Apple TV's universal search picks up Bravo, E!, Syfy & USA

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Friday added four more universal search options for American owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV, namely Bravo, E!, Syfy, and USA.

The feature means that people with appropriate tvOS apps installed will see quick-launch options for those networks if they host a show discovered through search. Accompanying each icon is info on which seasons the service has available.

Despite a mounting number of apps in the tvOS App Store, Apple's universal search support has grown more slowly, and concentrated primarily on mainstream services. In the U.S. these include iTunes, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Disney, FX, HBO, Hulu, Nat Geo TV, Netflix, PBS, Showtime, and Starz.

Support is extremely thin outside the U.S. In Australia, Canada, France, Germany, and the U.K. -- some of Apple's most important markets -- results will only show iTunes and Netflix. Outside of those regions, only iTunes movies are displayed.

Apple could conceivably address the situation next week if it announces a new version of tvOS. Virtually nothing has been rumored about the prospect, though the platform might benefit from anticipated Siri upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Whoopi! Four more useless stations.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 12
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

I probably got this backwards from most users use case - but I would have a preferred an automatic 'visual' universal curated category listing as soon as the ATV wakes up..

I sort of understand why Apple wants to do it with Siri... its neat yes, good for focused  topics  eg Louis CK, etc

But.. in generally when watching TV--- Im in total vegetable mode, I'm visual and lazy as all get out---  I don't want to think have no desired 'things to watch'--- ... show me everything in lists etc with curated categories and Ill scroll till I see something I like. IOW-  Merge all various app content in predefined categories visually.  Sort of ala Netflix app/YouTube app. Then use Siri if cant find a specific / desired. As I said, I probably got this backward...  wouldn't be the first time.

propod
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Really an extension of NBC's support for universal search as they are all NBC owned.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Um... OK....
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The feature means that people with appropriate tvOS apps installed will see quick-launch options for those networks if they host a show discovered through search. Accompanying each icon is info on which seasons the service has available.
    Fantastic for consumers.  But I wonder how Apple convinced the content providers to accept universal search.
    You'd think that content providers would want consumers to stay tuned to their channel(s).
    Universal search makes branding and silo-ing irrelevant.   (As it should be IMHO.)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    sockrolid said:
    Fantastic for consumers.  But I wonder how Apple convinced the content providers to accept universal search.
    You'd think that content providers would want consumers to stay tuned to their channel(s).
    Universal search makes branding and silo-ing irrelevant.   (As it should be IMHO.)
    Among other reasons, because they've often paid a lot of money for the rights to broadcast a show and if people are looking for it or something similar, they want to make damn sure they find it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    How about support for my own library? Geez. 
    blahfish
  • Reply 8 of 12
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    But you see, Siri search is the only thing that makes them not useless. I wouldn't ever browse these apps to see what content they have. Not a chance. But I will install them now, and leave them tucked away in a folder. If I ever search for something with Siri that happens to be in the one of those Apps, its a win.

On a related note, I REALLY think Apple needs to start including Apps that are not on your device in the search results. If an App on the store that I don't own has the content I'm looking for, it should be included in the search results, with the ability for me to fetch the App and go straight to the content.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member

focher said:
    We'll see what tvOS 10 brings. I'm hopeful that has got to be at the top of their list.

blahfish
  • Reply 10 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    *to you*. you forgot that part. common techie lack of empathy problem...assuming your needs are everyone's needs. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    focher said:
    i wouldnt hold your breath. theres a reason its taking even huge media companies months and months to offer it -- it's not easy to do. getting it to work with your random collection of stuff with questionable meta data is no easy feat. otherwise Plex would be offering it already, right?
    brucemc
  • Reply 12 of 12
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    TurboPGT said:
    But you see, Siri search is the only thing that makes them not useless. I wouldn't ever browse these apps to see what content they have. Not a chance. But I will install them now, and leave them tucked away in a folder. If I ever search for something with Siri that happens to be in the one of those Apps, its a win.

On a related note, I REALLY think Apple needs to start including Apps that are not on your device in the search results. If an App on the store that I don't own has the content I'm looking for, it should be included in the search results, with the ability for me to fetch the App and go straight to the content.
    Universal Search has ALWAYS worked like that since it launched last year.  I don't have the HBO app, but if tell Siri "Game of Thrones" the search returns HBO NOW as an option, and if I select it asks if I want to download the app.
    edited June 2016