Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 7' to ditch Space Gray for 'Deep Blue' color option

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
A highly questionable rumor from East Asia on Thursday claims Apple will replace the venerable Space Gray colorway with a new "Deep Blue" shade when it launches the next-generation iPhone this fall.

According to Japanese website Mac Otakara, which has in the past provided accurate predictions, a Chinese supplier revealed Apple's "iPhone 7" series will be available in dark blue, silver, gold and rose gold options. Further, it is "highly likely" that Space Gray will be nixed from the lineup, the report said.

The source also noted "iPhone 7" is slated to use the same LCD glass as current versions.

Apple introduced Space Gray alongside the iPhone 5s in 2013. The metallic color, a lighter shade of Apple's black clad aluminum, joined a lineup of silver and gold models, which has since been expanded to include rose gold.

Apple is expected to debut a next-generation handset this fall. Rumors and parts leaks point to a largely unchanged chassis design (with or without 3.5mm headphone jack) packing updated internals like an "A10" SoC, a 256GB storage tier and, for the larger "iPhone 7 Plus" variant, a dual-lens camera system. The phablet version might also come with 3GB of RAM for advanced photo and video processing and Apple's new Smart Connector, though the latter is far from confirmed.

The most recent rumors suggest LG Innotek will be responsible for supplying a majority of the dual-camera modules bound for "iPhone 7 Plus," taking over for longtime supplier Sony.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    no way....
    They would introduce a shade of red before any other color....
    • Red is the Chinese national color and represents happiness, beauty, success and good fortune. 
    edited June 2016 lolliver1983
  • Reply 2 of 43
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    I think it gets added as an option if anything. Space Grey is pretty set as a color across all Apple's products now. 
    edited June 2016 lollivermdriftmeyerredgeminipamike1TurboPGT1983nolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 43
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I like deep blue. But the space grey isn't going anywhere. 
    VisualSeedlollivermdriftmeyerargonautmike1propodcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Will it at least be consistent?

Apple seems to have a different shade of Space Gray for each model. 
  • Reply 5 of 43
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    When did we get this term, "colorway"?  It seems made up by someone who is a non-native English speaker.  Is this an actual industry term?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Nope. I could see space grey going darker, or even slate. But they would never replace it with blue.
    TurboPGT1983
  • Reply 7 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Still want Space Black with Diamond Like Carbon coating.
    Just like the Space Black Watch (and Milanese Loop.)
    mejsricnetmagelollivercornchip
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ALL of my iDevices are space gray. I like the black bezel on the front. To me, the white bezel is too distracting. It was a while before I bought a white iPod (60GB iPod Photo). I never liked the white because it was TOO flashy and visible for my taste. My next iPod was a space gray 160GB (original version) iPod Classic. I lined its "invisibility". My first two digital camers were silver (Casio EZ3 & Panasonic FZ1). Since, I have only bought black anodized cameras. Even my parrot is space gray with a black beak. :-) Now, if Apple was to come out with a dark metalic purple (or mulberry or burgundy or maroon ) model with a black bezel…well…that I may bite.
    edited June 2016 douglas baileynapoleon_phoneapartmdriftmeyerredgeminipaTurboPGTcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 43
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Apple have really stepped up secrecy and counter-information this year. I have never seen this many potential iPhone designs prior to a launch.

So far every rumour has been nothing more than a maybe. A myriad of device images and 'leaked' specifications with different details on everything from the camera options, audio jack, expansion port, build materials, screen and now colours all seem to be floating around with no solid consistency. So much so that rumours are extending into the presumptive 2017 model.

I am actually genuinely interested to see what they release this year because at this stage it could be huge or nothing remarkable at all.
    edited June 2016 Rayz2016dv8orjbishop1039TurboPGT1983cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 43
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    I want deep black.
    netmagedv8orTurboPGTcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Silver will also be renamed White Gold!
    palegolas1983
  • Reply 12 of 43
    No! Step away from the Space Grey. Do not touch the Space Grey.

This is the only colour I've selected for years. I also find the white too flashy. And too distracting when watching video.
    edited June 2016 TurboPGT1983
  • Reply 13 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    larrya said:
    When did we get this term, "colorway"?  It seems made up by someone who is a non-native English speaker.  Is this an actual industry term?
    Yes, it is an actual term.  I work at a furniture company and when we refer to the multiple finishes / colors for a given product, that's exactly the term we use.
    lolliverthepixeldocdv8orcornchip
  • Reply 14 of 43
    larrya said:
    Yes, it is a real term. My wife who is an artist uses it all the time.
    dv8or
  • Reply 15 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Does this presage a dark gunmetal blue Watch body?  I think that would look cool, and there's precedent for that color variant in the watch world. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    If this rumor is true, it pretty much cinches the deal on the iPhone 7 looking a whole lot like the 6s. People lapped up pink iPhones because it showed from afar that one owned the latest model. A blue iPhone will do the same for the iPhone 7. And if space gray is phased out, everyone who currently owns that color will be advertising they own an old model and will be coerced to buy the 7. I'm kinda tired of this obvious sales tactic and all of the money-centric fashion-ness. So much for the iPhone being "the smartphone for the rest of us."
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 17 of 43
    I really wish they'd bring slate back. That was a sexy shade of black on the iPhone 5.
    anomemejsricTurboPGTcornchip
  • Reply 18 of 43
    What we really want to know is if they will be releasing new watch straps!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    cpsro said:
    If this rumor is true, it pretty much cinches the deal on the iPhone 7 looking a whole lot like the 6s. People lapped up pink iPhones because it showed from afar that one owned the latest model. A blue iPhone will do the same for the iPhone 7. And if space gray is phased out, everyone who currently owns that color will be advertising they own an old model and will be coerced to buy the 7. I'm kinda tired of this obvious sales tactic and all of the money-centric fashion-ness. So much for the iPhone being "the smartphone for the rest of us."
    "...if space gray is phased out, everyone who currently owns that color will be advertising they own an old model and will be coerced to buy the 7..."

this sounds like something my little sister would think...or even think about. my gf is quite the fashionista in clothing, but never in a million years be "coerced" by a new color to buy one to show she had the newest phone. but, everybody has their quirks.
    mejsricTurboPGT
  • Reply 20 of 43
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    and just hours after a poster here mentioned they'd like to see this. fascinating.......

it would be a nice change though