LinkedIn's iOS Developer Community cancels WWDC watch party after Microsoft purchase

Posted:
in General Discussion
Just hours before Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote was scheduled to start, LinkedIn's iOS Developer Community canceled its San Francisco-based watch party, following the news that the social networking service was acquired by Microsoft for $26.2 billion.

LinkedIn had planned to host a live streaming of the WWDC 2016 keynote from its offices in San Francisco. But Monday morning, the official page for the watch party was updated to say that the event was canceled.

Though the page didn't specifically reference Microsoft's buyout of LinkedIn, visitors were told to visit the official LinkedIn press information site "for more information." Microsoft and LinkedIn announced the $26.2 billion purchase earlier Monday.

"We hope you are able to find alternative accommodations and apologize for any inconvenience," the site reads.

Still scheduled for Monday afternoon, however, is Microsoft's own WWDC afterparty, which starts at 5 p.m. Pacific at Twitter headquarters, located a block from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. Microsoft plans to showcase its iOS apps and services to Apple developers, and is offering free food and drinks, as well as prizes, to entice attendees.

Apple's WWDC 2016 keynote kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, where the company is expected to reveal the next-generation versions of iOS, OS X, tvOS and watchOS. AppleInsider is in San Francisco for the event, and will have full, live coverage of the announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Waaaaiiiiit a second. Linkedin was having an event today?
    TurboPGTchiaanton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 28
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    I really don't like Microsoft.

On the one hand they are committed to producing quality apps for iOS and the Mac, yet they pull stupid stunts like their disingenuous Surface commercials, and this crap here.
    pte appleschlackdm3baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 28
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    How does that make any sense? LI should be platform & product neutral. Why should who owns the company influence what its special interest groups do? At this point everything should be arranged and ready to go. Canceling just causes pain to everyone involved. I find it difficult to believe the cancelation was related to the MS acquisition.
    anantksundaramviclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 28
    If MS are as smart as recent history has suggested,
    they will cancel IOS linkedin app too. that will help accelerate the demise of linked in.
    cornchipanton zuykovviclauyycbaconstanglordjohnwhorfindrow
  • Reply 5 of 28
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I think if MSFT executes on the LI purchase well, there are a lot of opportunities. But that's a big IF considering prior MSFT performance. Still, I think Nadella is working hard to steer a big ship with a small rudder.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    schlack said:
    I think if MSFT executes on the LI purchase well, there are a lot of opportunities. But that's a big IF considering prior MSFT performance. Still, I think Nadella is working hard to steer a big ship with a small rudder.
    ....   no GPS or even a map though.

Deleted my LinkedIn account.
    cornchipviclauyyc
  • Reply 7 of 28
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    If MS are as smart as recent history has suggested,
    they will cancel IOS linkedin app too. that will help accelerate the demise of linked in.
    Like so many today, the majority of their worth comes solely from their reach and exposure accomplished via iOS.
    cornchipmdriftmeyerdrow
  • Reply 8 of 28
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    I think Microsoft paid too much for LinkedIn.
    Time will tell.
    sockroliddrow
  • Reply 9 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    LAME

Deleted my LinkedIn account.
    I'll probably be doing the same.
    viclauyycdrow
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    In their defense, this was cheaper than fitting all watch party attendees with HoloLens units that would append "Your FREE Windows 10 upgrade is ready!  You're good to go!  Schedule your free upgrade!" to every WWDC keynote slide....
    sockrolidcornchipanton zuykov
  • Reply 11 of 28
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    schlack said:
    really??? like what exactly?

I just cancelled my Premium subscription and will distance myself more from Linkedin... have used it in the past for job search, but not anymore - it's just spam, bots and crap...loads of crap
    anton zuykovviclauyycbaconstangdrow
  • Reply 12 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... the social networking service was acquired by Microsoft for $26.2 billion.
    Sucker price.

Microsoft's acquisition algorithm:
    1. Buy high (preferably at peak valuation)
    2. Sell low
    cornchipmarkm49ukbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 28
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    jasenj1 said:
    How does that make any sense? LI should be platform & product neutral. Why should who owns the company influence what its special interest groups do? At this point everything should be arranged and ready to go. Canceling just causes pain to everyone involved. I find it difficult to believe the cancelation was related to the MS acquisition.

My thoughts too. If the cancellation was related to the buyout, then whomever was in charge of this decision to cancel should be the first to go.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Too bad. I expect LinkedIn will get the same "extreme makeover" that Nokia received.

I'm a bit baffled by Microsoft. I can't tell whether they are trying to remain relevant by emulating Apple or by emulating Google? Perhaps a bit of both?

Microsoft should build a car.
    cornchiplordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Ironically I deleted my account just last week.  Looks like good timing.  Ridiculous amount of cash for such a spam ridden social network.  Look forward to the $20B write down in future Microsoft accounts.
    viclauyycbaconstang
  • Reply 16 of 28
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    26.2 Billion for LinkedIN? Me thinks this may be a stretch.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Accounting for inflation the $400,000,000.00 purchase of my fellow colleagues at NeXT Inc., with Steve and all the talent in today's dollars equates to Value: $616,351,791.53. How a Business Social Network is valued at 26.5 Billion really tells me how Microsoft thinks spying on connections will garner them a leg up in future creative endeavors, ideas and more.
    cornchipviclauyycSpamSandwich
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    LinkedIn is basically MySpace for people looking for a job and in my opinion, can go the way of MySpace too.
    mdriftmeyercornchipviclauyyc
  • Reply 19 of 28
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    A right fit.
    lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 20 of 28
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    dewme said:
    Too bad. I expect LinkedIn will get the same "extreme makeover" that Nokia received.

I'm a bit baffled by Microsoft. I can't tell whether they are trying to remain relevant by emulating Apple or by emulating Google? Perhaps a bit of both?

Microsoft should build a car.
    In line with Surface, they should make a flying boat.
    SpamSandwich