More evidence of 'macOS' rebranding surfaces on Apple website

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    I agree that it should stay all lowercase. But besides that fact who really cares that this is renamed? It just does not matter.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I can hear it now... Throngs of support callers saying "makeos" or "mackos" ...
  • Reply 23 of 34
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    MacOS should not be lower case because the m in Mac is capitalized because Mac is a proper name for the Macinstosh computer.  

watch and tv in watchOS and tvOS are lowercase as semi-generic references because the actual products are names Apple Watch and Apple TV.  Without the word 'Apple' the word is generic.  

Othewise, WGAF? Don't we have better things to talk about?   
  • Reply 24 of 34
    This makes total sense to me.  If my competitor was peddling 10 (ten) I'd steer away from X (pronounced ten) too.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Wouldn't it be interesting if OS X became macOS and iOS became iOS X? 
    I think that Apple would go with macOS X and iOS X. Then next year in 2017, move to macOS 11 and iOS 11.

This seems very natural / logical to me.
    edited June 2016 volcan
  • Reply 26 of 34
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Since iOS is a variation on OS X, the change seems unfocused and confused. Like everything else Apple has done lately, it seems like an unimportant waste of time and energy.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    mj web said:
    Since iOS is a variation on OS X, the change seems unfocused and confused. Like everything else Apple has done lately, it seems like an unimportant waste of time and energy.
    Perhaps you should go work for them in product strategy and positioning, given your expertise in passing judgment with so few facts I'd bet they'd be grateful for your help because they've obviously been doing it wrong all these years, unprofitable company they are.  :p
  • Reply 28 of 34
    why- said:
    slurpy said:
    Oh sure, if you say so. It may be fine to hundreds of millions of others, but not you, so case closed. Nevermind the fact that it's iOS, tvOS, watchOS, but this one should be capitalized cause a troll like you says so.

Well Mac is a proper noun or a special word or what have you. watch and TV aren't

and I'm not sure why you're calling someone a troll for simply voicing their opinion
    You must be new here. On this board, "troll" is a synonym for "person who has an opinion that I personally disagree with."
    doozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 34
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Well if they get rid of the "X" then I suppose we can expect to see macOS 11 pretty soon.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 30 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    why- said:

Well Mac is a proper noun or a special word or what have you. watch and TV aren't

and I'm not sure why you're calling someone a troll for simply voicing their opinion
    You must be new here. On this board, "troll" is a synonym for "person who has an opinion that I personally disagree with."
    No, it's someone who uses a straw man, like you, to build an argument that suits their purpose. So, you were going meta on this definition...
  • Reply 31 of 34
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    eriamjh said:
    MacOS should not be lower case because the m in Mac is capitalized because Mac is a proper name for the Macinstosh computer.  

watch and tv in watchOS and tvOS are lowercase as semi-generic references because the actual products are names Apple Watch and Apple TV.  Without the word 'Apple' the word is generic.  

Othewise, WGAF? Don't we have better things to talk about?   
    And yet you make no complaints about tvOS. TV is always uppercase because it is an initialisation of television so your comment about it being generic would only stand if it was called "televisionOS" but it's not.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    pino_ppino_p Posts: 1member
    Capitalization aside, the new name makes it sound like Apple is going back to Classic. The name "Mac OS" was previewed in 7.5 (1995) and made official in 7.6 (1997) with Mac clones. From 10.0 through 10.6 "Snow Leopard", it was "Mac OS X". Only starting in Lion did it become "OS X".
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Personally as a long time Apple user and beta tester who tested OS X, I think changing the name is pointless. Nobody is going to confuse OS X with iOS or tvOS. I'll bet Steve Jobs would have put a stop to this.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Wouldn't it be interesting if OS X became macOS and iOS became iOS X? 

No. Don't find that anything but confusing.
    edited June 2016