers. The only ones making money are ones abusing In-App purchases for fake currency, and that's not right.

You should be paying more than a 1-time $5 purchase, if that App gets better and better over time and evolves with Apple's OS.
    Not really. The entire point to the App Store is low pricing. If that model is broken, then sales will plummet. It's not all about the developer making as much as they want to, it's a combination of that, and what the buyer will pay. It's pretty clear that buyers won't pay much, if anything, for an app. Prices have drifted lower over the years.

you're wrong about developers not caring after the sale. I've got about 300 apps on my phone, and about 650 on my ipad. Yes, that's a lot. More than half are paid apps. A number are in app purchasing, with the app initially being free. Both methods work. I'm continually getting app updates that add features, eliminate bugs, and conform to the latest iOS updates. Sometimes, I get 25 updates a day. And shortly after Apple updates, or upgrades iOS, I can get upwards of 30 updates a day for a time. So you're just wrong about developers caring. You must have very few apps. When Apple came out with the iPad Pro, there was a slew of updates for it. Then many apps updated for the Apple Pencil.

but would I have taken chances with apps if I thought I would be paying for them forever, even though most of those apps are marginally useful, that is, just a few times a year? Definitely not! So many app developers wouldn't have sold me their apps at all. But I'm willing to lay a subscription for something of major value, and it's been possible in the App Store for some time.

for example, I pay $99 a year for AutoCad 360, because I use that a lot, and it's an app of major value. See, we can do that now. I also pay for extra features in apps that I own. For example, I use AudioTools. That app has in app purchases for extra modules. I think I originally paid maybe $17 for the app, but have since spent over $100 for extra modules. These aren't the only ones. We can subscribe to Office 365 too.

so subscriptions aren't impossible now. But what Apple wants to do here will make even rarely needed apps subscription, and that's a bad idea.
    In app purchasing will still be around. 

The way app's will snare you (I think) is to charge $5 for the pro app with no subscription or $3 a year to update a lite model to effectively what the the pro model has. 

You can then waste $5 on getting the features now or $3 and if it's not working out for you unsubscribe. If it is, it's $3 a year and you get to enjoy the app for yearsas it will still be developed. When bored, stop the subscription. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 46 of 83
    I, for one, will NEVER....let me repeat that, NEVER sign up for an online subscription for software. Just in case you missed what I am saying I said, NEVER. I despise the concept and if I have to throw my iPad into the waste paper basket in order to avoid any subscriptions, that is exactly what I will do.
    edited June 2016 jackansi1983dasanman69
  • Reply 47 of 83
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Just what I don't want us a bunch of subscriptions.  It's because of Apple that we have this crap so called free app's that are not really free.  I hate this model.  For example, Real Racing 2 was great, then Real Racing 3 came out with in app purchases and it screwed the game all up!!! 

I would rather pay for a app/game but because Apple doesn't have a simple way to just download a demo version to try out and if you like it, pay the price for a the full version, instead it's turned into a fake free app store where our can cost a whole lot more money to use in the long run!! 

The other issue is there's no upgrades.  So if a new major update gets released, it's either free for everyone who already paid, which the developers get nothing for all the work, or you have to pay 100% for the app like like a new user.  There's no upgrade cost for current users.  I hear it's the same InBev the Mac store which is even a worse issue!!! 
  • Reply 48 of 83
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    TurboPGT said:
    jackansi said:
    That's all fine and dandy in the idyllic land of rose-tinted glasses...

The cynical, real-world view would be that every search term/result that threatens a well established player in a certain area could be snapped up easily by them by dominating the auctions and squeezing out the little guy...  Only difference is that Apple profits more directly from the squeezing with this move to ads.

Definitely a smart move for Apple to get more revenue.  I don't see any real benefit for the consumer or developers.

App subscriptions could be very useful for devs... if they don't go overboard with it.
    Well that's just ridiculous. In your "real-world", the App Store must not be the mess that it is today when it comes to relevant search results. Your comments on "potential abuse" cannot be taken very seriously, as you can bet it will be something that Apple will monitor and curate as needed. Its a small issue, compared to the huge benefit it brings to discoverability of Apps that should be discovered. You think Junk Apps that today prey on App Store users and take advantage of Apple's poor search results are going to start paying for top spots? Nope.
    If it's "something that Apple will monitor and curate as needed" and the App store already is monitored and practically curated already...

Why is the app store, in your own opinion even, "a mess" if this model works so well??

The best thing that could happen to the app store to promote visibility for developers would be for people to be able to hide purchased apps, as well as hide apps they just aren't interested in at all.  (maybe even apply a bit of what Apple should have been learning on how to present music to listeners based on their likes and dislikes to the App Store?)

Ad auctions are not the way, unless you're Apple and want an opportunity to get a little more money out of developers for paid placement.  It won't make the App Store even a tiny bit better.  They never made my Google searches any better.  How about yours?
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I, for one, will NEVER....let me repeat that, NEVER sign up for an online subscription for software. Just in case you missed what I am saying I said, NEVER. I despise the concept and if I have to throw my iPad into the waste paper basket in order to avoid any subscriptions, that is exactly what I will do.
    Ten years from now, you'll be running ten-year-old software. 
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If this is App Store 2.0 it's pretty timid.
    Not if you're a developer. 
  • Reply 51 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I, for one, will NEVER....let me repeat that, NEVER sign up for an online subscription for software. Just in case you missed what I am saying I said, NEVER. I despise the concept and if I have to through my iPad into the waste paper basket in order to avoid any subscriptions, that is exactly what I will do.

Since you dislike subscriptions so much, it makes one wonder how you pay for: access to the Internet;  electricity to recharge your iPad; a room to house you, your iPad and that waste paper basket; a trash pickup to haul away the contents of that waste paper basket ...

tokyojimupatchythepiratebrucemc
  • Reply 52 of 83
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

The one thing I dislike about subscriptions is it may remove incentive from the developer to develop. An upgrade model, at least as an option, which incentivizes a developer to earn the upgrade fee, should be offered.

jackansi
  • Reply 53 of 83
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm uneasy about this as a customer. With everything going towards the subscription model. Its going to end up being very expensive...it seems, for customers to keep their apps usable and up to date going forward. Call me old fashioned but I like to buy my apps outright and own rather than subscribe to the music I listen to. I'm not made of money and don't want to have to keep track of dozens of little payed for subscriptions on apps now too. But if the option remains to buy or subscribe to an app then that's okay. But I fear ultimately that buy option will go away.
    edited June 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 54 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    thrang said:

The one thing I dislike about subscriptions is it may remove incentive from the developer to develop. An upgrade model, at least as an option, which incentivizes a developer to earn the upgrade fee, should be offered.

I don't get that. People can cancel so the incentive is to keep them happy with upgraded functionality. 
    patchythepiratemattinozbrucemc
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Attending basketball games and failing to secure TV deals.
    It'll work itself out in short order. Even Microsoft pivoted on Office for iOS pricing pretty quickly.
    This serves as futher evidence that Eddie Cue's time at Apple has long since come & gone. He needs to be shown the door.
    I've been saying that for a couple of years now! And here I repeat that mantra...Cue be gone!
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 56 of 83
    I, for one, will NEVER....let me repeat that, NEVER sign up for an online subscription for software. Just in case you missed what I am saying I said, NEVER. I despise the concept and if I have to through my iPad into the waste paper basket in order to avoid any subscriptions, that is exactly what I will do.

Since you dislike subscriptions so much, it makes one wonder how you pay for: access to the Internet;  electricity to recharge your iPad; a room to house you, your iPad and that waste paper basket; a trash pickup to haul away the contents of that waste paper basket ...

That's not an appropriate argument. Paying monthly for your Internet service and electricity is not the same thing as having to pay multiple subscriptions just to be able to use dozens of necessary apps just to get through your day. It all adds up and will end up being a hell of a lot more expensive for customers over time, than the current model of paying an affordable fixed amount with free upgrades to use your favourite apps indefinitely. This is good for developers and Apple but a bad deal for customers. And if you somehow can't pay that subscription for that essential app anymore you're screwed with no alternative. And now they're adding ads to the app store too! They're becoming like bloody Google.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    Please no. Subscription based apps would be unaffordable for people like me, who save up for a week to be able to afford an app like Minecraft. 
    People that make apps have to eat too. I don't foresee every app going to a pure subscription model but the granularity of subscriptions can now allow developers to get paid only when they release big upgrades without having to abandon the old app in the store and creating a version 2. I think you will have developers that will abuse it and I think others will properly utilize it. The market will react accordingly. 
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Next up? Allowing developers to have an App "upgrade" program where you can convert a "lite" version to a full or pro version without needing to have separate Apps.
    You can do this by setting up you subscription model to not start until after the first month or to have tiers set up for demo / trial / pro etc...
    edited June 2016 mattinoz
  • Reply 59 of 83
    1983 said:

That's not an appropriate argument. Paying monthly for your Internet service and electricity is not the same thing as having to pay multiple subscriptions just to be able to use dozens of necessary apps just to get through your day. It all adds up and will end up being a hell of a lot more expensive for customers over time, than the current model of paying an affordable fixed amount with free upgrades to use your favourite apps indefinitely. This is good for developers and Apple but a bad deal for customers. And if you somehow can't pay that subscription for that essential app anymore you're screwed with no alternative. And now they're adding ads to the app store too! They're becoming like bloody Google.
    It's the exact same thing. If you expect those apps to provide online storage, use internet resources, stay updated with security patches, or even simply keep in step with your ever evolving hardware and OS features, then somebody has to continuously develop that software. Those developers need to eat and provide for their families. I'm sure you get pissed every time you upgrade iOS to a new major version and your apps don't work and you can't "get through your day." Now you have a right to be upset because you are paying for the privilege. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 60 of 83
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Someone help me understand the subscription model. Will Apple mandate that the consumer gets a choice between purchase and subscription? Would the subscription allow you major updates when the iOS had major changes and purchase would keep you at the version at the time of purchase? I do not like subscription software, but that model would seem fair.

My fear is that that will not be the way it goes down. I worry that developers will only offer subscriptions and still have in-app purchases. When given the chance to make more money, everyone takes it. So will they be lured by the hollow money grab? I say hollow because subscriptions will curb people's spending habits. I know I certainly can't afford to pay a monthly or annual fee for all of my apps.