Apple rebrands OS X as macOS, announces Sierra with Siri, plus focus on Continuity & iCloud

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2016
Apple has announced it will rebrand its OS X platform as macOS with an update coming later this year, dubbed Sierra, with an emphasis on syncing data and settings through the cloud, and the debut of Siri on the Mac.

macOS Sierra was unveiled by software chief Craig Federighi at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. Siri on the Mac can be used for searching, messaging, and obtaining information such as movie times.

In an onstage demonstration, Federighi showed how search results obtained through Siri can be dragged directly from its window into another app.

The new OS will also focus on making files and settings available across devices when it launches to the public as a free update later this year. Desktop files will also be synced in iCloud, allowing the data to be retrieved from another computer or an iOS device. To clear up space, Sierra will be able to move old files to iCloud automatically.

Among its changes, macOS Sierra will give users the ability to bypass secure login on their Mac if they are wearing a securely unlocked Apple Watch, through a feature called Auto Unlock.

Apple Pay is also coming to iCloud, allowing users to authenticate purchases in a browser via a nearby iPhone or Apple Watch, thanks to Continuity.

The macOS Sierra update will also introduce cross-platform clipboard syncing, letting users copy content from one device and then paste on another.

iOS' Picture in Picture feature will also be coming to the Mac, allowing users to quickly push a video to a corner of the screen while they accomplish other tasks.

Sierra is available to developers starting today. A public beta will launch in July, and the free update will officially debut this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Desktop in the cloud. Great. I keep something like 100 gigs there, so that won’t work. Neither will Sierra on my computer, so I guess that’s okay anyway.

Does Notification Center actually, you know, keep widgets in order now? I see it’s redesigned, but does it actually keep my stuff where I tell it to across boots/logins? That’d be nice…

LATE 2009 IMAC BUT NOT THE MAC PRO. I WASN’T UPSET BEFORE, BUT I AM NOW.

I’m going to hack this shit onto my computer. I don’t even care. This is what they get for making stuff that lasts for so long.

edited June 2016
  • Reply 2 of 40
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    RIP OS X

This is the end, beautiful friend. This is the end. My only friend, the end
    Of our elaborate plans, the end. Of everything that stands, the end.
    No safety or surprise, the end. I'll never look into your eyes...again.
    Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain. And all the children are insane.

e4lcnocbuibadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 40
    isidoreisidore Posts: 67member
    Cloud? Without end to end encryption and a cloud server outside the US? Not of any use in Europe if you work in any industry the demands confidential docs are kept confidential- it wouldn't even be legal to use such a service!  I hope they haven't broken anything like local sync of iTunes to make this work. or looks like I'll have to stay on 10.11.whatever is the final version of El Capitan
    cnocbui
  • Reply 4 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Looking very good. 

Any word on compatible Macs?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

LATE 2009 IMAC BUT NOT THE MAC PRO. I WASN’T UPSET BEFORE, BUT I AM NOW.

I’m going to hack this shit onto my computer. I don’t even care. This is what they get for making stuff that lasts for so long.

Do you know of some news that apparently hasn't been published yet regarding compatibility? Yes, both of those Macs are nearing the edge and are primed to fall of the compatibility list...
    nolamacguysteveh
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Compatibility, according to Engadget:

macOS Sierra, meanwhile, is set to release in the fall as a free upgrade. According to Apple, the operating system will be compatible with late-2009 and later MacBook and iMac, as well as 2010 and later MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini and MacPro.

Looks like that'll be it for my Early 2008 MacBook Pro. 

I might look into hacking it to run on it, unless the compatibility list is only preliminary so far. Might be time for a new Mac, though. I've been able to run every version of OS X since 2008 impressively so far. 
    chiasteveh
  • Reply 7 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    linkman said:
    Do you know of some news that apparently hasn't been published yet 
    quadra 610 said:
    Any word on compatible Macs?
    It was right in the keynote.

Late 2009 iMac and... MacBook Pro, I think it was, and then everything newer.

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THAT THOSE 2009 MACHINES ARE VINTAGE. AND THEY STILL GET IT. Fuck’s sake.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 8 of 40
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    This is the most significant update in some years, I am really looking forward to the fall. 
    tallest skilnolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 40
    linkman said:
    quadra 610 said: It was right in the keynote.

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THAT THOSE 2009 MACHINES ARE VINTAGE. AND THEY STILL GET IT. Fuck’s sake.
    Thank you. 
    djkfisher
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I've been in the Apple ecosystem for 16 years. I told myself back in February that if WWDC was lame, I'm going to venture out into alternative technologies. I didn't want that to come true, but damn.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 40
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

macOS Sierra, meanwhile, is set to release in the fall as a free upgrade. According to Apple, the operating system will be compatible with late-2009 and later MacBook and iMac, as well as 2010 and later MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini and MacPro.

I might look into hacking it to run on it, unless the compatibility list is only preliminary so far. Might be time for a new Mac, though. I've been able to run every version of OS X since 2008 impressively so far. 
    You don't have to run the latest OS. Lots of people run older operating systems and they are still quite useful. Sure you'll miss out on some cool features -- you certainly aren't getting Airdrop or Handoff with it now and have survived that. Running an internet connected computer lacking security updates is another matter however.
    chia
  • Reply 12 of 40
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    isidore said:
    Cloud? Without end to end encryption and a cloud server outside the US? Not of any use in Europe if you work in any industry the demands confidential docs are kept confidential- it wouldn't even be legal to use such a service!  I hope they haven't broken anything like local sync of iTunes to make this work. or looks like I'll have to stay on 10.11.whatever is the final version of El Capitan
    Right. For business/enterprise use, I would not trust (nor would my employer) a third-party to store a bunch of my data.
    All this seamless integration sounds great until you get into the corporate world.
    mdriftmeyerafrodricnocbui
  • Reply 13 of 40
    linkman said:

You don't have to run the latest OS. Lots of people run older operating systems and they are still quite useful. Sure you'll miss out on some cool features -- you certainly aren't getting Airdrop or Handoff with it now and have survived that. Running an internet connected computer lacking security updates is another matter however.
    Very true. 
  • Reply 14 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    isidore said:
    Cloud? Without end to end encryption and a cloud server outside the US? Not of any use in Europe if you work in any industry the demands confidential docs are kept confidential- it wouldn't even be legal to use such a service!  
    well thank god youre an edge use case and whatever security clearances you need dont represent normal consumer use cases. luckily for, you can surely disable the feature.

but i doubt you even work in an industry like you describe, and are just coming up w/ chicken-little scenarios out of neurosis.
    edited June 2016 ration alchia
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Lucky me. I still use a 2009 iMac 3.06GHz on an everyday basis but I've still got Snow Leopard on it. Looks like I may try to move to macOS Sierra when it comes out. My iMac is still quite usable after all these years and I'm glad Apple was kind enough to see fit it could "use" the latest OS. I had wanted to update it to El Capitan but I don't have enough space on the 1GB iMac drive to do that. I'd have to remove a lot of junk I don't really need to another drive.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    linkman said:
    quadra 610 said: It was right in the keynote.

I think they wanted any information on upcoming Hardware, not a compatibility list.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Did anyone catch that it appears macOS Sierra runs on a new file system? Looks like its no longer running on HFS+, but rather APFS (Apple File System). 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/new-apfs-file-system-spotted-in-new-version-of-macos/
    afrodriai46chia
  • Reply 18 of 40
    isidoreisidore Posts: 67member
    isidore said:
    Cloud? Without end to end encryption and a cloud server outside the US? Not of any use in Europe if you work in any industry the demands confidential docs are kept confidential- it wouldn't even be legal to use such a service!  
    well thank god youre an edge use case and whatever security clearances you need dont represent normal consumer use cases. luckily for, you can surely disable the feature.

but i doubt you even work in an industry like you describe, and are just coming up w/ chicken-little scenarios out of neurosis.
    You have no idea what I do so why the hate speech? I work in international businesses where security can cost not only huge amounts but huge regulatory fines. Not everyone uses Macs just to look at cat videos. 
    edited June 2016 singularitybaconstangafrodricnocbui
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mjhnlmjhnl Posts: 27member
    bdkennedy said:
    I've been in the Apple ecosystem for 16 years. I told myself back in February that if WWDC was lame, I'm going to venture out into alternative technologies. I didn't want that to come true, but damn.
    I hear you! Apple is transforming into an fashion brand for consumers. They're neglecting the pro users I'm thinking about the same. Although I do like what they introduced I totally miss pro users stuff.
    macbear01
  • Reply 20 of 40
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    @isidore: ;international businesses?

S
    ure, but if you do so, you should be able to at least disable some functionality on your devices, Mr. Nadella. ;-)
    ai46chia