Rumor: Apple to debut iMessage for Android at WWDC 2016

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Apple pay, my thought too.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Is anyone else having issues with iMessage? Too often messages to and from are delayed by 20 seconds or more. Not all the time but it happens enough. Takes away from the instant message philosophy. Maybe it is because I am in small town America? Just seems odd. As for iMessage on Android this is a necessary step for Apple to take. I can't imaging someone saying now that I have iMessage on my S7 I do not need to get an iPhone. In other words iMessage is not selling iPhones.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    I see a lot of students, when traveling or doing an internship abroad, put their local sim subscription on hold. In the other country they get a prepaid  sim with just data. No phone or texting possible. And then they call and text through Whatsapp. If they buy a new prepaid card with a new number no one bothers to look at the new number, texting and calling just continues. I don't see this possibility happening to iMessage anytime soon. 

Another possibility: Switch to T-Mobile (Simple Choice Plan). Go to Europe. Turn on phone. Free unlimited text. Free unlimited data. $0.20 minute calling. Done.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    mike1 said:
    I'd be happy. When sending out group messages at work, there's always one greenie in the group that pushes everybody to a standard text message. Now our IT group can force them to install iMessage and use for work messages ensuring better security.
    There's already a cross-platform messaging app just as secure as iMessage if not more so: WhatsApp.
    Just not as popular perhaps here in the US?

http://www.macworld.com/article/3053692/ios/whatsapp-outpaces-imessage-on-verification-and-forward-secrecy.html
  • Reply 45 of 60

netrox said:
    I really want Androids to install iMessage so they can message me when I am on Wifi without cell reception. I live in the mountains and there's NO cell reception at all. I can text anyone who have iMessage but not Androids so I had to install WhatsApp for that.

I haven't had an issue with this since I was able to enable wifi calling, before this use to drive me crazy I would have to walk out to the end of the driveway to a 4' area that always seems to be covered in a couple inches of rain water.

mazda 3s said:
    I've been an iMessage user since it first came out. At first it was beneficial because carriers were still charging you for texts.  Now everyone has smartphones and all the carriers have unlimited texting. 

Maybe im just clueless, but what exactly is advantage of iMessage these days over text messaging or WhatsApp or wherever else is out there?

For me the advantage is the ability to send international text (family and clients) without being charged per text by the carrier, the same could also be said for FaceTime. There are definitely other app options available but for me being able to use the same app to text my mother for example that would never use WhatsApp or similar apps and effortlessly switch to texting a coworker without having to change apps makes iMessages the winner. 

Having said that I have only 3 people that I have messaged in the last 30 days that are showing up green.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    willizenwillizen Posts: 18member
    As a current android user but one who flips back and forth between android and ios, I would welcome this. But I would prefer it be an integrated sms/imessage app. I really don't need yet another messaging app that doesn't integrate sms. 
  • Reply 47 of 60
    If the rumors about the next iPhone are true and it's limited in new features, why in the world would Apple lift one of the biggest hinderances to switching to Android? I just don't see it.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The app is called "Messages". What one sends using the app is called an "iMessage". The app itself is not called "iMessage".
  • Reply 49 of 60
    This is good news if true.

Some people point out that iMessage ( and other products, if they just pick the iMessage as one example) is selling point for Apple's H/W. However I don't think so.

To make S/W successful, especially nowadays, it should be multiplatform.
    Especially services like iMessages, FaceTime, iBooks, Notes, and iTunes are such example.
    Why is it like that?
    People choose S/W program which they are sure that the other person on the opposite side of call can use.
    For example, I can't use Facetime when I talk to people who are on Windows or Android.
    Sometimes, I can't know in advance what devices they use. (Yeah. I can ask. but anyway)
    Then choosing multiplatform program is safer.

Also, for Notes, I use Evernote, because it's available on Windows, Android as well as Apple's products.
    I'm a S/W developer who uses all of them. So, I have to access my notes written on the other platform.
    Using iCloud version? Yes. It could be the reason Apple pushed iCloud version of Notes, Pages etc. But they are not sufficient.

Then how about iBooks? I like iBooks ( have some opinion on book pricing. I found that books are cheaper in Android Google Play or Amazon often. ) I want to read books on my iPad, Mac and Android and have bookmark synchronized. However, there is no iBooks on Android devices.

So, if Apple provides those in multiple platform, their S/W marketshare will not be eclipsed by others.
    If Apple has very nice S/W products nobody uses, then what's the point?
    Also, thanks to iTunes, Apple already knows the important of Apple echo-system.
    If they loose users of messaging, notes, iBooks, i.e. Apple's echo-system iTunes movies etc, they loose the strong reason hook  people in iOS and Mac.

So, I wish that Apple would introduce others on Android and Windows too.
    Hmmm.. probably they need a group for work on multiplatform.. resurrection of Claris for focusing on that? :)
  • Reply 50 of 60
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Too late, we already have WhatsApp.
    Also iMessage doesn't work reliably, messages are marked 'send and received' but are not delivered, that's bad, very bad.
    A nice innovation would be to cut out the iCloud server and let devices talk peer to peer (a first step could be to use iCloud to get the devices ip addresses and do the communication (data) peer to peer) but this is already done with 'what the Bleep'.
    Perhaps Apple could use Bleep as the new iMessage (the i will disappear I think, so it will be Message).
  • Reply 51 of 60
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    larrya said:
    Interesting push/pull approach.  Push me away from iPhone by removing the headphone jack and reserving camera improvements to the 7+.  Pull me to Android by provided iMessage there.  Seems like a terrible idea for business.
    Android phones are already getting rid of the headphone jack as well. 

They're all going to drop it, so time to get used to it.  As always Apple is the one with the balls to make a move that everyone else follows.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    knowitall said:
    Too late, we already have WhatsApp.
    Also iMessage doesn't work reliably, messages are marked 'send and received' but are not delivered, that's bad, very bad.
    Agreed. I was sending messages to a friend in Taiwan that were marked "Delivered". I wondered why she never answered. When I visited her, I found she didn't even have iMessage enabled!

There's also the problem that messages I send/receive on my iPhone often don't show up in Messages on my Mac.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    I see a lot of students, when traveling or doing an internship abroad, put their local sim subscription on hold. In the other country they get a prepaid  sim with just data. No phone or texting possible. And then they call and text through Whatsapp. If they buy a new prepaid card with a new number no one bothers to look at the new number, texting and calling just continues. I don't see this possibility happening to iMessage anytime soon. 
    This is why I set my "Caller ID" in Messages to my email address, not my phone number (Apple, stop setting it back to my phone number!). That way, when people answer me, I get the message even though I'm using a different phone number.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    tokyojimu said:
    This is why I set my "Caller ID" in Messages to my email address, not my phone number (Apple, stop setting it back to my phone number!). That way, when people answer me, I get the message even though I'm using a different phone number.
    That's good advice.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    igorsky said:
    larrya said:
    Interesting push/pull approach.  Push me away from iPhone by removing the headphone jack and reserving camera improvements to the 7+.  Pull me to Android by provided iMessage there.  Seems like a terrible idea for business.
    Android phones are already getting rid of the headphone jack as well. 

They're all going to drop it, so time to get used to it.  As always Apple is the one with the balls to make a move that everyone else follows.
    As Apple has not dropped the headphone jack, a vaporware rumor at the moment, anyone who does could hardly be following them. And yes some companies already dropped it, even before the first publicized rumors that Apple might.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 56 of 60
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    frantisek said:
    There was opinion on Facebook that Apple will announce ApplePay p2p based on iMessage so it would make sense altogether.
    Why so Apple users can more easily lend their poor Android friends money?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 57 of 60
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    tljapple said:
    If the rumors about the next iPhone are true and it's limited in new features, why in the world would Apple lift one of the biggest hinderances to switching to Android? I just don't see it.
    Oh is that what the rumors say? I must have missed that. Can you show me where that was posted?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 58 of 60
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    In other news, Android may soon receive its first secure app...
  • Reply 59 of 60
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    icoco3 said:
    Produced by Apple there are plenty of secure apps produced by others
  • Reply 60 of 60
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    icoco3 said:
    Produced by Apple there are plenty of secure apps produced by others
    If the phone is not secure, that limits security even on Android.