iOS 10, watchOS 3 & macOS Sierra betas debut for developers today, public testers in July

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
Before they launch for free this fall, Apple's next-generation platforms will be available in beta form starting today for registered developers. Members of Apple's public beta program will also be able to test the future of iOS and macOS starting in July.

iOS 10 will be compatible with iPhone 5 and newer, iPad 2 and iPad mini 2 and newer, as well as the fifth- and sixth-generation iPod touch. macOS sierra is compatible with late-2009 and newer MacBook and iMac, while the 2010-and-newer MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Mac Pro models will also get the update.

It's likely that iOS 10 will launch to the public in September, alongside the next-generation "iPhone 7." macOS Sierra and watchOS 3 could debut around the same time.

Before they're ready for prime time, Apple's next-generation platforms will be available to test for registered developers beginning today. iOS 10 and macOS Sierra will also be available to members of Apple's public beta program in July, though tvOS and watchOS are not included in the public beta.

Perhaps the most significant changes in iOS 10 are to the native Messages app, which will offer more dynamic methods of communication with integrated rich links, larger emoji, bubble effects, and third-party app integration. Apple will also bring advanced new widgets to the iOS 10 lock screen and home screen icons, among other tweaks to the user interface.

macOS Sierra, meanwhile, will mark the debut of Siri for Mac, and also introduce new cross-platform capabilities such as syncing data and settings through the cloud, and sharing copied contents from a clipboard. And Siri has also been opened up to third-party developers, allowing new commands on both iOS and Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I can't believe all the negativity I'm seeing just because no new hardware was announced (even though people in the know said don't expect any). I thought all the software updates were fantastic. I wish I had iOS 10 and watchOS 3 right now. Ironically my Twitter feed of tech journalists is mostly positive. It's just posters on sites like MacRumors that are ready to buy a gun so they can kill Tim Cook. Good grief get a grip people.
    jbishop1039creek0512nolamacguychabig
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    In all of this they have no sync capabilities for iBooks to connect with DropBox/iCloud Drive/etc. If I want to update a published work of mine to those I sent a private copy to there is no reference URL to sync to and import an updated copy into iBooks, no means other than to publicly make a revision update that requires them to download from iBookstore. Not very handy in the editing phase of pre-releases.

The same extends for business use cases. I can sync with Continuity iMessages, Copy/Paste Objects but no syncing of document revisions automatically, behind-the-scenes.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    With macOS Sierra, Apple is coming awfully close to a stripper-based naming convention. We'll know next year if they introduce macOS Cinnamon.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I can't believe all the negativity I'm seeing just because no new hardware was announced (even though people in the know said don't expect any). I thought all the software updates were fantastic. I wish I had iOS 10 and watchOS 3 right now. Ironically my Twitter feed of tech journalists is mostly positive. It's just posters on sites like MacRumors that are ready to buy a gun so they can kill Tim Cook. Good grief get a grip people.
    When you spend 20 minutes talking up iMessages you really know they had very little to show after they breezed over the real meat of the keynote. One can only assume those APIs weren't mature enough for in-depth demonstrations. I expect they saved those realities for the Lab Sessions.
    bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Soli said:
    With macOS Sierra, Apple is coming awfully close to a stripper-based naming convention. We'll know next year if they introduce macOS Cinnamon.
    iOS will be Honey, and macOS will be Cinnamon.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Sorry, BIG YAWN.

Apple is supposed to be the leader in innovation.  These updates are mostly bug fixes and logical minor updates to the current OS.   Even if we ignore hardware, this is less than exciting.  Swift is nice, but it's a cross platform world, what is being done to allow Swift on other platforms?  What is Apple doing in the Cloud?  They have these mega server centers, and compared to say Microsoft and Amazon, I don't see what they are being used for.  

I am an Apple fan since 1984, but this is getting to be too much status quo, and nothing really innovative.  Personal computing is changing rapidly, but Apple seems to be stuck.  And yes, we want to hear about new hardware, iPhone 7, iWatch 2, etc.  How about an update to the Mac Pro, or the Mac Mini?  Both are long in the tooth.  This slow, nothing really new progress is not what I have come to expect from Apple.  Hopefully more substantive announcements are in the wings.
    bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 7 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Well, to be honest, most of the negativity is from the usual suspects... that perpetually disappointed and negative crowd that has nothing good to say about Apple... ever. And these are the same suspects who label any who support Apple as delusional fanboys. Like MacRumors the nattering nabobs of negativism are slowly but surely taking over AI. In fact the entire Internet is heavily negative on any subject one cares to search on. A positive attitude is seen as a sign of brainwashing and delusions. If you like something there’s something wrong with you.
    nolamacguythepixeldoc
  • Reply 8 of 28
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Great updates. Gonna be a great release. Things people will like.

nolamacguychabigSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 28
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Soli said:
    Hilarious. Most people on the west coast will think of the Sierra-Nevada first
    charlesp2009
  • Reply 10 of 28
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    When you spend 20 minutes talking up iMessages you really know they had very little to show after they breezed over the real meat of the keynote. One can only assume those APIs weren't mature enough for in-depth demonstrations. I expect they saved those realities for the Lab Sessions.
    Yeah, I don't understand why they would spend so much time talking about the most used app on iOS.
    SolinolamacguychabigSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Sorry, BIG YAWN.

Apple is supposed to be the leader in innovation.  These updates are mostly bug fixes and logical minor updates to the current OS.   Even if we ignore hardware, this is less than exciting.  Swift is nice, but it's a cross platform world, what is being done to allow Swift on other platforms?  What is Apple doing in the Cloud?  They have these mega server centers, and compared to say Microsoft and Amazon, I don't see what they are being used for.  

I am an Apple fan since 1984, but this is getting to be too much status quo, and nothing really innovative.  Personal computing is changing rapidly, but Apple seems to be stuck.  And yes, we want to hear about new hardware, iPhone 7, iWatch 2, etc.  How about an update to the Mac Pro, or the Mac Mini?  Both are long in the tooth.  This slow, nothing really new progress is not what I have come to expect from Apple.  Hopefully more substantive announcements are in the wings.

This is a SOFTWARE conference, not a hardware conference. Honestly, did you really expect new hardware at WWDC? This isn't the place to announce hardware when you have thousands of developers who would rather know what the next generation software they develop for can do and what they can now do with it, rather than spending 30 minutes on a MacBook Pro, or Mac Pro update. And yes, it would literally take them about 30 minutes to properly introduce a new piece of hardware. You can't just say and oh yeah by the way, were releasing updated MacBook Pro's today with a totally new design. Check it out on our website for more information. 

I guess you weren't really paying attention to the keynote. There were a lot of iCloud features in both iOS and macOS. Not sure what you mean by making Swift work on other platforms???

And, why do you need to explain how long you've been an Apple fan? What difference does that make? So because I've only been one since say 1994 when I first got interested in computers does that make me less of an Apple person?
    edited June 2016 nolamacguychabig
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Real meat for who? I'm not the target audience for all those iMessage changes but a lot of people are. In my Twitter feed the iMessage changes got the most positive responses.
    VisualSeed
  • Reply 13 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Messages is most used app. the dynamic visuals seem like great fun to me (and I'm a developer). the new APIs for integrating third party functionality looks awesome. 
  • Reply 14 of 28

lkrupp said:

Well, to be honest, most of the negativity is from the usual suspects... that perpetually disappointed and negative crowd that has nothing good to say about Apple... ever. And these are the same suspects who label any who support Apple as delusional fanboys. Like MacRumors the nattering nabobs of negativism are slowly but surely taking over AI. In fact the entire Internet is heavily negative on any subject one cares to search on. A positive attitude is seen as a sign of brainwashing and delusions. If you like something there’s something wrong with you.
    I swear some of these people need help. Especially considering what happened in Orlando yesterday. If these people would take off their goddam hardware blinders they'd see some really great software improvements. Everyone wanted Apple to turn iMessage into a platform. Now that they have people are bitching because it took up 20 minutes of the keynote. Good grief.
    chabig
  • Reply 15 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

Sorry, BIG YAWN.

nonsense. I saw tons of innovation, don't know what keynote you saw. Apple Pay on web, instant log in on Mac, new Siri and messages APIs, etc etc. 

as for cloud, please tell us -- what other desktop OS has a cloud-based file system add on? you saw that right?
    macxpresschabigai46
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I might be in the minority here, but I feel like the things they focused on for iOS 10 were a little too superficial and less about system-wide UI/UX improvement like a lot of people seemed to be expecting. I hope they add dark mode cause that apparently only goes to tvOS but no mention for iOS which for a large screen often being viewed in the dark does make sense.

The Music app was in dire need of re-working. It looks cool, but it got much more complicated than in previous versions of iOS. I have it set to play one playlist when in my car, and for some reason, one day it just randomly started playing music in my library rather than the playlist without me touching a thing. Not the end of the world, but still kind of jarring when you expect certain songs and suddenly get something way out in left field. Also I tend to hear the same 10-15 songs over and over before hearing other songs in the playlist. It's like shuffle is not really shuffling very well.

I really don't care about News. I use it every once in a while but not really sure the update is worth being a "tent pole" feature. The HomeKit stuff is cool, but I'm also not sure it's that big of a deal to take up the time they did for it. I'm not saying it's not important to mention these things, but there were plenty of other things like Mail that they supposedly improved upon that would be nicer to hear about that they claimed they had no time to bring up.

I can see messages is going to be a battery-hog plain and simple. This is fine if you love all the crazy stuff other messaging apps do, but people are going to love it till they see their battery dead much quicker than ever before and then bitch and moan. I hope a lot of this stuff can just simply be disabled rather than avoided in the app. Then simply setup prompts asking you to turn them on if you get messages with these features and want to see them the way the sender intended.

Also let me upload my iTunes shows/movies to iCloud so they can be streamed from there rather than having to be downloaded and then deleted after watching so my 16GB capacity can breathe. The space on iCloud is cheap and there's plenty of it. I'm not even really using 1% of my 200GB. Also iCloud Drive is not really working for me. It shows some stuff but not everything and some files get duplicated. I deleted one duplicate file and it wiped out both the original and the duplicate...which actually means it deleted all traces of the file from both the device and the cloud. 

Maybe iOS 10 might be better than I'm giving it credit for (obviously I won't know till I get the public beta next month), but I have a feeling iOS 11 is going to have a lot to clean up. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Remember when there didn't used to be negativity?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Many of Apple's native apps can be deleted in iOS 10. Finally people can stop bitching about that.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    3D Touch works with control center now! Whoo hoo!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Will be nice to unlock my MBP and iMac with my Watch.
    Apple is really starting to leverage TouchID from iPhone -> Watch -> macOS.