Google to ape Apple's 'Subscriptions 2.0' payout policy without customer retention stipulation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
After Apple announced an upcoming change to its App Store revenue sharing policies that will net developers a larger cut for customers who maintain a subscription for more than one year, a report now says Google plans to offer identical terms -- minus the probationary period.

Citing sources familiar with Google's app store plans, Re/code reports the internet search giant will soon lower its cut of apps sold on a subscription basis to 15 percent, leaving 85 percent to developers. For developers, an 85/15 split is much more attractive than the traditional 70/30 split made popular by Apple's App Store and later adopted by Google for its Android storefront.

The report comes just hours after Apple announced a massive shift in its revenue sharing policies. Dubbed internally as "Subscriptions 2.0," the forthcoming model gives developers an extra 15 percent share of subscription fees paid by customers who have maintained a subscription for more than one year. As Apple's usual 30 percent cut applies in all other scenarios, the move is an apparent push toward sustainable subscription sales.

Google, always looking to one-up Apple, will make its 85/15 revenue share split immediately applicable to all subscription accounts. A rollout timeline is unknown, but Google has been trialling the payout model with entertainment companies tied to Chromecast streaming products, the report said

Earlier today, Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller went on a press tour to tout changes customers and developers can expect when "App Store 2.0" launches this fall. In addition to new revenue sharing terms, the iOS App Store will begin to display "Search Ads," or paid promotions that show up directly in user search results. Ads are to be sold via a "fair" auction system and are designed provide users with a minimally intrusive search experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Taylor Swift will complain and Apple will decide to drop the probationary period.
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Wow, the words 'Google' and 'Ape' really go well together ;)
    lollivermejsricmagman1979jony0latifbp
  • Reply 3 of 44
    I imagine google as a small child, aimlessly stumbling around the pre-school playground until they see another kid enjoying a toy, then they start throwing a tantrum because all of the sudden they have to have that toy. Hurry Phil, find a shiny object to distract them with so we don't have to hear them whining!

Seriously though, is there an Apple product google hasn't tried to copy? They tried like 6 times with the TV. Oh, and of course they mocked Siri as useless until they saw people enjoying it, now they have entire products built around their version of it. I'd be sad if it wasn't so damn funny.
    lollivermejsricradarthekatdoozydozencalijbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 4 of 44
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Revenue for Android is best through in-app ads. Google can ape iOS's terms all they like - they're still not addressing the underlying revenue problem for Android: rampant piracy and absurd platform fragmentation (both by device, and software version.) The fact that anyone can buy an app on the play store and repackage it beggars belief.

patchythepiratelollivermagman1979jony0doozydozencalilatifbpjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 44
    RosynaRosyna Posts: 87member
    The problem with not having a probationary period for 15% cuts is developers will move to subscriptions en masse because 85% is far more than 70%.

And no one wins if every single app/game developer moves to subscriptions. It only ends up screwing all users and those developers that choose not to go to the subscription route.

The probationary period Apple added was to discourage developers from being jerkasses and moving to subscriptions without having the services/content to offer.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Because Apple hasn't copied things from Google/Android as well? It's just how it works. Everyone borrows from everyone and it makes everyone more competitive for it.
    To be fair, the term 'borrow' is not apt here. Apple steal idea and make it better, anybody else copy shamelessly down to the dots.
    radarthekatlollivercalijbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 44
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I imagine google as a small child, aimlessly stumbling around the pre-school playground until they see another kid enjoying a toy, then they start throwing a tantrum because all of the sudden they have to have that toy. Hurry Phil, find a shiny object to distract them with so we don't have to hear them whining!

Seriously though, is there an Apple product google hasn't tried to copy? They tried like 6 times with the TV. Oh, and of course they mocked Siri as useless until they saw people enjoying it, now they have entire products built around their version of it. I'd be sad if it wasn't so damn funny.
    There is no copying if you bother to read the original source form Recode that AI conveniently left out. Google has been testing it for over a year now. Here it is in case you don't want to read and learn more.

"Sources said Google has already been testing the new split with some entertainment companies (so has Apple, to some extent). Google started running the new model over a year ago with video services as a way to get Play subscriptions to work with its TV streaming offerings like the Cast dongle."
    singularity
  • Reply 8 of 44
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    mathieullf said:

So mature... To be fair this is something that Google has been testing for a while, odds are devs have been pressuring both Google and Apple.
    mathieullf said:

Because Apple hasn't copied things from Google/Android as well? It's just how it works. Everyone borrows from everyone and it makes everyone more competitive for it.
    Doesn't take long for the Google apologists to come out of the woodwork with announcements like this, does it?
    lolliverpatchythepiratecalimejsriclatifbp
  • Reply 9 of 44
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    mathieullf said:

So mature... To be fair this is something that Google has been testing for a while, odds are devs have been pressuring both Google and Apple.
    Doesn't take long for the Google apologists to come out of the woodwork with announcements like this, does it?
    Not really at all. AI just left out the most important part about how Google was already working on this. 
    curt12Kawhi
  • Reply 10 of 44
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member

I don't remember Apple copies right after Google implement something.
    ai46
  • Reply 11 of 44
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Leading from the rear . . . again. 
    caliai46
  • Reply 12 of 44
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    You could say "copy", but you can't say "ape" if Google is offering more. 
  • Reply 13 of 44
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Sure, Apple has copied some small things, but Google has copied so much more. 
  • Reply 14 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Thanks for deleting my comment btw. My point was made. It's not an ape if Google's terms a better.
    singularity
  • Reply 15 of 44
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Not really at all. AI just left out the most important part about how Google was already working on this. 
    Google has been trailing the subscription model that Apple has had in place for a while. They have not rolled out their 1.0 yet and Apple is on 2.0. The article is about them copying their pricing on a product Apple has had and Google is still working on. 

cali
  • Reply 16 of 44

There is no copying if you bother to read the original source form Recode that AI conveniently left out. Google has been testing it for over a year now. Here it is in case you don't want to read and learn more.

"Sources said Google has already been testing the new split with some entertainment companies (so has Apple, to some extent). Google started running the new model over a year ago with video services as a way to get Play subscriptions to work with its TV streaming offerings like the Cast dongle."
    Who would've guessed sirlancelot would've tried to swoop in and save damsel in distress google? Shocking. I hope you're at least getting paid for this buddy.

More to the point, I'm sure google's working on a lot of things, but they can't seem to commit until Apple does. google has thousands of yes's, but it usually doesn't say "yes" until Apple does first. That's called copying.
    mejsriclatifbpai46
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    Google didn't copy everything just to be fair. Their search engine driven advertising model was not a copy. However, search driven advertising is Google's primary source of revenue. And in keeping to that model, Google has copied multiple other companies. They copied Apple Pay. They copied Watch OS with Android wear. Now they are resorting to copying Amazon's Echo. Google is also woefully trying to copy AWS for the cloud. 

Hopefully Samsung will be able to drive the adoption of Tizen and one day drop Android all together on their smartphones. With Samsung adopting the Oculus platform for mobile 3D, rather than Android, Google is about to get lapped also for VR/AR. 

I myself own an Echo after reading about Wozniak's affection for the device. It's actually a very nice product. Much nicer than anything that Google has to offer. And if Samsung would ever offer iOS compatibility with their Gear watch, I would buy one also. I am waiting for Watch 2.0, but I would be willing to also purchase a Gear watch. 

I have no interest in any product that Google produces. 
  • Reply 18 of 44
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Good grief can we give the whole copying thing a rest already?

Everyone copies everyone. We are all standing on the shoulders of giants.

That being said, one thing I hope Apple will copy from Google is being able to log into any web browser from anywhere, go to the app store page, and install any app to any device I choose.

That is one of the things Google gets right. You search for an app on the Google Play Store website from any browser, you find it easily because their search works. You then click install, and by the time you have picked up the device you installed said app to, its already downloading and installing.

It's quite slick and seamless and I think that is well worth copying. I'd love to see Apple do that same exact thing.
    croprsingularity
  • Reply 19 of 44
    techlover said:
    Good grief can we give the whole copying thing a rest already?

Everyone copies everyone. We are all standing on the shoulders of giants.

That being said, one thing I hope Apple will copy from Google is being able to log into any web browser from anywhere, go to the app store page, and install any app to any device I choose.

That is one of the things Google gets right. You search for an app on the Google Play Store website from any browser, you find it easily because their search works. You then click install, and by the time you have picked up the device you installed said app to, its already downloading and installing.

It's quite slick and seamless and I think that is well worth copying. I'd love to see Apple do that same exact thing.
    Hey charlie brown, cool it with that tired rationalization.. which does not come remotely close to the reality that the copying is extremely asymmetric. Pretty pathetic, but Apple haters have to sleep at night somehow I suppose. BTW, if Apple comes out with Apple Balloon and Apple Contact Lens I'll take my words back.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Google has to offer some extra incentive for developers to support their mess!

Interesting the news was released by Apple ahead of WWDC, rather than during the keynote. Perhaps the early announcement was to garner even wider attention. (Or was it to bury Samsung's ridiculous bendable display? D ) This year's WWDC portends to be 'uge!
    edited June 2016 ai46