New iOS Remote app will offer all abilities from Apple TV Siri Remote

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2016
Apple during WWDC announced an updated Remote iOS app for the Apple TV, promising to carry over features from the Siri Remote to iPhones and iPads.

The app will not only support touch gestures, but Siri integration to allow the same sort of voice controls available from the physical remote, said Apple's head of internet software and services, Eddy Cue.

Those touch gestures will moreover let people play games, and as before, a keyboard will be available to enable faster typing for searches and logins.

The app will also have a new splash screen during playback, displaying large cover art alongside podcast-style play/pause, jog, fast-forward, and rewind controls.

The company didn't say when the updated app would be released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    I missed this part of the keynote. Did he say whether Siri commands via the Remote app would work with the old Apple TV 3 or is that capability limited to use with the current hardware?
    ireland
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    This will make controlling apple music on apple tv while sitting on the patio listening via zone 2 on real speakers a real pleasure.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I love Apple - iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, MBP, iTouch ATV. <3
    Working at day job to pay for Apple toys so missed keynote - will we be able to use a keyboard with Apple TV or just Siri?
    Had new ATV since launch 2015.
    1. Apple CS can't find out what's going on- Back & forward on ATV still not functioning right.
    2. Home sharing cuts out in the middle of a stream and you have to reset & restart movie because ATV doesn't remember where it left off.
    3. I've checked all my user functions that might impact and worked with Apple CS and still not resolved.
    4. Hoping for an update/fix soon? :'(

• Reply 4 of 7
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I missed this part of the keynote. Did he say whether Siri commands via the Remote app would work with the old Apple TV 3 or is that capability limited to use with the current hardware?
    I wondered that too. I would think the remote would work with the ATV 2 & 3, but Siri might be a bit harder. On the other hand ... if Siri merely converts the voice commands into data on the iPhone and sends the commands over to the ATV, then perhaps with a minor software update it will work with the 3. Possibly even the 2, but since they no longer support it, that would only work if there's no update involved.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    WITHOUT Siri on iPhone and iPad being able to do the basics - play a local (stored on the physical device being used) media file - SIRI Is USELESS AS A BAG OF HAMMERS. And on MY five Apple devices, that bitch has been turned OFF !!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pte apple said:
    I love Apple - iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, MBP, iTouch ATV. 3
    Working at day job to pay for Apple toys so missed keynote - will we be able to use a keyboard with Apple TV or just Siri?
    Had new ATV since launch 2015.
    1. Apple CS can't find out what's going on- Back & forward on ATV still not functioning right.
    2. Home sharing cuts out in the middle of a stream and you have to reset & restart movie because ATV doesn't remember where it left off.
    3. I've checked all my user functions that might impact and worked with Apple CS and still not resolved.
    4. Hoping for an update/fix soon?

What modem are you using? Not your router, but your model or modem? I had Apple TV network issue for 6 months until I got a better modem.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Not at location now so can't check brand name - it's a Comcast rental - gateway combo modem/router tower got over a year ago. - never had issues with 2nd gen.Apple TV but new ATV's not playing nice.