Siri query returns response about Mac OS X Finder app ahead of WWDC

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2016
Just a few days before Apple is widely expected to unveil Siri for Mac, a prompt to the voice-driven personal assistant on iPhone is mentioning the OS X file management application, Finder.

When asked the specific question "Siri open settings in the window," Siri for iOS responds with: "It doesn't look like you have an app named 'Finder'." The response was first spotted by Brian Roemmele.

Interestingly, omitting the word "Siri" from the query changes the response, and the assistant simply opens the iOS Settings application.

Of course, there is no Finder app for iOS, only the Mac operating system, OS X. And so the response from Siri has been interpreted to mean that Apple's servers are being updated to handle Siri input on the Mac.

Apple is set to host a keynote presentation on Monday, where it's highly anticipated to announce that Siri voice controls will be coming to the Mac. Assorted updates to Siri, greatly expanding its functionality across all of Apple's major platforms, are also expected.

In particular, it's believed that Apple will announce a third-party development kit that will allow applications to tap into Siri. Currently, Siri is limited to commands and apps enabled by Apple itself.

Apple acquired natural language processing firm VocalIQ late last year, helping to fuel speculation that it could be used to power a more advanced version of Siri. The company's technology is capable of interpreting complex commands, such as "Find a nearby Chinese restaurant with open parking and Wi-Fi that's kid friendly."

It's also been reported that Apple is working to update the Apple TV to act as an always-listening speaker, offering users access to Siri at any time in the home. That would be similar to Amazon's Echo, as well as Google's forthcoming voice-activated Home hardware.

Beyond Siri, WWDC is expected to feature iOS 10, a new version of the OS X (potentially renamed macOS), and updates to watchOS and tvOS. Apple is also said to be working on a major overhaul of the Apple Music user interface, and new Beats streaming radio stations. A more comprehensive rundown of expectations can be found in AppleInsider's WWDC 2016 rumor roundup.

WWDC 2016 kicks off Monday with Apple's keynote presentation at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there in San Francisco live, with up-to-the-second coverage of the company's announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Hopefully, they add finder to ios, it is the thing it needs most. And the real reason you still can't do pro things on ios. There are many great apps but modifying a file in one app then trying to do something else to it in another app is painful to do. Even a simple documents folder that all apps can see would be nice.
    elijahgjbishop1039tyler82spliff monkey
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Looks like Siri has already changed her reply to "It looks like you don't have that app."
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Hopefully it's better than Dictation, which was a huge mess and never worked.
  • Reply 4 of 28

The difference seems to be saying Siri or not. I said "Open settings in the window" and Settings on my iPhone opened. However, saying "Siri open settings in the window" still returns the Finder response above.

• Reply 5 of 28
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    What do you expect ??? SIRI is an IDIOT! I've got a two year old turtle that's smarter then it. To the trash....
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I want to know what 'in the window' is supposed to mean. Not sure why someone would be asking that of their phone.

PS: I find the dictation to be fantastic.

propodsteveh
  • Reply 7 of 28
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    bwinski said:
    What do you expect ??? SIRI is an IDIOT! I've got a two year old turtle that's smarter then it. To the trash....
    Always check your spelling before using the word 'idiot'. 
    jfc1138ihatescreennamesericthehalfbeemacsince1988zimmermannnolamacguymike1
  • Reply 8 of 28
    bwinski said:
    Always check your spelling before using the word 'idiot'. 
    Do you mean grammar? "then" => "than"

On an unrelated note, how do you get the battery icon in the top right to be yellow? Jailbreak?

edit: Nevermind... Low power mode.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 9 of 28
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Are you sure it's Mac finder? What if iOS is getting a finder / file system?
    harmonix23
  • Reply 10 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I just asked Siri on my iPad 'how much disk space do I have left?'   Got a strange response, 'uh oh, there's a problem.  Can you try again?'

trying the exact same query again, Siri responded, 'Sorry, something's wrong.  Can you try again?'

Just to be certain there wasn't a general problem, I then immediately asked, 'What's the tallest mountain in the world?' And immediately got a correct response, in tne form of a web page with info about Mt Everest.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Here's another that might yield different results in tne future...

• Reply 12 of 28
    Another...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Hopefully, they add finder to ios, it is the thing it needs most. And the real reason you still can't do pro things on ios. There are many great apps but modifying a file in one app then trying to do something else to it in another app is painful to do. Even a simple documents folder that all apps can see would be nice.
    Like iCloud Drive? Or Dropbox? Or Box? Or...
    stevehRayz2016
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I don't understand why Siri on the Mac is such a big deal. Voice recognition has been around for 20 years and I don't know a single person during that time that speaks to their computer.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    bdkennedy said:
    I don't understand why Siri on the Mac is such a big deal. Voice recognition has been around for 20 years and I don't know a single person during that time that speaks to their computer.
    Let's use a little imagination. Siri isn't "voice recognition", she's an intelligent assistant. And it's likely a Mac version would allow you to type in queries and commands.

• Reply 16 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    For you maybe. I use it roughly every couple of hours on average, works perfectly.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You expect Siri to understand your poor phonetics, short consonants and long vowels? Sorry, but Voice to Text works great on iOS with Siri, if you come from the Pacific Northwest, with crisp phonetics that are considered the most clear English around.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    focher said:
    I think he means a folder localized to the device, not reliant on an Internet connection. 
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 19 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,703member
    focher said:
    How about none of the above since they aren't fully B integrated and are apps you must create accounts for. Something my native with no need to set up or sign up for is preferable. 
    edited June 2016 elijahgjbishop1039
  • Reply 20 of 28
    You expect Siri to understand your poor phonetics, short consonants and long vowels? Sorry, but Voice to Text works great on iOS with Siri, if you come from the Pacific Northwest, with crisp phonetics that are considered the most clear English around.
    Don't leave out the Berkshires, of both Massachusetts and Connecticut.  This small region speaks a very similar dialect to that of the NorthWest, and is the dialect and accent, or lack thereof, taught by the Connecticut School of Broadcasting.  I was always amazed, growing up in Western Massachusetts, at how we were so close to so many distinct and different dialects from how we spoke.  100 miles east, that Boston accent from which I originated my Law of Conservation of R's (they remove the 'R' from some words, like Car (Ca) but add them to other words, like Idea (Idear).  Just 50 miles north was the distinct drawl of the Vermont accent, reminiscent of the hills of Tennessee and Kentucky.  And just 20 miles west you would encounter the upstate New York accent, a watered down version, but still readily identifiable, of the New York City dialect.  I credit early fascination with these accents with developing my ear, and vocal capabilities, that allows me to impersonate over 100 voices (at last count) and many international accents.

Frommthe General American wiki page: 'Now typically regarded as falling under the General American umbrella are the dialects of the American West,[18][19] Western New England,[20] and perhaps much of the American Midland and Canada.'

Western New England English refers to the varieties of New England English native to Vermont, Connecticut, and the western half of Massachusetts;[1] the New York State capital of Albany has also been documented under this category.[2]Sound patterns historically associated with Western New England English include the General American features of rhoticity(full pronunciation of all r sounds), the horse–hoarse merger, and the father–bother merger, none of which are features traditionally shared in neighboring Eastern New England English.[3] The status of the cot–caught merger in Western New England is inconsistent, being complete in the north of this dialect region (Vermont), but incomplete or absent in the south (southern Connecticut),[4] with a "cot–caught approximation" in the middle area (primarily, western Massachusetts).[5]

Western New England English is relatively difficult for most American laypersons and even dialectologists to identify by any "distinct" accent, compared to its widely recognized neighbors (Eastern New England EnglishNew York City English, and Inland Northern English),[6] and sometimes its speakers are therefore considered to have a General American accent.[7] In fact, the General American sound system derives from "Midwestern" speech patterns developed by settlers who originated from Western New England.[8] According to linguistic research, however, Western New England English is not simply one single or uniform dialect. Linguist Charles Boberg proposes that it be most generally divided into a Northwestern New England English (a standalone "Vermont" dialect) and a Southwestern New England English (a less advanced subdialect of Inland Northern English). Even Boberg, however, lists the possibilities of several dialectal divisions of Western New England.[9]

edited June 2016