Bluetooth 5 to debut next week with 4X speed, 2X range of Bluetooth 4.2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
The Bluetooth Special Interest Group on Friday pegged an official June announcement date for Bluetooth 5, a next-generation near-range wireless transmission technology set to feature substantial performance gains over the existing Bluetooth 4.2 protocol.

As SIG's Core Specification Working Group puts the finishing touches on the Bluetooth 5 standard ahead of expected industry adoption later this year, Executive Director Mark Powell in an email today said the new specification will be formally announced on June 16. Powell says the new spec quadruples the speed and doubles the range of the latest Bluetooth 4.2 version.

In addition, Bluetooth 5 adds "significantly more capacity" to advertising transmissions, which in turn allows device manufacturers to create more sophisticated connectivity systems like beacon or location-based services. As ArsTechnica explains, advertising packets sent out by a Bluetooth device contain small bits of information to be detected and decoded by other Bluetooth-capable devices, even if those devices are not paired.

For example, Apple peripherals like the Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad show up by name on a host Mac scanning for nearby accessories. Apple also uses data rich packets to power Handoff and iBeacon technology.

With Bluetooth 5, SIG decided to modify traditional naming conventions by dropping the usual version and point number, a move designed to simplify marketing efforts. Tech branding can at time be confusing for consumers, for example Bluetooth 4.0 also goes by the monikers Bluetooth LE, BLE and Bluetooth Smart, among other manufacturer-specific variations.

Powell did not reveal an exact launch timeline for Bluetooth 5, referencing only the second half of 2016 "and beyond." Based on past release schedules the new spec should begin trickling into consumer products late this year or in early 2017.

As a Promoter Member of Bluetooth SIG, and with an engineer sitting on its board of directors, Apple is consistently one of the first major manufacturers to adopt new revisions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    paves the way for indoor mapping to be released
  • Reply 2 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple is quick to implement new bluetooth standards announced late last year to address need for IoT devices..It extends bluetooth range, speed/bandwidth and low power requirements. My hope is new bluetooth standards get added to every upcoming 2017 car's infotainment system with carplay support so, iphone is connected to infotainment system wirelessly via bluetooth. Wifi in car may not be needed for wireless carplay.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 3 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    How good is it at remotely frying our internal organs?
    jackansi
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    So, how does the speed increase equate to how long it will take for me to throw a device that suddenly decides, for no reason whatsoever, not to connect, after weeks and weeks of successfully doing so?

For example, my iPhone's connection to my in-dash Alpine car stereo is dependent on the cycles of the moon. It'll work for 3-8 days, take 2 weeks ago, work again for 5-18 days, and so on. I'll go ahead and blame this one on Apple, since it worked flawlessly in the iOS 7-8 days, whereas the firmware on my stereo is the same as the day it was purchased. 

Bluetooth sucks. This is one area where I wouldn't mind if Apple came with its own standard. 
    unbeliever2pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Wi-Fi and Bluetooth both occupy a section of the 2.4 GHz ISM band that is 83 MHz-wide. So, Wifi and Bluetooth are twins at core but different personality. Unfortunate part of bluetooth is gadget manufacturers implement standards differently causing everyone pain.
    chiapscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 22
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Will Bluetooth 5 required new hardware?  I assume so, although it'd be nice if an iOS upgrade could deliver it.  Dreams...
    pulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 22
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Hopefully the standard went further to address the common handshaking issues. Even on the most reliable BT hardware I experience faults that make me wish I could just plug in my BT device instead.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yet another indicator the headphone jack is going away. BT 5 could possibly be the improvement Apple has been waiting on to go reliably wireless and address convenience issues with pairing devices. 
    xmhillx
  • Reply 9 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:
    Yet another indicator the headphone jack is going away. BT 5 could possibly be the improvement Apple has been waiting on to go reliably wireless and address convenience issues with pairing devices. 
    Blue Tooth pairing is slow and unreliable, not sure why its such a PITA.
    aylk
  • Reply 10 of 22
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    "Update: The article title and first paragraph originally stated that Bluetooth 5 would bring quadruple the speed and double the range of the existing protocol, when in fact it promises 2x speed and 4x range. 

Bluetooth SIG's PR agency contacted MacRumors to request the correction, owing to a mistake in the original newsletter copy that the SIG's executive director sent out."

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/10/bluetooth-5-4x-speed-and-doubling-range/
  • Reply 11 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why would they want better range? I don’t want to be hacked more easily.

Speed is good, though. Maybe one day we’ll have a low power wireless protocol fast enough to actually run ALAC.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 22
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Will Bluetooth 5 required new hardware?  I assume so, although it'd be nice if an iOS upgrade could deliver it.  Dreams...
    Yes. Bluetooth 5 means all-new chips. You don't increase speed and range by 2-4x through software alone.
    jackansi
  • Reply 13 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    moreck said:
    Yes. Bluetooth 5 means all-new chips. You don't increase speed and range by 2-4x through software alone.
    New hardware is a social construct. All chips have the same abilities, because my feelings say so.  ;)
    tomkarlsteveh
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

As a Promoter Member of Bluetooth SIG, and with an engineer sitting on its board of directors, Apple is consistently one of the first major manufacturers to adopt new revisions.

That is nice to know. At least i know a company that cares about UX is on board. All previous BT version sucks.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Just make it more reliable. I don't care about speed.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    How good is it at remotely frying our internal organs?

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/19285/if-microwave-ovens-and-wifi-both-operate-on-the-same-frequency-why-doesnt-wifi

Now consider the solar cooker:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cooker?wprov=sfsi1

Oh no,  sunlight can remotely fry our organs!  Guess it's best to be safe: live in an unlit, unheated cave 24 hours a day with no computer, no internet, no electricity or anything that emits anything from the electromagnetic spectrum be it heater, lightbulb or indeed campfire (infrared heat).

Yet oddly, the life expectancy and quality of life is better in countries where electromagnetic "stuff" is extensively used than in those where people survive at a level only slightly better than the cave dweller.
    edited June 2016 xmhillxstevehbrucemc
  • Reply 17 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ksec said:

That is nice to know. At least i know a company that cares about UX is on board. All previous BT version sucks.
    Not sure that Bluetooth can be held fully accountable for the UX that manufacturers of consumer products ship.
    singularitypscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fix the damn headline -- 2x speed, 4x range. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Range implies either a longer wavelength and thus lower frequency allowing for a lower power draw, or higher frequency sampled with more power at shorter bursts to give a clean signal over a longer range. I'll take the former.
    pscooter63chia
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    wood1208 said:
    Wi-Fi and Bluetooth both occupy a section of the 2.4 GHz ISM band that is 83 MHz-wide. So, Wifi and Bluetooth are twins at core but different personality. Unfortunate part of bluetooth is gadget manufacturers implement standards differently causing everyone pain.
    Wifi is also getting good at low energy with better range than bluetooth. With new wifi low energy wifi chips now on the market that handle all the network issues of an IoT device.

So how long is it before they collide and wifi start eating Bluetooth's market?